[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fa/ looking to buy a sewing machine and came upon pic related;
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
Hey /fa/

looking to buy a sewing machine and came upon pic related; it's called "3 in 1 Magic Sewer"

Does anyone have experiences with sewing machines similar to this?
Should I buy it if I can get it fairly cheaply?
>>
dont buy cheap, low quality sewing machines.

apparently brother makes good sewing machines, though
>>
>>11293088
Please don't. You want quality, robust design to make sure it works as long as possible and enables you to acquire all the skills you need to do basic tailoring, without switching between different machines as the time goes by.

I've got vintage 50's sewing machine, one of the first electric ones sold in my country. It's full metal, weights around 24lbs. Apart from being noisy af, it still works like a charm and it's basically impossible to break it.
>>
>>11293092
>>11293131
Thing is I can get this one REALLY cheaply
>>
>>11293139
Well I guess it's ok as long as it's under twenty dollars. Otherwise, don't cop.
>>
>>11293139
It will break. And quickly. If you're okay with that and just want it to get the hang of how to sew, then go for it I guess.

Janome makes good inexpensive machines, and you can often find lightly used/deadstock ones for even cheaper.
>>
>>11293152
>as long as it's under twenty dollars
It is.
Private sale though, what should I check regarding the sewing machine before I buy it? Don't wanna end up getting cheated and buying a non-working sewing machine
>>
Get a Singer, at least.
>>
>>11293186
Insist on trying it out. Make sure you have been given some some reserve needles too, you'll break lots at the beginning. After like a 10 inch seam, check if the machine struggled somewhere. If not, go for it, take the risk. Most common technical problems you'll have with it should be fixable after reading the manual or finding the machine's scheme online. Good luck.
>>
>>11293139
It's not worth it. I've messed around with cheap machines and they're largely unusable. They can't hold thread tension worth a damn, among other things.

If you want an inexpensive machine, get an entry-level Brother. Personally I got a very lightly used Husqvarna Viking (person bought it and returned it for a higher-end model a week later) for a really good deal, and it's been excellent.
>>
File: 71f5mQagWNL._SL1500_[1].jpg (134 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
71f5mQagWNL._SL1500_[1].jpg
134 KB, 1500x1500
Well, the general consensus seems to be not to cop, despite very cheap price

Does anyone have experience with the DEMA Belinda then? pic related
(Fellow Germanfags required)
http://www.amazon.de/DEMA-N%C3%A4hmaschine-Belinda-Progr-Freiarm/dp/B004S11TSE/

Decent reviews despite still fairly cheap price
>>
whats a decent entry lvl sewing machine?

whats the audio tecnica of sewing machines
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a09Ex3a4sEM
>>
>>11293352
Brother pretty much makes the only decent entry-level (Sub-$200) machines.

They also make some of the best high-end ones. Other good brands in the mid-high range are Husqvarna Viking, BabyLock, Elna, Pfaff, Bernina and JUKI. Vintage Singer machines can be good, the modern ones are piles of steaming garbage, and ever since they bought Janome that brand's been going downhill too.

Sewing machines are one of the most ridiculously difficult things to research and buy, I don't get why it's so bad. Finding legitimate reviews is hard as fuck, dealers all have archaic websites and don't put pricing online, etc. It's the only industry I've ever run into that still runs like it's 1980.

Pic is my machine, Husqvarna 100Q. Really nice little machine and not obscenely expensive. (I think they sell for about $4-500 most places, I got mine open-box for like $250 IIRC.)
>>
>>11293499
i did alterations for a while at uniqlo and now i want to advance some more but i need a machine. qlo only used Juki, how good are those?

just curious, thanks for answering btw
>>
>>11293517
industrial juki's are my favorite to work on, are the ones i see most in dtla factories
i would look at your local craigslist for one, they can range from $200 to $1000 so it's up to you
the only thing i'm hesitant about when purchasing an industrial machine is repairs, but i could easily take it to a shop down here
>>
>>11293517
I've always heard good things about Juki and I see them in tons of factories and alteration shops.

You might ask /diy/ for machine advice, too. I'd say /cgl/ since that has the most people who sew, but they're likely to just defend whatever machine they own even if it's shit.

My ex had one of those crazy $6000 Brother machines with like a fucking iPad built into it and a huge auto embroidery setup, I miss that thing.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.