[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /fit/ asthmatic here, looking to improve my lung capacity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Inhaler.jpg (3 KB, 275x184) Image search: [Google]
Inhaler.jpg
3 KB, 275x184
So /fit/ asthmatic here, looking to improve my lung capacity and be able to run more than a quarter mile without practically passing out. Any tips? Also swimming is out of the picture, I don't have the money for a pool membership.
>>
>>34518915

Run holding your breath for as long as possible. Alternatively, you can run back and forth, and then stick your head in a bucket of water or kiddie pool or something, holding your breath for as long as possible. I forget the name of the study, but there is a really good program that scientifically advocates for this, based on some indigenous pearl diving communities in the South Pacific that would do these exercises as kids and hold their breaths for literally 10+ minutes.
>>
>>34518915
Bring your albuterol with you to the park and do sprints until you wheeze, take 2 puffs a minute apart and then walk a few miles.

I used to have croup a lot as a kid and asthma attacks, it got better with age, and I always pushed myself in sports until I couldn't breathe, eventually stopped having attacks around 13, haven't had one in 15 years
>>
>>34518950
Thanks, I'll have to look into and try that.
>>34518953
I've done things similar to that before, and they just end up causing pain in my lungs and ribs and making me dizzy. I think my body gets confused because it doesn't understand how much air it is actually getting. Idk though maybe I should try it again.
>>
>>34519009

Lol nucka I was just fucking with you. Please don't drown yourself.

Seriously, go running with your inhaler, and just take breaks as needed. It would be best on a track, or with a running app, so you can measure your distances and track progress. Try to go further without using it as time passes, etc.

Also, assuming your heart isn't at risk of exploding, seriously consider an EC stack. Bronkaid is literally for that shit, and I know when I would run on Bronk my lungs were robotic.
>>
>>34519064
Haha okay. Do you think it would be weird if I ran on the local high school track? Not while school is in session of course. And I'm thinking of doing the couch to 5k thing, is it any good?
>>
First list of your meds and ideally your avg fev1 if you know it.
>>
>>34519107

What the hell would be weird about that? If you live in a moderately sized town, I imagine you won't be the only person there doing this shit. People use high school tracks all the time, both during and after school hours. The rule is generally that classes/sports will boot you, if they need it. Also, mine wouldn't like us there after about 11pm.

I never did Couch to 5k, but I'm sure it's fine. The basic philosophy with running or any conditioning is to gradual increase your pace/distance, and that's exactly what that program formally does. I just know for me I would tend to push myself harder when i didn't have an upper bound or "finish line" when I'd run. It was more like, "I did 12 laps last time, I have to get at least 13 today," etc.

Just make sure you have your inhaler, and slow down as needed. You'll break through that shit in no time.
>>
>>34519154
I'm not sure what my average fev1 is. I take albuterol when needed, and fluticasone propionate when I'm having a bad patch (usually when I get sick)
>>34519164
Thanks man. I've also got a friend who say's he will run with me (he did Cross country in high school, still runs all the time), so that might help me push myself too.
>>
>>34519187
Do you take albuterol before runs? That might fix a lot of your issues. I am assuming the fluticasone is nasal delivery?
>>
>>34519229
I haven't been, I like avoiding taking medicine when at all possible, but I should probably start doing that. Also no, the fluticasone is an inhaler like my albuterol. Like pic in op, but red and orange.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.