[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this chart /fa/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: mfm.jpg (870 KB, 1170x1830) Image search: [Google]
mfm.jpg
870 KB, 1170x1830
Is this chart /fa/
>>
Raf Simmons, rick owens usually what I'm dressed in?
>>
>>8876490
>yung lean
lmao
>>
no

>modern
most of that shit is old
>>
File: 881273.jpg (38 KB, 361x362) Image search: [Google]
881273.jpg
38 KB, 361x362
>>8876490
>death grips
>crystal castles
>bones
>yung lean
>>
ha
>>
>yung lean
lmao bitch ass nigga gtfo with this shit
>>
>death grips
>andy stott
>crystal castles
>salem
>trust
>gesaffelstein
>how to destroy angels
>shabazz blace
>clouddead
>bones
>yung lean
>actress

no
>>
>>8876490
What a horrible fucking mess of a chart.
>>
>>8876490
Shoegaze is /fa/, and nothing else.
>>
how about we come up with a better list then, if this one is so bad

or is fa only capable of undidactic criticism
>>
>>8876645

Well, first you remove Yung lean, I mean wtf

Then you go to pitchfork and take the best albums. Besides yeezy, fuck him.
>>
crystal castles (III) is so fa tho
>>
>>8876682
Lean is the shit dude
>>
While some of these albums might be a little outdated, or just kinda shitty in general, i think the author did a very good job of curating a cohesive dark, moody, edgy, industrial theme. They didn't just copy the top acts off of a genre wikipedia entry either. A lot of these albums are dark ambient, but not all of them. The author managed to find genre independent moods and themes and compiled them in a very trend conscious, savvy way. They all sound pretty close to the sonic equivalent of loose fitting, sheer, flowing black cotton juxtaposed with harsh, jolting white text or highlighting.
>>
>>8876682
so pitchfork decides what's fa? that's a bit of a cop out.
>>
Creep is easily one of Bones's worst and you clearly have garbage taste.
>>
>>8876490
poor coil and jam city getting mixed in w/ all that shit
>>
>>8876682
are you fucking stupid?
yeezy is a musical genius regardless of your opinion of him.
>>
>>8876490
suprised no one has mentioned that arca album, its the shit. so excited for his new work.
>>
>>8876751
kanye plz go
>>
>>8876762
resorts to a spoon fed parody of kanye's "egoism" in an attempt to discredit his music
bitch if u were kanye west you would be on your own dick too
>>
File: 1382472667040.png (757 KB, 1198x1200) Image search: [Google]
1382472667040.png
757 KB, 1198x1200
>>8876774
maybe if he was yngwie malmsteen, or dimitris sgouros, you could say he had objective musical genius. Mr. west does not deserve a fraction of the praise he receives, whether it be from himself or elsewhere.
>>
Eagulls
>>
Music can't be effay.
/thread
>>
>>8876815
I'm assuming you've never listened to much of Kanye then.
He independently redefined hip-hop with a single album and has been the most creatively consistent, impactful artist of the last decade.
To dismiss his work and conjure up random names of people who I'm sure have musical talent doesn't deny the fact of his genius. His success from a purely critical standpoint (ie 23 fucking grammys) should be more than sufficient to prove that he has at least some level of talent. Just because you feel the incessant need to get off on some "hipster" level of obscurity with artist's shouldn't have an impact on the objective determination of another artists work.
>>
>james ferraro and shabazz palaces
makes sense
>>
Swap Lese Majesty for Black Up.
>>
>Pharmakon
I saw her live
>>
>>8876815
dudes meta-textual as fuck too, music is just one facet of his creative dimension (though probably his best medium)
>>
>>8876490

It's pretty decent. There are a few artists I don't agree with - Jam City & Shabazz Palaces for one - but everything else is fine.
>>
>>8876873
>yngwie malmsteen
>obscure
I was trying to dumb down my example for a kanye fan, and it still wasn't enough.

You have offered no evidence as to his "genius", only shallow appeals to popularity. You know who else received 22 grammys? U2. U fucking 2.

You have no perspective. How can you possible claim that this entertainer is the musical paramount. It used to be shameful to thrive only in the studio, and now it is celebrated for a musician to spend his entire career pressing a play button.

You still have the burden of proof.
>>
>>8876890
pretty much all rap is "metatextual." why do kanye fans always praise him for this?
>>
>>8876941
You have offered no evidence to support your examples either so I would say that the burden of proof is reciprocal in this regard.

Popularity is at least minimally some evidence to the the ability to appeal to a large audience, which requires some level of sophistication and talent particularly when an artist is both a producer and a performer. But then again Katy Perry is highly popular so this really doesn't matter.

>musical paramount
This was apropos of the last decade of music and is undeniably true. What other artist has has an impact to the level Mr. West has had from hip-hop to pop? I can't think of anyone and you have yet to provide another example. 808s and Heart break redefined much of the content of music that was played on the Radio. The same minor chord sequences pioneered by that album brought about the "coldplay" era of the radio.

But that probably isn't enough for you, so I guess I will go into some depth concerning Yeezus. First of all, Kanye has an amazing ability to synthesize textual and musical elements into a meta-musical commentary unlike any other artist. Darting between commenting on socio-political issues in one line to testifying how he will cum on your bitches face in the next, his work in many ways obfuscates the very coherence of rap-culture. From auto-tuned Chief Keef to sampling a plethora of artists from popcaan to Kóbor János, Yeezus was one of the most aesthetically avante-garde albums in recent memory. His profound ability to conjoin this wide variety of artists not only shows extreme ability on a technical level but also a unfathomable predictive ability to vitiate musical expectations and recontextualize dichotomies between entire genres of music.

This work in particular is incomparable to any other; an album that is ahead of all music be it mainstream to experimental hip-hop, it rides ahead of the very edges of 'music' today.
>>
>>8876979
That's not necessarily true.
While most rap contains meta-textual elements, I guess it just depends on the degree to which it is effective.
>>
idk but coil and trust are fucking great
>>
>>8876979
"going gorillas" <-- one of the most catchy phrases in all of rap music
>>
mfw better music discussion than mu
>>
>>8877165
fuccboi wreked
>>
>>8877165
i like how the language in these posts keeps getting more and more pretentious
>>
>>8876490
the most un/fa/ thing is bandwagoning
just listen to stuff you like
>>
lese majesty needs to be replaced with Black Up
>>
>>8876877
>>8877961

yes and yes

OP you corny nigga
>>
>>8877165
I was hoping you would stick to either 808s or even graduation so that we could have a two sided debate.

Unfortunately you decided to exemplify yeezus, which is objectively the blunder of his entire career.

>Kanye has an amazing ability to synthesize textual and musical elements into a meta-musical commentary unlike any other artist.

Kanye is a rapper, and can be spoken of in terms used in the genre. You cannot honestly be so far onto his dick you believe he has transcended the medium, can you?

His flow was unimpressive, as usual. He uses cheap tricks to disguise his vocal limitations. His lyrics are uninspired, consisting of vapid machismo posturing and usual.

>Darting between commenting on socio-political issues in one line to testifying how he will cum on your bitches face in the next, his work in many ways obfuscates the very coherence of rap-culture.

Classic mistake of artistic criticism. Participating in a genre trope does not at all equate to a deconstruction or criticism of it. Kanye is just as guilty of misogyny as lil-wayne, eminem, take your pick.
See cabin in the woods as a prime example.

> Yeezus was one of the most aesthetically avante-garde albums in recent memory. His profound ability to conjoin this wide variety of artists not only shows extreme ability on a technical level but also a unfathomable predictive ability to vitiate musical expectations and recontextualize dichotomies between entire genres of music.

The fact that you think this is avante-garde or breaking new ground in the slightest speaks volumes of your experience.
The production of this album sounds like zach hill released a bunch of half complete experiments from his ableton project folder, and then somebody jammed a bunch tacky, accessible, catchy samples in to fill the air. The whole album reeks of Kanye jumping on the industrial rap bandwagon.

Yeezus represents a concession from kanye.
>>
>>8878062
>Kanye is a rapper, and can be spoken of in terms used in the genre. You cannot honestly be so far onto his dick you believe he has transcended the medium, can you?

"Vapid machismo posturing" is not intrinsic to Kanye, but regardless the way you look at art is fundamentally flawed. You are basically saying "if Kanye says something intriguing or clever its deep." That's such a terrible way to look at art because you just graze the surface. The coarseness of yeezus' lyricism is the entire point; it plays into the meta-textual stuff explained above.

Further more vocal limitations play into the positives of his work; one of the most important elements of 808's was his lack of vocal finesse, the autotuned nature of the work is what re characterized him as distinct from both pop and hiphop.

Participating in a genre trope does not at all equate to a deconstruction or criticism of it.

>Participating in a genre trope does not at all equate to a deconstruction or criticism of it.

Not inherently I agree, but you have no response to the analysis to why it is something that subverts musical categorizations in this instance. [I'll talk about this more below]

>Kanye is just as guilty of misogyny as lil-wayne

The whole point of his objectification of women is to ironize it. The ambiguousity of yeezus makes it very clear: "we don't fucking know if this nigga serious".

>The fact that you think this is avante-garde or breaking new ground in the slightest speaks volumes of your experience.

Congratulations, you're great at ad homs but your posts lack any sort of substance. Many renowned music critics considered the work at least in some ways ground-breaking. While I do agree that it is very similar to industrial rap, one must admit that while similar, they are distinct.
>>
>>8878062
Additionally you are implying that bandwaggoning is some sort of "terrible evil" that makes him a bad artists. That's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

Every artist or thinker or any creative relies on inspiration for their work, to remove all "bandwaggoning" would be to elminate art itself.
>>
>The production of this album sounds like zach hill released a bunch of half complete experiments from his ableton project folder, and then somebody jammed a bunch tacky, accessible, catchy samples in to fill the air. The whole album reeks of Kanye jumping on the industrial rap bandwagon.

This is the point. The work is meant to be rhizomatic in the sense that it lacks clear structure and its elements are varied and intermittent. The dichotomy between songs like "on sight" and "bound 2" is something that differentiates yeezus from more industrial rap records; it is meant to be an oscillation.
>>
>>8878160
Kanye isn't a good rapper and his backing tracks all blow. He comes up with some clever verses lyrically, but not particularly good technically as a rapper. I'd rather listen to better rappers with better tracks and worse lyrics because for me lyrics are always secondary to the music.
>>
:[]
>>
>>8878285

The phrase
>backing track all blow

shows that you know nothing, I think you mean production as opposed to lyricism. You got it backwards. Kanye's production is some of the best to ever touch rap music. Listen to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy then respond.

>Lyrically, can’t none of y’all murder ‘Ye
>‘Cause y’all raps ain’t got no vertebrae
>>
>>8878308
I don't think you know the difference between writing music and producing it. All of his instrumental tracks are garbage. I've never heard a good kanye track. It all sounds like shit.
>>
>>8878330
>I've never heard a good kanye track
Two options either
a) you're deaf
b) your taste in music is so awful that your opinion has zero validity

>I don't think you know the difference between writing music and producing it.

In the context of my last comment I wrongly dichotomized lyrics and production which are both integral to one another. But I'm quite aware of what it actually means.

Who is your favorite artist?
>>
>>8878358
dichotomize is such a faggy word. not that guy btw. kanye's production was nxtlvl at one point (he changed the game) 2bad he leaves a lot to be desired lyrically. my favorite artist is kendrick lamar too bad i was trash.
>>
>>8878358
At the moment, probably A Lot Like Birds mostly because of their drummer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOGglUisGHI

My favorite hip hop album is E.Eternal 1999.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.