[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do I protect soles on chelsea boots.? they're lanvins
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: 1412908823565.gif (486 KB, 475x347) Image search: [Google]
1412908823565.gif
486 KB, 475x347
how do I protect soles on chelsea boots.? they're lanvins generic black leather version. do I need extra soles or taps or should I just not bother? I don't know shit about shoes and I dont really want to be had by a cobbler
>>
>>9010429
if it's goodyear construction with a leather sole then just wear them out until you need to replace the soles
otherwise get them vibrammed
>>
Show us a pic mate.
>>
>>9011417
I don't know what angle you would want to see. Here's the exact ones and should show everything. I can take pictures if you need too though. i've been trying to find out if its a goodyear welt for eternity now.

http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/lanvin/panelled-leather-chelsea-boots/440776
>>
The soles are glued on, they're not stitched.

Get vibram for the ball of your feet and they should help them last a bit longer. You can bit some on the hell too but that's easily enough replaced.

Next time get good year welted boots, paying anything over 300 for boots and shoes with glued soles isn't a wise long term investment.
>>
>>9011483
I just got them I may be able to send them back but I already walked on a hard surface on them. I feel like an idiot. I was thinking about buying some john lobb but these looked sleeker.
>>
>>9011425
damn those are nice boots
>>
>>9011518
But I'm sure John Lobbs are gonna be sick too

(same guy)
>>
Taps would help.
>>
>>9011550
>>9011483
so I should get vibram or taps or both? I have no clue if I could send them back now so I may just keep them cuz i ordered them for an event I have to go to.
>>
>>9011500
>>9011578

mate, dont stress, they're great looking boots. I was simply saying from my perspective craftsmanship comes first above all else. Becuase when I buy/get made shoes or boots I intend on making them last.

Goto a good cobbler, he'll tell you if they need to be tapped. But definitely get the soles vibramed, it'll help them last. Polish them every fortnight and if you have some, shoe tree them. It'll maximise the life out of them.

John Lobbs are fantastic but cost 3 times as much, or you go RM WILLIAMS which are cheaper and also better constructed (welted and also one single piece of leather wrapped as opposed to 4 separate pieces)
>>
>>9011589
which rmw last is the least ugly
does the narrow medium toe look decent with regular heels? for non-mto options it's only available on mid and cuban heels
>>
>>9011589
alright, i'll try that. I wasn't really planning on wearing them so often and I learned something, so I guess it's not a total wash. Thanks for your help.
>>
>>9011594
>>which rmw last is the least ugly

hahahah yeah fair cal mate, they are a bit of an acquired taste.

Unfortunately if you don't like the look I can't think of too many other boots with the similar quality and build at price range. I remember seeing womens APC boots that were single piece and welted... but Im not sure they made mens versions.

I have the comfort tambo, not sure what the last is though.

they're mid as I'm not a fan of cuban heels.
>>
>>9011578
Depends.

I've never had to trek through any sort of anything, so I don't have a use for vibram. If you live in, say, Canada then you should opt for vibram. I personally don't find vibram to be very nice to look at.

A very skilled cobbler could also rip those soles off and then resole them with better ones, and he could sew these ones. It's a risk, though. Make friends with this very skilled cobbler.

Do you know what a shoe tree is? If so, invest in some wooden ones. Yes, they need to be wooden. Shoe trees will help the shoes retain its shape while not on your foot. Wooden shoe trees will suck the nasty foot moisture out of the shoe, so it won't ruin the insole. Shoe trees will also remove creases. Do not skimp on the shoe trees.

If you live in a wet area, then you need to treat the leather. Seriously, don't even wear them outside on a wet day until you do this. If you do, you will rob the leather of its youth and destroy its lifespan. It will get all dry and crusty and it won't be shiny anymore. If you ruin it, you'll know.

A final tip, avoid scuffing these. Wax them, too. That way, if you do scuff them, it'll only scuff the wax and not cause detrimental damage to the leather underneath. In layman's terms, you can just wax them again and the scuff will come out. Wax before the first wear. Watch the way you walk up stairs, do not smash your toe against the rise of the staircase.

These are some beautiful shoes, OP. If you treat them right, they will treat you right.

I'm a cobbler if that influences any of your decisions.
>>
>>9011606
mate, they're not a wash at all.

you got a pair of sweet looking boots which will last you a long long time as long as you look after them. Even if the glue becomes unstuck (especially if you wear them in the rain a bit) if can be reglued.

Wasn't trying to spook ya, just giving you a bit more facts so you know how you're spending you hard earned money.
>>
>>9011618
i'm juggling between turnouts in kangaroo or a pair made to order in a regular heel, narrow medium toe, brass screwed sole and french veal calf. could never deal with chisel toes or cuban heels.
>>
>>9011629
The kangaroo is the fucking best, but they dont come in black for the regular line.
>>
>>9011624
Very informative, I appreciate the help and reassurance.
>>
>>9011636
why do you like it over yearling and french veal?
there's also their hundreds of seasonal leathers
>>
>>9011637
You're very welcome.
>>
>>9011664
>>9011589

Is there any particular thing I should look for when buying the wax to help avoid scuffs or any suggested brands / makes?
>>
>>9011688
Are you willing to spend an arm and a leg?
>>
>>9011694
Probably, either way I would rather know a good wax than not know at all.
>>
>>9011706
Buy a kit. Don't mix and match care products from different brands.

I recommend these

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Mens-Leather-Shoe/dp/B000H92WE6

Shoe trees if you have none.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Edmonds-Mens-Combination-Cedar/dp/B000H92XZE/ref=cts_sh_1_fbt

Allen Edmonds is a favourite of mine.

If you're willing to tell me the general area in which you're located, I might know a vouch-worthy cobbler near you.
>>
>>9011718
Thanks friend, that's not too bad.
I'm in Dallas, Texas
>>
>>9011725
Go to the Cobblestone Shoe Hospital. There's an old man named Stephan who might still work there. If so, have him do it. If not, get it done by one of other guys.

Stay away from Kosta Dino. They're horrible.

Stay away from any major chain shoe repair place. Don't go to any cobbler who has a kiosk in a mall.

Care for these boots and they'll last you forever.
>>
>>9011740
That's not too far from me. I saved all this info, you made my night.
>>
>>9011648
the environmental factor

>>9011688
I use kiwi polish and cream polish. good enough.

use a cream polish once to every three wax polish

just avoid anything with silicone in it like the Kiwi parade gloss

Natural bees wax is good to use too.
>>
>>9011769
Glad to be of help :)

It warms my heart to see people still taking after nice shoes.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.