[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fashion Design & Art
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1466897101661.jpg (257 KB, 1280x1019) Image search: [Google]
1466897101661.jpg
257 KB, 1280x1019
Hey /senpai/s, i want to talk about studying Fashion Design.

Since i've been always interested in art, and i'm moving to Florida the next year, i'm watching the possibility of taking fashion design.

I have some interesting manual skills and a decent sense of art, in addition to this i took a three year graphic design course.

So here it is, do any of you actually got into this? if yes, it is a good carreer? is there any opportunities of getting a good job? it pays well?

Let's talk about it /fa/
>>
>>11486685

I just finished the 1st year of my fashion design program ama
>>
>>11486701
Hey! that's nice, congrats.
where are you studying at?
how it is going so far?
>>
>>11486711

I'm studying at a community college in Canada, so nowhere fancy.

It's been going pretty awful - for many reasons, alot of them personal. I've done my best to prepare myself before school as I knew it was going to be difficult, but once I started I soon realized it was way, way different than what I thought it was going to be like.

But I'm sticking it through, it's a 2 year program so I got a year left, hope I make it without failing.

I can pretty much talk about anything, I'm (pretty) well versed in what's going on in the industry and fashion right now, although my experience and knowledge of the industry at street level is quite limited right now but I know people who work in it so I am aware of some of the basics I guess.
>>
>>11486724
Reading around it says that the first things you learn is patternmaking, is it too dificult?
Also,
Did you had good sketching skills before getting into it?
are you planning on making your own brand or working for others?
>>
>>11486685
I'd like to hear the same answers you're looking for. One of the best schools for fashion is in my state. Transferring is an option because idk what the fuck I'm doing at my states flagship public school.
>>
>>11486753
Yeah, i hope more people gets in the thread and talk about it, i'm pretty interested too.
>>
>>11486745

>first things you learn is patternmaking

That depends on the program / school, some schools pretty much don't teach you anything about the technicalities of how to actually make something, you gotta figure it out yourself for the most part. These schools approach it like art school, except the medium you happen to be working in is fashion and clothing. Examples are CSM, which I have a friend at in the womenswear program right now, and the Antwerp Academy (which /fa/'s very own user/void just graduated from!!).

Depends on what you are looking for. Somewhere like FIT focuses heavily on the technical aspects.

Really so many answers in fashion and the industry come down to "it depends". Ultimately on the individual and what they're looking for. There's like no one right way to go about doing something really.

Patternmaking is alot harder than people would think, after a year of doing it I still have 0 clue what I'm doing, only grasp a few of the basic principles. Tell me to draft a pattern for a shirt from scratch and I'd have no idea how to do it. Fashion design is pretty much 1 huge exercise in problem solving, and to be a good patternmaker you also have to understand sewing and how things will be sewn together to account for that on your patterns.

>>
>>11486781

Patternmaking as an idea sounded quite appealing to me, until I actually did it and it was a completely different ball park. Again, we're different people and you may find it enjoyable. I'm pretty autistic and have a tendency to need to completely logically process everything slowly and surely, and because alot of patternmaking is arbitrary trial & error, that aspect of it is difficult for me to work with. But then again it may also be because the only patternmaking I've done was through school assignments, which were just shittons of exercises and drafting patterns for dresses which I have no interest in, with strict deadlines. In the summer I plan to explore it on my own and maybe I'll find a liking for it.

>sketching

nope, and this also depends heavily on the person and the program. I drew cartoons as a kid so I wasn't absolutely awful, but by no means am I good with figure drawing, etc. Some schools like antwerp and csm, again, are like art schools, so they require a ton of drawing.

>making your own brand

the idea sounds appealing and is the reason why alot of people get into it, but the reality is that like 90% of these people are filtered out during the program then the remaining 10 are put through the industry and have a "chance" then like 1% actually make it doing their own thing. I have my own ideas which I believe is a unique combination of my tastes and experiences, so yes, I would like to express some of that, but having a brand of your own is an ridiculously huge thing to undertake, so maybe in like 10 years i may consider it lol. All I really want after school is a job doing ANYTHING fashion related. Alot of positions in the industry overlap, so if you're good enough you can weave your way through different jobs etc. and people will see your talent if you have it.

>>
>>11486753

Honestly wouldn't reccommend getting into fashion as a "might as well" kind of thing. The disparity in levels are so fucking massive in this industry that you can try really fucking hard and still not get anywhere, so if you're in it just because you don't know what else to do chances are you're going to fail miserably.

Liking looking at / buying fashion and clothes is a different universe than actually making them. I was so fucking convinced that this was my thing, I obsessively researched fashion for years before I started and still do now, but I can't count the number of times I've thought, "wow, fuck this shit". And I'm sure alot of students at top schools feel the same way alot of the time. It's tough as nails.
>>
>>11486685

>is it a good carreer?

again, it depends, impossible to answer such open ended questions like this. but i can say almost positively that it's probably NOTHING like you think it is.

>job opportunities

again, it depends, but there does exist a huge supply of fashion students graduating every year, with not even close to enough jobs for all of them. It's competitive, you gotta be talented.

>pays well

awful industry to get into for $$. nobody gets into fashion design to make money.
>>
>>11486798
You seem to know a lot about this, honestly i ask mostly about sketching and patternmaking because i think these areas could be my favorite ones easily because my grandfather has a tailor shop and i find that very interisting.

My mom had some sewing years too, she's mostly into industrial things like car covers and some other non-fashion related shit.

lately i've been watching Youtube videos about handmade coats and some other things, pretty enjoyable too.

also i think sketching will be my predilected area too, i sketch shits i see around or photos i personally take of things i find eye-catching, some people in the graphic design area said i've got a decent sketching too
>>
>>11486867
Interesting*, sorry my bad.
>>11486836
>awful industry to get into for $$. nobody gets into fashion design to make money.
i asked about it because i think i will be working a part time job so i can pay my shits, i dont want to be broken at the end of all
>>
>>11486867

sorry i'm not really getting what you're saying, so you want to get into it to do fashion illustration and hopefully have that be your main thing in your career?

illustration is actually quite useless in the real world, it looks nice on portfolios etc. but nobody really hires you and says here go do x amt of sketches. they're done for the purposes of getting your ideas across via a visual medium but fashion design is probably like 5% illustration. Again depends on the person and their creative process and how illustration may relate to it, if you see someone like aitor throup their entire creative process starts from his illustrations and problem solving to realize the cartoon like proportions of his drawings into 3d form. but that's highly experimental and the industry doesn't need innovation. people need clothes, not fashion, and especially not crazy fashion. ya feel me

those are some good connections you have, if you go to school and find that tailoring is to your liking you can pursue that with help from your grandfather.

you haven't really talked about designers or the industry in a creative manner, so i'm unsure what kind of person you are. you may just be an arts and crafts / home sewer type or want to pursue a career in high fashion, amidst big designer labels and stuff.

i wouldn't say it's a requirement to know about what's going on, as people like craig green, jw anderson went into fashion school without knowing any designers, just that they wanted to make clothes, and made it big. but those people are exceptions and unique individuals. the more you know, the better.
>>
>>11486685
Is positive camber effay?
>>
>>11486816
Thanks. This is good advice.
>>
>>11486884
To be honest with you i'm not too versed about designers

sure, i have my favorite designers like Jun Takahashi and Hedi Slimane because i like the way they do its things, im not always looking for new pieces and overhyping about new seasons.

so yes, you're right i'm not really into designers, Although i find fashion very interesting, i mostly look among garments rather than the person who made it
>>
>>11486929

Cool, there's nothing wrong about that and like i said there are people like this who do well for themselves. I think though it comes down to your natural talent / eye for things (which can be developed), but yeah i'm a firm believer that some people are just not meant to be and can never really "get it", know what I mean? So whether you're a person with that "thing", that capability to "get it" or not, I have no idea. It's up to you to explore and find out for yourself.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask but overall I'd say if you're considering it, don't take it likely, prepare well and do your homework and enroll, see if it's for you or not. you don't really have anything to lose, it'll just be another experience.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.