[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fit/, what do you do when you have lost all motivation? A year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
/fit/, what do you do when you have lost all motivation?
A year and half ago I was training a minimum of 3-4 times a week, I was on /fit/ all the time and I was learning all the time.
Fast forward 6 months and I had dropped out of my sports science degree and as coaching was over I was just bumming around the house.
So for the last year it's pretty much that, just bumming around, working a few hours here or there but besides that not doing much but eating, I've gained 4 - 5kg of fat, Vidya and TV takes up most of my time and the lifting has gone down to a sporadic week on, month off bullshit because I have no drive to do it, I've tried changing programs, making my own etc but there's nothing that can keep me focused for more then a few days.
What do you do? How do you get that spark back?
Is it because I flog the log too much?
Should I sue bethesda?
Should I only watch Sly movies on netflix?

tl;dr Lost Spark, no joy, how to get back?
>>
File: 1448454801651.png (24 KB, 559x509) Image search: [Google]
1448454801651.png
24 KB, 559x509
>>
>>35042804
Take it easy man, don't be so hard on yourself. Can you tell me what program you were doing, what were your goals and what is your current weight?
>>
Go watch an hour long documentary on Navy seals going through BUD/s training.
>>
>>35042840
I was doing 5x5, an Olympic lifts one and my original body building one. The 5x5 one lasted me months but it was just too short and didn't feel fulfilling.
I'm 92kg currently and my goals were the standard, lose weight, increase weight lifted, nothing huge.
>>
>>35042874
Is there any on youtube?
>>
>>35042891
Replace short with intense
>>
>>35042804
It sounds to me like this is less about lifting and more about having lost your drive in life. Not lifting is just the logical consequence of it.

What caused your loss of motivation? Is it that you dropped out of your degree, or was that caused by something else as well?

If you have an end goal of who you want to become; your mind, body and soul will align to become that person, and with it your daily activities.
>>
>>35042891
No wonder you burned out - you were doing something insane. Let's take it step by step.

1) Start doing Greyskull LP with arms to get some of your strength back. If you were doing a 5x5 I'd assume you ended up as an early intermediate and you didn't switch to an appropriate training style.

2) Keto diet until you lose that 4-5 kg you gained. It's mostly water so it won't be that slow or annoying for you.

3) When Greyskull starts failing too many times and two of your squat/bench/DL are or are near 1.5xBW/BW/1.75-2xBW for 1RPM jump on The Texas Method. To calculate it, just divide your work-set weight by 0.8.

I hope this helps.
>>
i feel you man, i took 5 months off inadvertently and have been milling about, was 68kg and am now 72kg, but tell ya what bud you just gotta give it a chance going back, im on week 2 and yeah the first 3 days dicked me hard but its fucking worth it man. you dont have to tell yourself to go for forever or a year or 6 months, just promise yourself a full hearted month and see how you feel about it?
>>
>>35042804
Its your goals desu. Sign up for a meet, challenge one of your friends to be the first to bench press 3 plates, give yourself accountability.

One unfortunate thing about humans that mostly holds true is that if we don't have to, we probably won't. Give yourself more impending deadlines and you should hopefully kick it in gear.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think if you train for bodybuilding, you should find something else more performance based. Bodybuilding is super subjective and corrupt and minimal changes can take months upon months with little objective evidence to show how well you're doing. In WL or PL for example, you either lifted more or you didn't - so you know exactly how well you were doing. Consider this if you're a bro-lifter.
>>
You have not that much knowledge to gain anymore and you saw that having a fit body is great, but not the cure to all problems in life. Many people have a hope that lifting will make everything in their life better, but after a while when the changes of your body are minor it can get boring.
I had lost all motivation about two years ago, but after investing so much time in my body and looking muscular being very important for my self esteem, I still went once a week to not lose that much mass.
For me doing strength training and having a new gym partner who was as dedicated as I was in the beginning helped me. I got stronger very fast and finally had something I could work for. Now I change between strengh and hypertrophy every now and then.
Maybe you also feel like a loser, because you dropped out of sport science and don't want to remember that shit, so you stopped doing sports.
So in my opinion you should:
- find a gym buddy that is motivated
- if you don't have much muscle mass, do a hypertrophy training and if your are weak do a strength training so you don't just train to keep mass/strength
- force yourself to go 3 times a week, after a month it will feel normal again, but you will hate it in the beginning
- don't feel bad that sport science degree. I fucked up so many times and still love my life most of the time
>>
>>35042830
This
>>
Hahaha, Fallout 4 is so good, am I right?
>>
>>35043014
Hahahahahahaha7daysinhahhahahakillmehahahahaha
>>
Wow thanks for the responses.

>>35042920
I don't think it's my drive for life that I've lost, I've never really been one of those driven, know what I'm going to do in life people, and thus, I've never had an end goal, I can't think of what I was to do in 5 years time let alone the rest of my life, I just do whatever I feel like/enjoy.

>>35042930
Those weren't at the same time, I started the 5x5 at the start of them year, then the OL, then the BB.
I haven't heard of greyskull, I'll look that up!
Thanks heaps for your /adv/ anon.

>>35042938
Yeah it sucks man, feels like you take a huge step backwards.

>>35042940
Alright, thanks, yeah strength training is my favourite, the only probably is I'm never left feeling like I've really worked, not like the feeling a long body building sesh has and I liked to feel fulfilled.

>>35042946
Thanks heaps, that's some solid advice, how often do you change between strength and hypertrophy training?

>>35043014
>>35043023
It's 10/10 goty, don't care if Im a shill level
I'm about 7 days in too, doing a brotherhood run now
>>
>>35043035
Here's an explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqu3scZhamo&index=9&list=PLy3QIlcyl-OFQso1R4Sj8LOK6oNMwSOuy

No problem my friend - just remember to pick up some microplates.
>>
>>35043035
>how often do you change between strength and hypertrophy training?

Normally I do strength training with 4 sets of 6 reps and once in a while 2 sets of 3 with really heavy weight. After a while 4x6 gets so extremely hard that I don't even feel rested at all anymore and I feel more and more like skipping a day. That is the time when I do hypertrophy, but because I am training for over 7 years now and don't take any steroids I won't get much bigger, so I do it until I get bored of it and feel more and more like skipping a day. Then strength again with lowered weights in comparison to the weight I used when the last strength phase ended. No specific time, I just go with the feeling.
>>
>>35042896
Check youtube.
>>
>>35042804
Go to a psychologist and talk about your depression.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.