[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important is it to rest a muscle group for a day or so after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1444417196622.jpg (68 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1444417196622.jpg
68 KB, 480x640
How important is it to rest a muscle group for a day or so after a workout?

Like if I work bench press one day, should I avoid doing bench the next day? Or contrarily, would doing bench multiple days in a row result in decreased gains compared to avoiding back to back bench press?
>>
>>34964292
If you are able to bench the next day, increase the weight. Just start to lift and stop asking stoopid questions ya cunt.
>>
>>34964292
>STICKY
>>
>>34964292
>Like if I work bench press one day, should I avoid doing bench the next day?

Yes, that would be wise.

Usually you'd want your lifts to not be consecutive. For example,if you bench twice a week and squat + dead once a week, you'd want it to look like this, for example:

>Squat, Bench, Dead, Bench
NOT
>Bench, Bench, Squat, Dead

Just helps with recovery.

>Would doing bench multiple days in a row result in decreased gains compared to avoiding back to back bench press?

Can't say I've done this, so I can't give an answer. I can however say that I've done the method above, and have been benching twice a week for a few months now.

Definitely give it a shot, it's worth doing.
>>
File: 1436518347247.jpg (42 KB, 500x402) Image search: [Google]
1436518347247.jpg
42 KB, 500x402
>>34964292
the main thing is to ensure you have enough recovery time.
and it is not just your muscles that need this recovery.
it is your tendons and ligaments and cartilage and all those other things too.

and it isn't just frequency. it is volume and intensity.

if you have a heavy bench day, you could probably have light bench day. but you would be nuts to have two heavy days in a row.

base it on joints used though, rather than muscle groups. a heavy push through the elbow is different to a heavy pull through the elbow, but it they are both heavy loads on the elbow.

there is a balance to be reached, where you have enough frequency, volume, and intensity to force the required/desired bodily adaptations. but not so much that parts are overworked or worn out.

don't throw in another heavy day. add a lighter day, and gradually increase the weight on the extra day.

also, there are a myriad of assistance exercises you could do instead of doing another bench (or whatever) day.
>>
If you can add weight and finish your sets, it'll result in gains. I.e if you are stronger than you were yesterday, you can work out today.

If you can't add weight or finish your sets, if you have to use less weight than you did yesterday, then you're weaker than you were yesterday, and if you work out today you'll be even weaker tomorrow. And your muscles will shrink since you're lifting less and less weight each workout.
>>
>>34964292
Are those Druids?
>>
I don't think it matters for beginners or easy movements, but I did my one arm chin up training Monday and tried to do it today instead of Thursday. I could barely do half of the workout.

For harder stuff it makes a lot of sense to rest more than 1 day.
>>
>>34965733

they look like greybeards
>>
>>34965733
Hieroschemamonks or schemamonks of the Orthodox Christian Faith. The schema is the poncho-like thing they throw over the habit and has the shape of a cross which symbolizes them carrying the cross like Jeebus did. It's only given to the most dedicated monks. Those guys in the pic probably spent praying practically without break for 40 years.

Fascinating.
>>
>>34967149
Why does the symbol on their chests look like the one in the hebrew faith of kabbalah if they're christian???

Dont jews and christians not like each other?
>>
>>34965095
>If you are able to bench the next day, increase the weight

I feel like I'm stuck in a situation where I can't do this. If I bench my normal amount I can do 5x5 with the weight, and not be sore the next day. But if I add 5 lbs to that weight, I can barely make it through a set. It's like I'm stuck between either lifting not enough or too much. How do I get around this?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.