[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /fit/'s opinion on elevation training masks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: img-science.jpg (133 KB, 872x335) Image search: [Google]
img-science.jpg
133 KB, 872x335
What's /fit/'s opinion on elevation training masks? Do they actually do what they claim to do? I would like to be able to jog without breaking down like a beat-up pickup. I also do death metal vocals so the expanded lung capacity and diaphragm strength would be stanky.
>>
File: 1446687277873.png (201 KB, 491x824) Image search: [Google]
1446687277873.png
201 KB, 491x824
>>
>Do they actually do what they claim to do?
No.
>>
>>34852756

>find out how

i bet doctors hate that little gadget.
>>
If I pull that off would he die?
>>
>>34852832
Excellent meme, fellow Redditor!
>>
>>34852756
They make it harder to actually breathe. Like the diaphragm and the little intercostal muscles involved in pulling air into you have to pull harder.

It doesn't do a single thing for lung capacity or red blood cell count because you're not actually getting less oxygen. It won't help with anything.

Move someplace with a higher elevation if you want those effects. No you can't just visit, it takes too much time for the effects to set in and they go away very rapidly.
>>
Why not just train while breathing through your nose?, maybe blocking one of your nostrils?
Or just tie a scarf around your head covering the nose and mouth.
>>
>>34852756
they are supposed to simlate high altitude. thing is, you only wear it for an extended period of time (like a 45 min workout), after that you can go back to breathing normal amounts of oxygen. climbers working in high altitudes stay at a certain altitude for days/weeks to aclimatize their bodies to the lack of oxygen, they don't "take off their masks" when they're done training. they also suffer a multitude of symptoms at these altitudes caused by the low amount of oxygen, such as fluid buildup in their brains and organs, which often leads to brain damage and/or death.

so, in conclusion, it really doesn't do shit except for exposing your body to mechanisms that are lethal.

if you want to experience high altitude training (i.e. lack of oxygen) there are three things you can do:

- breathe through your nose only
- block your nostrils and breathe through a straw
>>
>>34852832
it would be extremely gainful
>>
>>34852932
Fo(u)r scoops
>>
File: cia eyes.png (82 KB, 646x152) Image search: [Google]
cia eyes.png
82 KB, 646x152
>>34852756
>>
About as effective as breathing through a straw. Actual high altitude training would reduce the rate oxygen is transported through the blood. This just limits your overall air intake instead.
>>
>>34852756
If you have to ask youre a retard, retard
>>
https://instagram.com/p/78c8UpSaFc/

He explains everything in detail and why it's totally useless.
>>
dumbest thing of 2015.
>>
It causes you to burn extra calories for thr same amount of work so I'm for it.
>>
>>34852756
Your whole body isn't in an elevated environment, so its quite useless unless you just want an alternative to valsava breathing.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.