[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Muscle strength <-> size correlation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
Good afternoon /fit/izens,

>tldr
Muscle strength <-> size correlation?

I come to this board with a question I hope you can answer. Before I go any further, no I don't lift, and since I am not a /fit/ regular, most of your local memes and jokes are probably lost on me.
I myself am not the world's strongest man, and I am the first to admit that. While I am 6 feet and two inches of pure muscle, all that muscle adds up to a whooping 140lbs, so basically a stick figure. Girl arms. Whatever.
Point is, yesterday a few mates and I helped a friend move, out of her parents' house and into a flat I believe, doesn't exactly matter. Fact is, we were carrying around a bunch of fairly heavy pieces of furniture, half disassembled cupboards, a queen size bed and the like. Most of which are made of massive wood, so probably about as heavy as me myself.
During this, I noticed some friends of mine having trouble carrying around or even lifting up some of those pieces, be it alone or with someone else, while I didn't feel particularly distressed moving around those same pieces in their place.
What wondered me was the fact that those very friends are all, without exception, heavier and more muscle-y than me (well thats not very difficult, but yall know what I mean).
So what I am asking is this, do I just happen to have pussies as friends, or are some muscles just stronger than others, while being "smaller" outwardly?

I would like to stress again, I know next to nothing about what makes muscles strong or any /fit/-related topic for that matter, so if this is a stupid question, bear with me.
>>
File: durrgertsen.jpg (160 KB, 897x1010) Image search: [Google]
durrgertsen.jpg
160 KB, 897x1010
Bump because I cant gauge this board's bump speed
>>
>>34998513
They were probably sore from lifting heavy on the previous day, friend.
>>
>>34998770
No, most of them dont lift either afaik. Granted, some of them were between 10 and 40 years older than me.
>>
>>34998884
if they don't lift, then their arms were simply burdened by the large amounts of fat in their arms
>>
>>34998951
>large amounts of fat in their arms
None of us are exactly fat... 180lbs for 6ft+ people is not fat, is it?
>>
No one exactly knows how any of it works, especially not here. It could be anything or any combination things including age, nervous system, height (leverage), muscle mass, genetics, hell even blood flow and much more upto and including God and Jesus. There's a lot of shit that goes into it and there's no simple answer.
>>
Do you have any photos?

It can be anything, maybe they were already tired, mabe they don't lift, maybe it was just fat, etc.
>>
>>34998513
No, muscle size =/= strength because while muscles do the work it is the nerves that instruct the muscles how and how much to fire. That is why some bw folks train only for strength. You can train your nervous system to be more efficient but only to a point. Big muscles + trained nervous system will beat small muscles + trained nervous system every day. See Al Kavadlo or C-mass book for a better explanation
>>
sounds like you wank too much
>>
>>34999056
so basically magic.

>>34999066
Didnt bring my camera (why would I?).
We were six:
K - she moved. Probably doesnt lift. Mid 20s. Bit squishy. 6ish ft.
J - her BF. Know that he doesnt lift. Mid 20s, heavier than me but not by that much. 6'2.
me - see OP.
D - friend of K, J and me. Mid 30s. Ca 180lbs, 6'3ish. Works some CS desk job I think.
A - D's gf. 6'2, ~200lbs
M - K's dad. Late 50s probably, manager at bank. 5'6, way over 200. Suprisingly had the least problems, we would usually team up on the heavy stuff.

>>34999088
>Big muscles + trained nervous system will beat small muscles + trained nervous system every day.
and I am guessing small muscles + trained(ish) nervous system > bigger muscles but no nervous system?
Huh. interesting.
>>
>>34999161
I actually definitively don't, but this is a blue board so I wont tell you why.
>>
>>34998513
You simply had a good day OP
But you should start lifting in case you are some freak of nature and can achieve gr8 things
>>
>>34999175
The Dad is 5'6 and his daughter is 6'0. The mother must be an amazone.
>>
>>34999223
I forgot one possibility : he may not be her dad.
How tall is the mother OP ?
>>
Sounds like you're actually some sort of mutant or superhero and they're just regular people op
>>
The guy in his 50s had the least trouble because of old man strength. It's one of those things about muscle and strength that's hard to explain how it works or to disprove it.
>>
bumping in the name of OP's fine movie taste.
>>
>>34999252
Old man strength is a mystery to me. How does it work?
>>
>>34999235
Her mother doesn't necessarily have to be amazone tier, just taller. And general family genetics play a part
My dad is 5'6, my mother 5'9 and I became 6'4
>>
File: Peter_Sellers.jpg (170 KB, 1024x587) Image search: [Google]
Peter_Sellers.jpg
170 KB, 1024x587
>>34999219
>>34999223
Mother is taller than the dad but shorter than the daughter. But thats not how genetics work, see >>34999290. Got one like that in my family too...

>>34999237
>>34999219
kek

>>34999252
>>34999284
seconded. Just giving less fucks?

>>34999269
Pic related for you
>>
>>34999290
Good for you.
I admit I don't know much about genetics transmission from parents to children.
So if your children get influenced by your father genetics, you could have a manlet son while you're 6'4 ?
>>
>>34999335
jup
>>
>>34999335
Yeah could be.
I don't know shit so it's just speculation.
But my grandparents on my mother's side where not as tall either (5'6 grandma, 5,9 grandpa) although I guess certainly above average for their time and out ethnic origin
>>
>>34999290
>>34999335
My Dad is 6'0" and my mum is 4'11"

I'm 5'7"
>>
>>34998513
in a complex compound movement (movement using many joints), there is usually a muscle/musclegroup that limits the total liftable weight. i.e., your legs, back and core can be that of the mountain from GoT, but if your handstrength is shit, you can not lift hundreds of kg.

I assume that this is the cause. it is probably either gripstrength or lower back strength. grip strength varies a lot in normal people and is not exactly visible (too much). same with lower back, also, they could have some starting back problems or back illnesses.

that is probably the explanation.
>Muscle strength <-> size correlation?
to answer your question: there is, of course, a correlation between muscle size and strength. if you are a twig, you can not deadlift 400 kg. however, your muscles can get used to the same movement and then get more effective/ better at it. if you go into the extremes, thats what the muscles do to 99%. the guy that holds the pushup world record (which is thousands of pushups) does not have the most developed chest in the world. in fact, he looks pretty weak.
>>
>>34999381
makes sense, thanks

also thanks to all yall others in here
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.