[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Desperately need your help, /fit/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 750x555) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74 KB, 750x555
Hello /fit/,

I don't ever visit this board, in fact this is my first time. I'm coming here because I need help, and /r9k/ mainly consist of lazy NEETs who can't offer me any help. I'm coming here because I need you guys to point me in the right direction. In less than a year (next July), I will be joining the USMC. I don't know how long after July I will be shipped off to basic training, but I'm assuming it's not a long time. My problem is that, currently, I am not "physically fit". I am average weight, average height, and I am not a person who works out. I'm just an average guy. I'm worried that I will struggle physically in basic training. I want to be able to succeed in every physical problem thrown at me, and I will also be tested. Pic related. I am 18 so I am part of the first group, but I can barely even do a single pull up right now and 50 crunches is a lot for me given the 2 minute limit. However, I am not a bad runner. I have already been running 3 miles on and off and my fastest time is around 23 minutes. When it comes to that 3 mile run, I get very tired at about over a mile and I HAVE to stop running at 1 1/2 miles. Please, any suggestions on how to become physically fit enough to excel in basic training would be greatly appreciated.

(Side not: I'm nearly positive that those are the correct standards for the Physical Fitness Test, but I could be wrong. I just pulled them off of military.com )
>>
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 750x1236) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 750x1236
OP here, this is a score chart for the PFT.
>>
>>34951924

>/r9k/
>think he can join the marines

Holy toppest kek & lel, batman.

You'll be crying by the end of the first few days pulling out, guaranteed.
>>
File: heels3.png (532 KB, 622x416) Image search: [Google]
heels3.png
532 KB, 622x416
>>34951941
every wing of the modern US military is pathetic

he'll fit right in
>>
>>34951924
Well the good news is that those minimum requirements are pitifully low and easy to achieve.
They are very simple and you have many months to prepare so you don't really need any complicated training program.
Simply do pull-ups, crunches and run as often as you can and you'll reach the required level of fitness in no time. It's that simple really.

If you want some more concrete recommendations, get a pull-up bar that can be mounted in a doorway in your home and make it a rule to perform a couple of pull-ups every time you pass through that door every day (if you're strugling with a single pull-up, start out doing negatives i.e. step up on something and just lower yourself).

Also watch out for injuries. Stretch your latissimus dorsi every day to prevent tightness in this muscle, which can result in poor shoulder mobility. Watch out for shin splits too.
>>
>>34951941
Ok thanks for the help. Didn't know you guys were such pricks. Just trying to get good while I have the time. Can you really offer nothing but insults?
>>
>>34951967
Thanks a lot man. Any way to prevent shin splits other than taking a break from running? Because that's honestly why I stop running and then don't start back up for a while.
>>
>>34951979
Good running shoes, proper running form (may want to have a professional check you out), massage.
And of course, simply not going from never running to going balls-out all day erry day. You've gotta ease into it.
>>
>>34951979
most people who think they have shin splints actually don't. They just get sore from running and using muscles in ways they never have. Just buy good shoes (theyll run about $100-$120) and don't have shit running form.
>>
>>34952010
Hey thanks a lot man. You've really helped me out quite a bit.
>>
>>34951975
you're a small guy
>>
File: 1444508196392.jpg (15 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1444508196392.jpg
15 KB, 300x400
>>34951975

To people who are worth it and can make it; yes.

To a whiny beta-max faggot; no.
>>
>>34951979
lel, he thinks he's got shin splints cause his puny legs hurt from a little run.
stick to /r9k/
>>
>>34952044
Ok so you just assume that I'm a beta faggot because I occasionally browse /r9k/? I just came here to look for some help man. I'm just trying to get in good shape.
>>
>>34951979
start off with not too much running.

better to run a little less slightly more often to begin with. not every day though.

preferably run on grass to begin with.

if you need to get a lot fitter, from a non-runner starting point, look into fartlek/hiit training. so basically sprint-rest-run-rest-sprint-rest kind of thing. each session you want to reduce the rest period a little, or the sprint distance, or the speed etc.

even c25k.
>>
>>34952048
When I run like that I run 3 miles everyday for about a week and that's when it starts to feel like I have shin splits. I don't know why you guys are so good at assuming instead of asking.
>>
>>34952049
no there's a 95% youre a beta faggot for browsing this site

going to r9k

and then asking fit for advice

that just settles the question
>>
>>34952060
I'm asking for fit advice here because this is the place I thought could help the most. And so far a few people have helped a lot. You, on the other hand, find it necessary to mock me for asking a few questions on how to better myself.
>>
>>34952088
kek

how can you be swirling in the 4chins shithole so long to the point where you browse /r9k/ and still be this clueless

autism
>>
File: catkek8.jpg (65 KB, 332x313) Image search: [Google]
catkek8.jpg
65 KB, 332x313
>>34951924
>pull-ups: 3
>3-mile run: half an hour
>>
>>34952106
The objective is to score with flying colors not the minimal score.
>>
>>34952104
Because I stick to /r9k/. Everyone says you guys are a bunch of queers so I stay away from here.
>>
File: 1439112107882.jpg (49 KB, 759x508) Image search: [Google]
1439112107882.jpg
49 KB, 759x508
>>34952158

>People say they're queer so I'll stay away from them

It's a shame you can't hear what people say about /r9k/, senpai.
>>
>>34952158
And everyone says /r9k/ is full of beta fedoras. Probably worse than reddit. But you don't stay away from that, and that's because you identify to them :-)
>>
>>34952060
this
>>
>>34952158
or you just have no reason to be here because youre a dyel faggot
>>
>>34952158
Yeah /fit/ enjoys the occasional dick and we have le rare pepe spaghetti spilling population, but at least we're not closeted like /fa/ oromega tier losers with 0 discipline and mental fortitude like /r9k/.
>>
http://www.sealswcc.com/PDF/naval-special-warfare-physical-training-guide.pdf

Next time, READ THE FUCKING STICKY
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.