[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fa/ careers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 14
File: 1369494227008.jpg (52 KB, 499x750) Image search: [Google]
1369494227008.jpg
52 KB, 499x750
Not specifically careers the people of /fa/ have, but the careers that /fa/ SHOULD have.

>Hard Mode: no underground crime lords
>>
>>8469622
architecture
>>
Weapon salesman
>>
>>8469622
full techish delivery boy
mountain guide
>>
>>8469622
Computer Scientist.
>>
File: tumblr_n6u5rg5dhZ1qe6ax1o1_500.jpg (53 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6u5rg5dhZ1qe6ax1o1_500.jpg
53 KB, 500x333
>>8469782
The money is /fa/, but the job itself isn't.

>>8469633
>>8469645
Yes

>>8469688
Probably
>>
start up business
>>
>>8469789
>The money is /fa/, but the job itself isn't.

Does that mean I have to change careers??
>>
>>8469622
ninja
>>
lawyers I guess are pretty fa

also working in national security of your country can be p fa too

any kind of business ceo, unless you're selling donuts or sth
>>
pimp that only employs extremely attractive girls/models as prostitutes

international yatch salesman

model scout

i dont know
>>
"effay" means literally nothing
>>
Buyer for a large retailer or outside sales in a similar position because of the travel and personal presentation needed and the amount of money handled.
>>
>>8469826
it means my dick in ur mom
>>
>>8469805
You're making good money? Keep it.

Get a cool, /fa/ job in your later years when you have some money saved up.

>>8469826
It literally means "fashionable".

>>8469829
What would one have to do to get this job? What is the actual name of it? Sounds interesting.
>>
File: 1393101065648.png (137 KB, 399x536) Image search: [Google]
1393101065648.png
137 KB, 399x536
>18, sub-urban English town
>D in maths, mostly C's
>should get a 'pass' in level 3 IT (highest at my college)
>going to do a health and social care course

I don't see how I could get a good job with what I'm doing.
I want to get into the fashion industry, or work for a fashion company managing their IT shit maybe.

Am I fucked? I don't want to die poor.
>>
>>8469845
>Get a cool /fa/ job in your later years
How about he does what he wants and is good instead of pleasing this shitty online community.
>/fa/ job
>fabulous!!
die queer
>>
>>8469845
>What is the actual name of it?
purchaser. get a business degree, then get a job in the purchasing department of a company and work your way up. it's /fa/ if you're like a purchaser for barneys or some little boutique, but not so much if it's for a place like tj maxx or walmart
>>
>>8469854
>or work for a fashion company managing their IT shit maybe.
all that shit at little places gets contracted out.
>>
File: 1404871731987.png (44 KB, 150x225) Image search: [Google]
1404871731987.png
44 KB, 150x225
>>8469860
If he actually enjoyed it/saw himself staying there why would he ask if he should switch jobs, hm?

I'm using /fa/ as a catch-all term for things people on here would find cool, meaning he would enjoy it as well and do it for himself, not too please a community.

>using queer as a derogatory on a fashion forum
>>
Engineers
>>
wine critic
>>
>>8469882
He asked "Does that mean I have to change careers?" because he was challenging you to provide a reason why being "/fa/ is this all important thing to base your life around, if you do that you're pretty much a joke of a person. Queer.
>>
>>8469884
Engineering is like one of the most autistic fields you can get into.
>tfw know three different guys in engineering who are literally autistic
>>
professional hobo
>>
>>8469622
singer in a post punk band
>>
>>8469884
no
>>
art dealer
>>
>>8469622
fashion designer
>>
>>8469903
This for sure. Or member of any Sacred Bones band. Most /fa/ "rock" label.
>>
model
>>
>>8469922
no lmao
>>
>>8469622
>hard mode

underground crime underling
>>
gambler
>>
stand up comedian
>>
> tfw when 90% of audio engineers only wears plain black shirts, jeans and sneakers
>>
>>8469925
o rly
>>
being NEET and making money odd ways.

Criminal, drug dealers can be /fa/ as well as many other outlaws

Artist. Doesnt really matter what kind

all pretty /fa/ imo
>>
>>8469895
Sadly true.
As an engineering student it's hard to find someone you can relate too who isn't a total shithead.
>>
>>8469826
using context clues, you can assume that "effay" is a slang synonym for "fashionable."
>>
>>8469960
Being NEET is never effay.
>>
>>8469895
>>8469963

What kind of engineering fields are the most /fa/ ones or the ones in which you have greater odds of meeting /fa/ people?
>>
>>8469976
Chemical and Electrical are most /fa/
>>
dentist
>>
>>8469971
legit the only truly /fa/ people I know are neet. make money from music, tiny T-shirt business, quick entrepreneur ventures. I assume you can do these things and still be neet since you not in employment
>>
>>8470004
self-employed
>>
>>8469991
horseshit
aerospace
>>
>>8469960
NEET is not /fa/, I am NEET, and I am not up to the unreasonably high standards /fa/ sets for one's lifestyle choices.

Anything illegal is /fa/ as fuck as long as it has to do with drugs or whatever but that is way too easy.

Artists are certainly /fa/, but that's more of a culture/hobby than an occupation.

>>8470004
If you're making money you are not NEET, end of story.

>>8469930
fuck
>>
>>8470004
NEET means No Employment, Experience, or Training. It basically means you're disabled somehow, mentally or physically. Hence why NEETs often collect autism bucks. Being self-employed and being NEET are two different things entirely.
>>
>>8470042
It's Not in Employment, Education or Training
>>
>>8469854
H-help...
>>
>>8469854
learn to make clothes
>>
>>8470114
ur fugged, start training to become a chef or some shit
>>
>>8470118
This. Try to be like Knoch.
>>
>>8469887
we have a wine horticulture course at our uni. should i take it additionaly to horticulture?
>>
>>8469919
Is this even a "real" job? Like, do you go to college and get a degree to be an art dealer?
>>
>>8470152

There are lots of ways about it. You could study art history, you could study conservation, you could specialize in one style/artist/period, you might come from an academic background, a sales background.
>>
Male prostitute.
>>
>>8470023
this guy knows whats up
also astronautical
>>
Chef
>>
>>8470163
>tfw both your parents are art history professors
i guess they are kinda effay
>>
>>8469622
Did any of the big /fa/ designers (Rick, Yohji, etc.) go to college for fashion?
>>
>>8470179

Rick went to Parson's for fine arts and dropped out and then went to technical school. Yohji went back to school later and attended Bunka.

Were there specific designers or brands you wanted to know about?
>>
>>8470163
>study art history

Is it worth it?
>>
>>8469921
kek
>>
>>8469622
>2014
>not engineering major

good luck affording quality garments ya plebs
>>
>>8470182
Really just wanted to know if it's worth it for someone to go to school for fashion if they want to make clothes for a living.

If you have any more info on other designers I'd be interested in hearing it.
>>
>>8470183

Enh. It's a pretty narrow degree. As with most BA things like that, you can say on a résumé that you learned writing, critical thinking, etc. but if you plan to go into something involving fine arts, then it might be worth it.
>>
Hahaha there are actually teenagers reading this thread basing their future careers around being fa
>>
>>8470192
Hahaha there are actually people in this thread that don't understand what "/fa/ career" means.

It just means what are cool jobs that let you live a lifestyle that's /fa/. Have fun being a janitor or whatever dude.
>>
>>8470188

Well, what, exactly, do you intend when you ask about going "to school for fashion". Do you want to learn tailoring, dressmaking, actual technical skills? Do you want to learn about merchandise planning, buying, inventory management? Do you want to learn about handling press, public relations, events? Just like there isn't just one job in the auto industry, the fashion industry encompasses designers, production managers, sales people, wholesalers, press agents, casting agents, show producers, textile manufacturers, and lots more.
>>
>>8470197
>implying I'm a janitor or whatever
>>
>>8470198
Uh, I hadn't though that far ahead.

I want to design clothes, and I actually think I am okay at it, but that is probably an extremely unreasonable dream job.

I litearlly know nothing about how college works since I wasn't planning on going until recently. You can like graduate while going for two different things, right?

I sort of liked the idea of being a procurement agent like the one anon was talking about earlier. Could I take classes for both design and sales or whatever?
>>
trader
>>
>>8470204
What are you, then? I'll take your opinion on what's happening in this thread way more seriously if you actually have a worthwhile job.
>>
>>8470210
I teach mixed martial arts.
>>
>>8470217
Alright to be fair that's pretty cool.
>>
>>8470205

Look at the nearby fashion/art schools near you or where you can afford to live and call their offices to talk about degrees that might suit your skills/goals. Many schools also require extensive portfolios for degrees/courses in design, so that's also something to ask about.
>>
>>8470183
Make sure you've already sucked all necessary dicks in academia and/or the gallery world and have a job lined up through other means, unless:

a) you also have a high school teaching qualification

b) you don't actually want a professional job and are just studying art history for your own personal interest (in which case you could just read books for free)
>>
>>8470219
I know.
>>
>>8470220
>Many schools also require extensive portfolios for degrees/courses in design

Well then I'm fucked lol. I'm talented but I am a drop out.
>>
bootleg movie dealer
>>
>go to college for an art related degree
>drop out and do the same on your own
nothing more /fa/ than this but its hard to pull off
>>
File: 120623_vereidigung_polizei3.jpg (115 KB, 800x483) Image search: [Google]
120623_vereidigung_polizei3.jpg
115 KB, 800x483
I'm a cop in Germany, I think it's pretty effay and damn cool.
>>
>>8470230
>tfw nobody buys bootleg movies anymore
the mid 2000's were crazy times
>>
I'm going to school to be a luthier soon so that.
I.E. I'm going to build, modify, and repair guitars.
>>
might not be too /fa/, but teaching english in a foreign country lel
>>
>>8470240
German cops are hot
>>
>>8470259
Thanks bruh, looks are actually also a factor whether you are being hired or not.
>>
Is being an Astronomer effay?

Or should I end up getting my degree in Particle Physics?
>>
>>8470217
>mma
do you have a tribal tat?
>>
>>8470314
Have tats but none of that nature.
>>
Private investigator, personal security guard, and chauffeur.
>>
>>8469826
Anon has a point: it's a total buzzword.

Sure, we say it means "fashionable" and we associate it with the word "good", "patrician", "cool", "siq", etc. but the word is tossed around so haphazardly in so many different threads about different things from drugs, to careers, to pets, etc. It's sometimes used to refer to heroin chic, coffee and cigarettes for breakfast but also to the finance broker lifestyle and anything you can name. Without a set definition, use of the "word" is entirely subjective and meaningless and ultimately, downright fucking retarded.
>>
>>8470385
Everything is entirely subjective and meaningless once introduced to a large enough crowd, what's your point?
>>
>>8470393
If that's true, then by the logic of our combined statements, anything introduced to a sufficiently large crowd is downright fucking retarded.
>>
>>8470414
Good, you're catching on.
>>
Is growing weed effay?
>>
>>8469622
What about working in finance and (hopefully) ending up in NYC/Wallstreet? I'm in school for finance now.
>>
>>8470434
Only if you exclusively wear shell suits and big chains
>>
>>8470469
Shell suits?

Suits and chains would not do well when growing I'd think... When one is out in the sun, watering plants, building green houses, moving soil, transplanting, pulling tarps, mixing nutrients. You get dirty af, so maybe the process is not effay... But the money and status could be effay
>>
>>8470480
Oh yeah, I was thinking dealer. Maybe you could try being farmer effay, that might look pretty cool. The money and status are definately effay tho.
>>
>> 8469622

Source on those pants? w2c
>>
asian
>>
>>8470502
I saved that pic a rather long time ago, like literally over a year ago. It looks like Yohji but I'm not sure.
>>
>>8470506
Hmm thanks. Having no luck finding pleated tapered pants for a decent price
>>
>>8469622
Get paid to play runescape
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 251x251
>>8470499
>Tfw farmer swag
>tfw Rick clothes are perfect for the weather, but not the work

I'd say being a supplier is sort of like being a bulk dealer.

Working in 90+ deg weather every day is def not effay tho tell ya chwat.
>>
Well, I'm a university student and I sell pingas and cocaine on the side.

Before that I worked in a machine room in a factory.
>>
>>8470240
FUKKEN DOG
>>
>that one guy who's a genius at mathematics and writes out long complex equations to determine which lottery number will be the winner
>yfw he's won the lottery seven times
>>
I'm an astronaut

Is it effay/
>>
I work as an operations manager at a Photobooth company, and a Photographer at our sister Wedding Photography company; Would you consider this job /fa/?
>>
>>8470232
what im on the fence about doing rn
>>
>>8470951

If you love what you do and it's both financially and emotionally fulfilling, then there's nothing more /fa/ for you.
>>
>>8469805
What /fa/ job could i land with an English degree?
Looking into the Conde Nast grafuate prograe but other than that I dont know.
>>
>>8470385

dude, no. as stated, effay means fashionable. is there one, single, clear-cut way to be fashionable? of course not. so, there's clearly going to be a multitude of contextually appropriate ways to use a word to define any and all of them.
>>
How effay is finesse carpentry and woodworking?
>>
chef
>>
is being a doctor effay?
>>
Above ground crime lord
>>
>>8471261
p fa
>>
>>8469819
>pimp
This. The most /fa/ job ever.
>>
ITT: My job is /fa/

Engineering? Seriously? That is the LEAST /fa/ job on the planet. Get the fuck out, you fucking autist. I have never met a SINGLE /fa/ engineer.
>>
>>8470244

Do you have a straw fedora?
>>
>>8470435
To your average person its pretty effay, but the job itself really isn't that effay, aside from some moments.
I'm working Private Equity so I know.
Are you at a top business school?
>>
>>8470564

You're cool. What's pingas?
>>
>>8469826
"is this /fa/??" is equivalent to " im insecure, tell me what to like"

being insecure is no /fa/
>>
>>8471289

I feel like the idea of an engineer is very /fa/ but I've never met one that fits the bill.
>>
>>8471289
Agree with engineers being un /fa/.
All the engineering students I know in college are loners, autists, greasy unwashed motherfuckers, or some other unpleasant type.
>>
consignment store owner/manager in nyc
>>
Is music supervisor and A&R for tv & film /fa/?
>>
File: marco-pierre-white.png (249 KB, 570x427) Image search: [Google]
marco-pierre-white.png
249 KB, 570x427
>>8469622
I agree with chef
>>
>>8470182
Rick attended Otis College in LA for two years as a painting student
>>
I'm going to say that being an academic is pretty /fa/.
>>
>>8469622
Just about anything to do with the arts. Coffee shop owners are /fa/ as well.
>>
Is working in the fashion world a pipe dream job, because it seems like it is.

I want to, so bad, and I am more than willing to dedicate the time, but is it worth it?
>>
a bohemian artist
>>
>>8470023
>>8469991
aerospace
structural
>>
>>8471311
>implying being a loner isnt /fa/
i do agree with you tho
>>
File: pynky.jpg (87 KB, 1345x693) Image search: [Google]
pynky.jpg
87 KB, 1345x693
some doctors
some engineers (especially chemical, had a chemical major tutor me and was effay as fuk)
interior designers (really most in the creative field)
chefs
photographers
some ppl in compsci are pretty effay
>>
Physics professor. As long as you dont shoe yourself into the neckbeard stereotype you look /fa/ as fuck going to parties and telling people about your work
>>
day trading, options, forex
stone mason, furniture
art collector, curator
neuroscience research
>>
photography is pretty /fa/ from what ive seen
>>
Being a diplomat must be really fucking /fa/
>>
>>8470169
true

I'd say architecture is pretty fa, it's a creative, interesting field that pays well. People will want to talk about it more than if you were in finance or engineering.
>>
i'm a property manager, is that /fa/ ?
>>
>>8471289
People say that being an engineer will allow them to pay for expensive clothes but then what' the point if the only people who will see your fits are nerds.
>>
>>8472553
that's not true you, or you must go to really lame parties

>"omg you're a physicist? that's so sexy"
said by nobody ever lel
>>
Currently on break at work at an autogarage. The pay isn't fa but looking good while dirty and greased up feels great.
>>
>>8469622

Stage actor, night. Waiter, day.
>>
is culinary effay?
>>
>>8473639
If you work at a good restaurant or something yeh
Chances are you'll work at Red Lobster tho
>>
File: 1400549708276.jpg (78 KB, 639x557) Image search: [Google]
1400549708276.jpg
78 KB, 639x557
>>8473659
> Red Lobster tho

naw
but I have no money to spend on clothes
>>
>>8471102
>English degree?
Barista
>>
>>8471102
>What /fa/ job could i land with an English degree?

You can get a lot of things with an english degree.
More than what you could get with a BBA
>>
What degree to become Tony Stark?
EE/CS?
>>
>>8473937
>What degree to become Tony Stark?
None, you are born a Tony Stark or not.
>>
>>8473944
Genius you mean? Sure
But what degree to work on similar projects with comparable versatility (energy source, BCI, exoskeletons, the list goes on)
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Being a citizen of Norway seems kind of /fa/.. They get paid loads by the state because they're filthy fucking rich. Sick-pay is 100% too, so you can just get a job and fake sickness/injury and spend all your money and time on clothes.
>>
>>8469854
>18
>not doing a-levels or in uni

enjoy being poor.
>>
fashion model
>>
>>8474002
Yeah, with that attitude, that's why you're not from Norway, nor do you live there.
>>
>>8474012
>2014
>Actually buying into the pleb education system brainwashing

Enjoy being poor.
>>
>>8470393
if we follow that path of reasoning to its logical conclusion then everything is subjective, there is no objective truths.

so lets not go there
>>
>>8471102
fucking do some research, there's actually a ton
>>
Work you enjoy doing
>>
>>8474074
that guy looks like hes goin nowhere tho
>>
>tfw can't decide if I wanna do math or architecture
fuck it's so hard, I love buildings but I'm worthless at drawing, on the other hand solving math problems feel great and applied math gets me the dough, also I'll have career options in contrast to being an architect for 50 years.
>>
>>8474086
Nrither of them are. It's unfortunate really but we need some goyim to buy into that nonsense so us 1%ers can continue to employ them to make us richer while paying them a flat rate with promises of promotion.

Yes, good goy, you do my paperwork, here's your pocket money that will just about keep you alive to continue working for me.
>>
>>8474106
I was in a similar situation and I picked math. I'm starting my master's studies next autumn. Architecture is just too unreliable and I realised I lack the passion to become the best. Math is just easy, safe and useful. It's also super interesting at uni level.
>>
>>8474106
I'm good enough at drawing, well, I have enough natural talent that getting really good wont be too hard.

I want to be an Architect, but I know nothing about how worthwhile a career it is to pursue.
>>
>>8473979
Bump
>>
>>8474155
Thanks anon
>>
>>8469854
top kek, work harder faggot
>>
>>8469805
Nah man just become a super cybercool hacker. Or go academia, then anything can be /fa/ in that respect.
>>
>>8469991
Electrical is the most profitable, and perhaps the necessary, but not really the most /fa/ because of all the autistic fucks joining. Do it anyways.
Not sure about chemical, I know it's pretty profitable as well though.
>>
>>8474702
I see you fam.
I'm trying to get into a fashion course sometime next year, best I can do in terms of education.
>>
>>8470217
Nigga that's kinda /fa/
Hypocrite
ayy lmao

Hope it's on an adult level with good people and not a bunch of kids their mothers enroll them in so they can be away from the house
>>
>>8470240
I guess you can say
that this is a cop thread B^)
>>
>>8471289
i-im an /fa/ biomedical engineer trying to be a doctor...
>>
>>8474733
Isn't it easier to be a hacker with EE?
>low level programming skills
>knowledge of signals, networks, telecommunications, perhaps even SCADA
>hardware knowledge
A CS guy will know OSes and how to do a Python fizzbuzz but wouldn't the EE be more qualified for serious cracking of complex infrastructures?
>>
>>8474930
not him but no because getting physical access to a system is a lot harder than infiltrating it remotely with software exploits. i guess it really depends on your definition of 'hack' but this conversation is retarded anyways. you dont have to school to learn things. im sure theres cs majors that know more about EE than EE majors and vice versa. a diploma is just a piece of paper that lets everyone know you arent a complete fuckwit.
>>
>move to NYC
>become struggling actor
>live in flat with your fashionable roommates
>have small coke addiction
>smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day because of stress
>go out on the weekends spending all your money on upscale restaurants and clubs
>have a french girlfriend named cecilia
>>
>>8470385
bitchkid you dont know what buzzword means
>>
>>8474076
thats called an existential crisis and its effay
>>
>>8474970
This guy gets it.
>>
>>8474970
replace actor with musician or artist and this will be me.
>>
Brazillian Bikini Designer,
how /fa/ is this?
>>
>>8475056
It's only /fa/ if you're pansexual.
>>
File: gaylactus.png (9 KB, 734x120) Image search: [Google]
gaylactus.png
9 KB, 734x120
>8469622
DERR AHAHAUHUHUUHHUHEUHHOOOOHUHEUEHUEHU WHAT CAR IS EFFAY WHAT TREE IS EFFAY WHAT DOG IS EFFAY ADASDIIDJAD DUHHH DERR HRHAHUAHUEHUEH2UH2UHU

goddamn these fucking threads are retarded as shit
>>
File: bikini1.jpg (57 KB, 326x398) Image search: [Google]
bikini1.jpg
57 KB, 326x398
>>8475064
Not really, straight male, it's really nice to see some hot girls wearing my stuff.
>pic related
>>
>>8475056
MOAR LIEK BRA71L

Hue hue hue
>>
>>8475094
>HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHE
>gibememoneyplox
>fuck germany
>fuck my country
>fuck football
>>
>>8474076
>there are no objective truths
The irony being that this statement purports to be an objective truth, whilst simultaneously denying the existence of objective truths.

And that's why relativism a shit.
>>
>>8475094
Netherl4nd2 one love :^)
>>
>>8475071
Chill out Gaylactus it's just a thread on the internet.
>>
>>8475071
These threads are really just an excuse to talk about our lives as /fa/ people, which is fine. A large part of fashion is lifestyle.

It's better than 10 fucking hair threads asking how long it takes to get a man bun and then a bunch of troll threads.
>>
>>8469854

sounds like musician/ poor person are your /fa/ options
>>
Currently studying Business Engineering, and I totally agree with the fact that most engineers are fucking sperglords (physics classes are the worst)
>>
>>8470762
kek
>>
>>8469789
>implying computer scientist is a real job.
Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.