[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/swim/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
Welcome to /swim/, exclusively for the discussion of swim related items, including training, technique, competition at the swim meet or triathalon. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum, and no bully.

>premiere edition

Post progress, lap times, videos, or anything else swim related.

>If you are new to swimming please read the sticky first before asking questions: http://pastebin.com/Au7YQS4d
>>
There has never been a demand for a swimming general. Take it to /asp/.
>>
>>34955884
Alright thanks.
>>
>>34955841
Gave the wrong link, this is the one:
http://pastebin.com/1crFVex3

>>34955884
fuck off
>>
>>34955841
>>34956847
shit non of the links is working
>>
File: 1445433431032.jpg (59 KB, 896x921) Image search: [Google]
1445433431032.jpg
59 KB, 896x921
Fuck off we don't need more chatrooms
>>
>>34956903
who are you quoting?
>>
any way to not have huge rings around my eyes after using swimming goggles?
>>
>>34958060
Loosen them, but then you risk them leaking water, just keep adjusting them until you find a balance
>>
>>34958060
Not if you want to keep them from leaking. If you're using competition goggles instead of recreational goggles for your workouts then you're going to have some gnarly raccoon eyes. Recreation goggles have a bit more flex and padding around the eyes to be more comfortable but if you're wearing any sort of goggles for a long period of time you're going to get rings.
>>
>>34958060
i bought a larger set of googles because it felt like they were squeezing my eyes, the larger ones don't leave marks that i've noticed either.
>>
File: 1446697604722.jpg (674 KB, 962x1280) Image search: [Google]
1446697604722.jpg
674 KB, 962x1280
Would swimming in between lifting days hinder recovery? Also I don't care about become a swimmer, I just want to do it for cardio and pump up my lats a bit. Would doing breast stroke be enough or should I mix in other styles?
>>
>>34958832
Breaststroke will work lats but not nearly as much as freestyle. Breaststroke will work your pecs though. Also breaststroke is the least cardio intensive stroke because you are doing one kick and pull for each breath, but that kick and pull has more resistance than free or back.
>>
What kind of excercise do you guys recomend to git gud at butterfly? I can manage to do 25m or 50m of fly but then I get tired as fuck. The last monday I managed to do the 400IM but had to stop a few times in the first 100m of fly because I felt my head was about to explode.
>>
>>34959073
Keep doing it. Don't stop at 25m just take a 15-20sec rest (no more than 30) and keep going. Do at least 4 25's. Keep increasing every time, start doing 50's. It hurts but it's the only way.
>>
>>34955841
How the fuck do I master breathing technique(s)? I feel like I have the muscle and cardio ability to go further, but my breathing pattern is crap and I always need to stop halfway across the pool to catch my breath.

With practice I got a bit better, but I still can't stay afloat and breathe comfortably while swimming slowly. And even when I go quicker and have momentum on my side, if I miss a single breath in the pattern, I'm basically fucked for that lap.
>>
File: 1430074134596.webm (2 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1430074134596.webm
2 MB, 640x640
>>34958980

But breaststroke seems to be the one to tire me out physically. Freestyle allows me to do ~100 meters, maybe more if push through, but I feel that I get winded due to poor technique and not due to my muscles getting a workout. (I do three arm swings per breath till i get winded and start breathing on the same side every two swings). I can perform breaststroke for longer as well. without stopping.
>>
>>34959284
That's exactly right. You get winded from freestyle because it's more cardio intense but your physically tired from Breaststroke because it is more muscle intense. That's why breaststroker's are more bulky.
>>
>>34959283
>have the cardio
>stop halfway across the pool

>across the pool
>across

mfw
>2020-5
>not swimming widths for minimum swim gains.

Do one lap breathing on each right side stroke.
Then a lap breathing each left side stroke.

Then laps breathing every second stroke -a lap each side.

Best pattern is three strokes - breath. This allows you to see both sides. And means your technique should be sufficiently balanced.

But if your anaerobic capacity is so poor, you might want to work on that shit. So push for breathing every 5, 7, or even 9 strokes. Not all the time, but just like lifting weights, you don't want to spend all your time doing the same thing... Even if swimming is primarily a cardio-respiratory workout.
>>
>>34959283
Buy a swim snorkel. All competitive swimmers college level or above have them because they're great for fine tuning your stroke.
My guess is you need a better technique and are losing momentum and wasting energy on your breath. Beginners suck at swimming and breathing, it's like walking and chewing gum. Your body should be streamline and the breath is just a simple turn of head in addition to normal body rotation before the pull. A snorkel will let you get the proper technique down while continuing to build muscle and ability. Once you've got that down take it off and just turn your head slightly.
http://www.finisinc.com/Freestyle-Snorkel
>>
>>34959661

walking and chewing gum what the fuck does that mean
>>
>>34959073
Try doing it with fins for longer distance. Each kick will get you farther out of the water so it'll take less effort to pull and you can focus more on form.

Like>>34959194 says, just keep doing it. Fins will allow you to keep going for longer. There's a plateau that you'll need to break with form that takes a lot of work, kind of like a fat person trying to do pullups will need assistance so that they can get more than a few reps in and actually make some real progress
>>
I enjoy swimming, but after a few days of hitting the pool in a row my ears get really itchy. There's probably something growing in those enormous cavities, enjoying the water.

What do I do to prevent this? Toughen it out? Try to dry my ears more after sessions? Remove my own ears?
>>
>>34961115
Maybe you got an ear infection. Also try some swimming earplugs and see if anything changes. After the swimming session clean your ears with water and dry them with a towel.
>>
I've been lifting for 2 years, but I've always hated cardio, thus, neglecting it, but I love swimming. I'm going to start taking roids, so, now cardio is a must. Is it a good idea to incorporate swimming sessions as cardio?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.