[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Injury General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 5
File: Snap-City.jpg (115 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Snap-City.jpg
115 KB, 960x720
Hey /fit/

30 minutes ago, I was squatting with my gym buddy, and I just hit a new highbar squat PR @ 275lbs (yeah yeah I'm a pussy), pretty easily, with decent form.

Then I did 225x5 highbar with ok form, and nothing hurt.

Then I did 135x3 front squats easily

Then I just fucking unracked a 185lb front squat, and as I was getting ready to squat it, a lightning bolt ran down the left part of my upper back, and fucking debilitated me. I could barely fucking talk it hurt so much. The pain seems to be localized right under/behind my left shoulder blade. Foam rolling doesnt really hurts, and it doesn't really seem to help. My lower back is fine, but it really hurts to round my upper back. What the fuck did I just do to myself?

Also, Injury General
>>
Possibly strained a muscle, upper back works heavy when front squatting. I would just wait some time, it should regenerate itself
>>
>>34921082
Is there anything to do besides wait? How can I be sure I didn't fracture a rib?
>>
I know you niggas are injured
>>
>>34921117
If you fractured a rib, you wouldn't be typing here. You'd be lying on the floor in pain and you'd probably see bruising.
>>
>>34921265
Fair enough, so have any good suggestions for stretching out my upper back?
>>
Man, I just got injured on friday from some complete bullshit. Finished 3 heavy sets of x5 squats and then did 3 easy sets of back extensions with a 25kg disc. On the last set felt something tug in on the intersection of my glute and lower back. Felt no pain then, but the spot started feeling weird. Later on, the same area started feeling bruised.

Have been icing it and using ibuprofen since then. I can still feel it when squeezing my glutes together or bending down with one leg. Going to take a week off and just do floor presses.
>>
Same happened to me a couple days ago. Wait it out, don't to lower back shit until it's completely gone.
>>
>>34921542
How long did it take you to feel better? Think I could bench on Tuesday?
>>
i hurt my back doing OHP this week.

i think i will do yoga for now on; assuming i ever get better
>>
>>34921675
I hear my back pop doing OHP sometimes. Am I going to die?
>>
>>34921675
If you're doing seated OHP, try tilting your head back all the way so your looking straight up. Help me take some pressure off my back.
>>
>>34921685
Is it your back or your shoulder?
>>
>>34921055

I don't got anything major as of now, just little minor sprains, my left knee has been bothering me due to poor impact form on cleans and snatches, but that's getting better. With all my training i have to constantly be stretching and foam rolling or else i get tight, and i get the occasional tender elbows from my stretching. Need to visit as sports massage therapist tho.
OP why did you try to pr on two squating lifts in the same day? What are you stupid?
>>
Hijacking thread for a personal question

I started weightlifting as well, and I just hit my first PR with a 5x5 1pl8 on a Smith machine.

But whenever I do squats I get an aching pain the next day in my lower back. Is this the feel of gains or am I fucking up my back?

I try to keep my ass out and I go fully down, nearly ass to grass.
>>
File: pukein.png (10 KB, 432x414) Image search: [Google]
pukein.png
10 KB, 432x414
>>34921726
>>
>>34921661

2 days and it was bearable, 3 days and it was gone.

Yes, you can bench.
>>
>>34921723
A 185lb front squat was still a warm-up, that's why I'm so pissed. As for why, I don't know, I just felt really good today. All my roommates are gone, I slept 10 hours, I ate a good breakfast. Sometimes you just feel like a beast. Yesterday I hit a new bench PR and an OHP PR.
>>
>>34921726
It's most likely the feel of gains. If you want that to go away, you need to do barbell squats. The Smith machine is too limiting.

Keep your hands in close to tense your upper back, and widen your stance.
>>
>>34921775

Sometimes less is more anon., should of just hit something else. ALso

>bench stresses upperback
>so does ohp
>so does high bar
>prs on all of them
>then you front squat
>>
>>34921726

I hope you're not doing the same weight on bar bell as you do on smith, lower the weight, record your form, and ask plg or owg
>>
when i hurt my shoulder the only thing that helped was swimming, and i tried everything and felt like i was just fucked. Swimming and stretching and now im better then ever.

Just start slow and know your body (pain/sore)
>>
>>34921705
My back. It doesn't hurt or anything, but kinda sounds like when you pop your knuckles.
>>
>>34922254
You need to stretch it more.

>>34921845
I've been running the same split for a month now, and I'm also running MK-677 for better recovery as well. It's easy to say less is more, but sometimes you just gotta not be a bitch and fucking push it. I know not to fuck with squats now though.
>>
>>34921055
Any one else hurt a wrist being too cocky while putting dumbell on your thigh?

I did sort of a curl up of 70lb with one arm, to do DB bench press.

Now the ulnar-wrist area has a lot of crepitice, and if I do curls for a long enough time (not so much with hammer curls) OR push ups; I'll slowly get a stinging pain in my wrist.

Sucks man.
>>
>>34922464
Yeah, I've had that happen before. After flat benching 100lb dumbbells I tried to just place them on the ground instead of dropping them, and I torqued my wrist pretty bad.

It's just a time thing, wait until it feels better.
>>
>>34921055
Sounds like a nerve is being compressed. Could be because of knot in your back or worse case a vertebrate. If it doesn't subside with rest ice and heat got to a doc asap
>>
>>34921117

>My upper back hurts
>How can I be sure I didn't fracture a rib?

>upper back
>rib

uwotmate.jpg
>>
>>34922805
Should I do forearm curls/extensions with a band? I avoid flat curls or anything like that, sticking to ez bar and hammers or cable/rope
>>
>>34921468

Any of you phaggots got a theory on this?
>>
>>34921055

sounds like you pulled an intercostal muscle
>>
>>34921468

did you roll and stretch everything out? try doing a quadratus lumborum stretch
>>
>>34921055
one month ago, during bench press, I started to feel pain in my right shoulder joint. I stopped working out for a month (havent visited a doc), one week ago I tried benching my usual weight, and the pain was back after one rep. I wanted to get back to gym this month, should I visit doctor?
>>
>>34922965

Yes, I stretch and foam roll nearly everyday. Always foam roll before workouts.
>>
Question whats the rule on ice vs heat? Friend has SI joint issues. From what I understand neither will really penetrate the area enough to matter as much as ibuprofin and rest will.
>>
>>34923022
I always found a warm up set or two was better than any stretching, and so save massages/stretch for post workout.
>>
i stopped all exercise in july because of elbow tendonitis. it still feels exactly the same (occasional slight pain). urge to kill myself rising and rising...
>>
I've been having a pain in my lower leg from squats. I can vaguely feel it the entire rest day, and as soon as I warm up it evolves into a shooting pain.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with my form to cause this? Putting weight on the front of my foot and lifting the heel?

And should I just keep working out but be really conscious about form correction, or wait until the pain is entirely gone? I feel absolutely no pain from deadlifts.
>>
>>34923197
Alternating is supposed to help blood flow in and out of inflamed tissue.

The thing that some people still advise, but that modern medical science tells us is bad, is excessive icing and anti-inflammatories. It gets swelling to go down, sure, but inflammation has a purpose. You don't want to stop your body from healing itself.
>>
>>34923197
Ice = use immediately after the injury to reduce excessive inflammation and related tissue damage
Heat = use after injury has almost completely healed to promote tissue mobility and movement

Heat immediately after an injury is going to exacerbate inflammation and cause more damage than necessary. Remember that acute inflammation causes damage, and chronic incorporates healing.
>>
>>34923586
Thanks.

Related, I always have this issue too after I pop a pimple/cyst. Never sure which to use there once the skin is broken and draining.
>>
Ι have chondromalacia on my knees but the doctor said I shouldn't worry much and to keep working my legs so I can stay good ! He advised me to get some glucosamine supplements and I think that they really helped me. Anyone who has the same issue and can share some tips or things to do/supplement ?
>>
Worst that's ever happened to me was mild Golfer's Elbow from Skull crushers and a lower back thing for a week from squats
>>
I think I pulled my lower back muscle today.. did heavy deadlifts + hyperextensions as usual and the rest of my workout. Felt nice burn in lower back, nothing wrong. After workout I was doing seated calf stretches and immediately afterwards felt sharp pain in my lower right back above the glute. When resting it doesn't hurt but moving is kinda unpleasant.

How to recover? Should I refrain from doing squats the day after tomorrow?
>>
>>34922888
what is anatomy
>>
constant pain in my sternum not being able to crack/pop after slouching at a chair for hours on end.

since the first time ive been unable to crack it has been tender to the touch for almost a year now. have tried everything nothing fixes it.
>>
>>34921726
>1pl8 on Smith machine
>1pl8 squat
>using Smith machine
I hope you're a beginner or this is pretty inexcusable
>>
>>34921265
>You'd be lying on the floor in pain and you'd probably see bruising.
That seriously varies. Some people will full on break ribs and on the outside look normal pain and bruising wise. If OP is having discomfort breathing then that would be a symptom to look out for, but a fracture ain't no thing. Hell some people don't notice anything but a bit of soreness with fractures.

That said shooting pain down the top of the back doesn't sound that much like usual rib fracture pain.

Ice the area and rest OP. Also take some aspirin or ibuprofen or something It could be all sorts of other shit but at least get the inflamation down.
>>
>>34924191
As I have heard before "there is a lot of cartilage in the ribs". It's uncomfortable as hell for sure but it feels worse than it is. You can ice the area, but stretching out the pecs, abs and neck muscles can provide some relief, as can doing the same things you would for a slipped rib (rolling around on your back and squeezing the rib cage). Also look out for if any ribs are stuck when you breath.

As you get older it'll stop happening.
>>
Can't do
>deadlift
>squat
>rows

My back hurts what can I do as an alternate to these three?
>>
>>34924538
There are no alternates. Just wait until you feel better.
>>
>always suck at deadlifts
>always stall at like 280-285lbsx5, but even all the warmups are hard as shit
>get a form check and realize I'm trying to pull back immediately off the ground and I'm doing a stiff-legged deadlift
>fix form and decide to start at 235x5, while increasing ~10lbs each session
>only doing 1 set because running ICF
>First do 5x5 255lbs squats
>then do the one set of 235bs deadlift and it feels like nothing, like I could probably go up to 3plates at least
>next day insane DOMS (have had a lower back injury before so know the difference between soreness and injury)
>have doms all week, failed at 260x5 in the squat and only was able to do 245x3 in deadlift
>couldn't do rows and barely able to do other lifts because of lower back soreness

Is this normal? I'm hoping that when I go in to dl on Wednesday the DOMS will be gone by then.
>>
>>34925034
Just make sure you're eating and resting properly, Sometimes when I miss my protein DOMS hits me like a motherfucker
>>
>>34925046

ok thanks!
>>
>>34921055
If you're actually going all the way down, a 275 squat is on par with a half squat of 375 lbs, more or less, and a low bar parallel squat of 340.

I'm lead to believe that your squat fuckin sucks and isn't as deep as you think.

I could low bar 255x1 and half squat 250 for reps after 6 months of lifting but it has taken me well over a year to be able to high bar 275 for set of 5 ass to grass.
>>
>>34925108
you fucking idiot
>>
>>34921117
Have you tried not being a pussy?
>>
>>34921265
I fractured a rib about two weeks ago. Passed out in the shower after giving blood, must have hit it on the way down. Fucking sucks. Hurts like a bitch, but if there's one thing that can teach proper breathing, it's a fractured rib.
>>
>>34925120
What I said matters because you shouldn't hurt yourself squatting 'pussy weight' if it's actually that easy for you to handle.
You should probably examine your squats because I can almost assure you they suck cock
>>
>>34925169
Yeah... Sucking cock... Mmm
>>
>>34925169
implying that that is a bad thing for your squat to do
>>
File: Tanktop_Tiger_profile.png (39 KB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
Tanktop_Tiger_profile.png
39 KB, 275x275
Is my lower back being sore after a diddy normal?

Ive recently started dead lifting with what I hope is proper form (back not rounded) but my lower back is always sore when Im done

The last thing I want is an injury
>>
>>34924759
How do I know if I really hurt myself or not? It's been two week and my back is still sore
>>
>>34925034
No it's not normal. You need to stop half squatting like a faggot and slap 1 plate and a 25 on each side and start from scratch on your 5x5 squats.

It's normal to deadlift 80+ lbs more than your squat as a beginner, intermediate or advanced lifter. Only when you become extremely advanced or you hit heavyweight do leverages prevent your deadlift from exceeding your squat.

You're just a literal weak faggot.
I deadlifted 315 for 10 reps after a set of heavy squats, and my squat is 270x5. I'm not extremely tall or short. I'm a normal size and weight. But I use proper form.
>>
>>34925281
what do you think deadlifts are for exactly
>>
>>34921468
>>34922931
It's most likely an inflamed iliosacral joint. The muscles that tie into there- glutes, spinal erectors, hamstrings- can all cause pain in that area.

I've had this kind of soreness from squatting and sumo deadlift and it was clearly not a slipped disc of any kind, but rather a joint and muscle pain. A shitty pain, but certainly no huge problem
>>
Damaged the cartilage between some of my ribs at the beginning of the year and it's still not good enough to twist fully or tighten my core. How do I heal it quicker?
>>
How the fuck do I rehabilitate a fucked hip flexor? It's been hurting for like 4 weeks now
>>
How do I lift when I have severe carpel tunnel syndrome?
>>
>>34922464
Yeah happens to me 6 months ago. I lift 80lb DB to do Arnold press and do it to myself when I was facing the DB.

The pain last 3 months. As >>34922805 said it's matter of time. Hope no big deal.
>>
>>34922999
I had the same problem I was worried I tore my rotor cuff. Dr did an X-ray confirmed it wasn't torn, gave me a shot of cordisone and a script for anti inflammatory meds. Now I'm back to new.
>and checked
>>
>>34927308
With great difficulty. If it's caused by squats (as mine was), stop squatting till the pain goes away. Then begin stretching and rehabilitation. If you feel the need to go back to squatting, make sure you always warm up properly (not just 5 warm up reps, proper rep consisting of stretching and 5-10 mins on a bike or sth). Start at a low weight, focus on form. Make sure you aren't using the hip flexor to drive the lift; if you feel a tug on it coming back up you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>34925108
>>34925108
OP here. I usually stack 2 35lb plates on a 1ft box and touch my ass to that. It brings me just below parallel with my 6'5" frame.

>if I can highbar 275, I can lowbar 340
Congrats you pulled those stats completely out of your ass. Lowbar usually ups your squat by maybe 10% if you practice it. But I don't cause lowbar sucks.

>counting a half squat as any form of measurement
That's horseshit and you know it. I could probably unrack 405, but I'm not gunna count that in my stats.

I've been working out for a little over 6 months now. An extremely dedicated power lifting routine for the last month (plus MK-677) has upped my stats as to the following:
>Bench up 20lbs to 245lbs
>OHP up 20lbs to 165lbs
>Squat up 50lbs to 275lbs
>Deadlift up 0lbs to 315lbs
Take that for what you will.
>>
>>34921055
My knees are sore as shit from doing box jumps. How do you guys get your knees/tendons to be normal again after being sore?
>>
>>34927669
That just sounds like impact soreness. Stop doing so much impact work. Why are you doing box jumps anyways?

When my legs are sore, I usually just stay off them for as long as I can.
>>
>>34927726
Our MMA gym made us do them -_-
>>
>>34921265
>implying people dont play hockey with broken ribs all the time
>>
>>34927764
If you absolutely need to do them, land on the balls of your feet. Minimize hard contact with the ground and use your toes to soften the blows.

Or tell your 'coach' to suck a dick and let you squat heavy ass weights.
>>
>>34927330

get it treated, try to avoid doing anything that exacerbates it. You can probably use the cable machine's strap attachments to do some stuff
>>
>>34927795
>>34927795
I'll try the balls of my feet, thanks!
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 523x523) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 523x523
Help me /fit/ i fucked up bad
Monday feeling like a beast, tossed extra 50 pounds on my squat for 1rep max
Managed 2 reps
Tuesday legs are completely fried
End up getting in a scuffle, wrestled a bit and chased him a short ways, legs feel even worse
Weds, try 1rep max on deadlift, fail
Ever since knee has had hollow aching pain behind and below kneecap, nothing swelling, gets worse at night when i sleep, not subsiding, how do i fix this so i dont lose my precious precious t-rex legs and end up looking like a curlbro??
>>
Fatty here, earlier this year i was working to get fit by going to the gym with my friend and learning lifts but i got discouraged by problems with my knee that have only gotten worse. It's partly caused by being fat but also from walking on oily/slick floors at work. Now every time i bend my knee, with or without weight it causes a crackling noise and feeling in my knee.
Has anyone else had a similar injury? Im finally going to the doctor this week so i can find out the problem and start exercising more in addition to my diet.
Im just not sure what to expect?
>>
>>34928052
This is why encouraging fat people to lift is so goddam stupid. Lose the weight and your knee will sort itself out.
>>
I've got pain in the middle of my back like all the muscles are strained. I was doing 3lp8 shrugs and on the last rep as I was lowering I loosened my core too soon. Total amateur move and I know it. I was rushing to try and get one more exercise in before needing to leave.

What can I do to help speed the recovery along. I've foam rolled and stretched, but is there anything else I can do?
>>
>>34921379
>>34921117
>>34921055
Can you do a crunch, or does it hurt like hell?
>>
>>34923251
Don't stop exercising, work on balancing out your arm instead. Adding some curls and consistent pullups back into my routine made mine go away. Also work on a more neutral elbow position in squats
>>
>>34921055
it's called a muscle spasm you retard, probably because you stressed the fuck out of your back by doing a PR lift and then doing more training volume.

Give it a week or two.
>>
>>34930838
OP here, it hurts pretty bad. It hurts way more to lift my hands over my head though.
>>
sometimes i strain my neck and it hurts to turn my head alot
goes away in three days or so though
what could be causing this? i do stronglifts
>>
>>34921468
I got pretty much exactly what you're describing last week after doing heavy diddies. I did my usual routine of molding mobility, foam rolling and starting stretching (all in the sticky) and went to bed. It was 100% fine the next day.

I don't think you should ice your back.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.