[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do people with trendy uncool tastes in everything else still
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 1454870975943.png (259 KB, 500x544) Image search: [Google]
1454870975943.png
259 KB, 500x544
how do people with trendy uncool tastes in everything else still often manage to come onto an inspired, personal style in fashion? how do they pull it off so well when all the art or any creative work they do is so shallow and off mark? I don't get it

Usually if someone is cool in one sense, they're cool in a lot of senses, but fashion is the one exception. somehow losers manage to walk around looking cool until you talk to them and learn they're still losers
>>
drugs
>>
Maybe your a loser and you like loser styles so you are attracted to your own kind
>>
Examples?

Everyone I've ever met with style I would consider good have turned out to be incrediblely interesting people
>>
>>11165751
Maybe the people that are so stylish spend most of their time seeking for fashion and don't really try to build a good taste in other artforms?
>>
fashion is, fundamentally, a superficial endeavor. literally all on the surface. Its possible to completely copy a fit, or even style just by following a buying guide.
>>
>>11167174
>Niggers
>swaggapinos
>foreign Chinese
>suburban whites
>inner city whites
>pretty boy Mexicans

Just a few of the top of the dome senpai
>>
>>11167193
>fashion is, fundamentally, a superficial endeavor. literally all on the surface. Its possible to completely copy a fit, or even style just by following a buying guide.
this exactly just dont be a fag bro
>>
>>11167199
Op here. I was thinking more art and band kiddies

>>11167146
it might just be LA
>>
>>11167199
I don't get it, you consider theses people to have style or..
>>
>>11167193
all of this
>>
>>11167208
I found the post a bit confusing. Are you talking about people that look "fashionable" but have 0 taste or creativity in anything else or the other way around?

>>11167209
Style but nothing else.
>>
>>11167199
You think those groups of people have style? I'm confused
>>
File: golub_franco.jpg (328 KB, 600x736) Image search: [Google]
golub_franco.jpg
328 KB, 600x736
>>11167219
The former. Like bands that dress very cool but when they start playing, it's just a lame imitation of a stale trend. It'd make since if they were at least imitating a fresh, next level fad, like their clothes do, but nope

Like, often they can't even manage to make their facebook likes aesthetic. They'll have a hip as fuck tumblr or instagram, but share embarrassing entry-level pop and have 1984 and murakami liked on facebook
>>
>>11167237
Yea that's what I figured you meant. I don't talk to band kids or art kids but I can see how they would be the same.
>>
>>11167237
But fashion sense has nothing to do with musical talent? Aesthetics is quite literally skin-deep, you remind me of those psychology studies where they show that people automatically rate beautiful people as more intelligent and trust-worthy.
>>
>>11167277
I'm not talking about musical talent. I mean their trend-following talent. their talent at being cool.

why they are able to be the first wave on the new shit in clothes but are so far behind on everything else, even when they try? Beauty might not be correlated with intelligence but good style and social ability probably is.
>>
>>11167174

you're very lucky then my familia

maybe I have lower standards of what I consider to be good, but I've found that many stylish people are either trend followers who happen to copy those ahead of the curve, or people who have no personality that goes beyond instragram
>>
>>11167301
>>11167237

I've noticed the same thing quite a bit

it's because music and art kids tend to hang out with eachother, so whenever something fashionable is started, its easy for them to notice quick

also, fashion is inherently easy to get into, especially the recent "cool" trends of dad clothes, oversized fits, etc.
One can easily see a musician in the scene wearing some weird new piece, and then have it shipped to their door in a few days

actually creating new and fresh art is difficult and requires time/effort/sacrifice, and the risk that one's ideas aren't good enough. these are all attributes that dream pop band #500 arent willing to work on

tldr: fashion is easy if you just keep your eyes open; original creation is hard because you need your mind and heart open as well
>>
>>11167358
I'm glad it's not just me being cynical.

but i don't really think fashion is as easy as following new fads. you have to be inspired and creative to pull off odd fits and simple imitation won't help you tie it to your unique body and facial structure.

wearing clothes is an artistic act in itself. especially when these kids are often get semi-professional photo shoots done inbetween band practice, memorializing the fits.
>>
>>11167374

im someone who spends a lot of time in the music circles in montreal, and I feel like you're giving way too much credit to people

most people are just doing what their friends think are cool, or trying to dress like the touring band that recently played

just as an example, nail polish is starting to catch on with guys here. Local musicians are doing it, the Supreme skaters did if before us, and Bonnie Prince Billy had some sick nail polish before anyone else.

It all just trickles down from an original weirdo visionary e.g. Bonnie Prince, to those who spend their time doing fashion stuff e.g. Supreme models/skaters; and then to those who are just interested in being fucking cool e.g. local musicians

>semi-professional photo shoots

could be for publicity photos also... having a strong aesthetic is an easy way to score listeners
>>
>>11167395
i think its just for social capital. by semi-professional i mean they're just having their friends take photos of them with nice cameras. half the people in LA are aspiring models and the other half are aspiring fashion photographers

>I feel like you're giving way too much credit to people
maybe you're right. I don't really talk to those kids but they try to ingratiate themselves with my friends sometimes and I'm always surprised at how wrong my first impression of their coolness is.

I guess they're just happy to wear the costume of the scene as an excuse to get laid
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.