[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup, mis/fit/s I've been thinking about joining some Historical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 1050x591) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 1050x591
Sup, mis/fit/s
I've been thinking about joining some Historical European Martials Arts classes.
Longsword fighting, to be precise.

Anyone have any longsword fighting experiences that don't involve penises?
>>
>>34841827

I knew a guy who used to go to those.

Some of the societies are pretty intense.

I guess 90% of sword fighting is just punching the other dude in the face.
>>
>>34841827
Why not, you fucking nerd.
>>
>>34841827

There was a thread here about longsword fighting. Look it up in the catalog or archive.
>>
>>34841915
Really? That is kinda harsh.
>>
Im an adept in the force therefore i have intermediate knowledge on lightsaber combat.

Most of my experience was attacking holograms on Dantooine.
>>
>>34841968
>never forget the 6 million holograms
>>
>>34841827
A friend of mine does it in San Jose, CA. To be honest, it looks fun as fuck.
>>
What an androgynous face, is that a guy or a girl?
>>
>>34841979
Do you have to be really fit to join?
I am a big guy, so I can hold the sword without getting too tired.
I assume the fights are like fencing in that they're fairly short affairs.
>>
>>34842001
Yes, it's a Pokemon master.
>>
File: 1442194985167.jpg (70 KB, 340x616) Image search: [Google]
1442194985167.jpg
70 KB, 340x616
>>34841827

Do Fiore and be masterrace.

>1503+512
>doing ochs
>not doing finestra
>not doing porta di ferro to chill during the fight

Keking desu.

>>34841915

No it's not. Your friend didn't do HEMA.
>>
>>34842022
OP here.
You seem to know about this.
Could you regale us with tales of sword fighting?
>>
>>34841827

Only been to 3 HEMA classes, I'm mostly kendo (2nd dan)

They're fun as fuck, won't get you fit but it's very enjoyable.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (209 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
209 KB, 1920x1080
I do pic related HMB triathlons, not HEMA, but some guys use pretty much exactly the same longsword techniques found in the manuscripts.

I never understood why you HEMA -peeps don't try to make it into a sport? Seems like a waste of time just learning shit like that and never use it in anything?
>>
>>34842180

There are HEMA competitions and tournaments all the time.
>>
>>34842211

Oh cool, I didn't know that. What kinda contact? I presume you don't use armour cos all the HEMA peeps I've talked to are always shitting on fighting in armour.
>>
>>34841827
marcin pls go
>>
File: 1442194985181.jpg (92 KB, 389x614) Image search: [Google]
1442194985181.jpg
92 KB, 389x614
>>34842237

There are some armoured fighting sometimes, using half-swording, maces and pollaxes, but most of the tournaments are unarmoured.

HEMA people don't shit on armour at all, at least not the ones I know. I mean, armour is also historical, and some of the same treatises we use also teach armoured fighting (i.e. fiore's getty).
I've trained a bit of armoured myself, but I don't have a harness. I just have a sallet+gorget (gorget is fucking uncomfortable tho, no wonder people took it off).

My favourite armoured stance is the Crose Bastarda. I usually play on the defensive, I'm better at counter-attacking then attacking.

>>34842067

Hit them with the pointy end?
>>
File: sallet pic.jpg (134 KB, 698x744) Image search: [Google]
sallet pic.jpg
134 KB, 698x744
>>34842319
>>34842180

My sallet is the one in the front. The bellows is my friend's.
>>
>>34842319

Ok, all the HEMA guys I've talked to diss our sport bc "knights didn't really have sword fights against eachother waa waa you would use a mace waa waa your armour is unhistorical bc its not the correct steel" etc... But then again they shit on the 3v3 and 5v5 even more so kek.

Nice to know not all HEMA people are scrubby like that.

Also yea, I tried a gorget + sallet once, the fucking gorget strangled me.
>>
>>34842367
Do you buy them online or do you make them yourself?
>>
>>34842180
>I never understood why you HEMA -peeps don't try to make it into a sport?
>Seems like a waste of time just learning shit like that and never use it in anything?
pls
>>
I like swords
>no homo

HEMA is pretty much wrestling with swords. I'm planning on taking some classes, but I will be sure no one finds out.
>>
I started attending a hema class a month ago, its very fun and tiring, so far I never skipped a day despite being a lazy fuck. I'm thinking about getting myself a practice one-handed sword so I can train even at home and hopefully get better faster
>>
I did Hema for a few sessions but realized it was a bit homosexual.
>>
>>34841827
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3rHywjh1bQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_European_martial_arts

http://hroarr.com/

This sounds more /k/ related, but hey, this is a contact sport.

I hope you the best of luck in your sport.
>>
>Not doing George Silver for forearm gains
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.