[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup everyone. I'm trying to come up with an /fa/-related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: ruby_and_rails.jpg (69 KB, 1000x709) Image search: [Google]
ruby_and_rails.jpg
69 KB, 1000x709
sup everyone. I'm trying to come up with an /fa/-related web app project. anyone ever think, "man, I wish someone would make a website for ______."

for example Grailed would be a perfect project idea, except for the fact that it already exists. does a "my wardrobe" type of site exist? would people be interested in cataloging and sharing their pieces? I was also thinking about a review site where people could write about higher end stuff they own... idk.

any other ideas?
>>
>>11141976

OP here again...

>does a "my wardrobe" type of site exist? would people be interested in cataloging and sharing their pieces?

I was just thinking... maybe a version of this for just shoes would be cool? maybe sneakerheads would like keeping an inventory of all their shit and sharing with others?
>>
>>11141976
>>11141989
Would this be limited to a web-app or would you have a website aswell? I'm a decent programmer and ive been considering coming up with something of the sort and code by using rails. If you're interested in working on a project i'm open, reply back with an email.
>>
>>11142004
>Would this be limited to a web-app or would you have a website aswell?

this question makes it seem like you aren't a decent programmer :)

yes the web app would be on a website. I don't mean an iOS or android app. by "app" I just meant not a static website... something interactive and having at least some kind of basic CRUD system.

I'm new to Rails but damn it makes stuff easy. there's also tutorials for almost any kind of site (Twitter clones, Pinterest clones, Etsy clones, etc.), so it's easy to just replicate as well.

anyway I did One Month Rails and I'm working on Hartl's tutorial now. probably will get started after that, but that could be a little while. feel free to email me though.
>>
bump. any ideas?
>>
>>11141976
I think a "My Wadrobe" sort of app would be just fine and might pique the interest of a scene (e.g. /fa/) desperate for ways to show off outfit ideas for review.

The problem is that you're pissing into an ocean of piss: there are a lot of apps, most are crap on both ecosystems, and it's very hard to stand out in any way. Doing it online and implementing on mobile is a smart strategy (it avoids being locked into one form of use), but that doesn't make it any less difficult to distinguish yourself. You should not expect that this thing is going to blow up - assume the worst, be happy for the best.

All that said, take the chance. Back in the day I did a lot of programming projects that spectacularly failed and others that didn't - those latter ones are still making me a little bit of money. If anything, it'll be a damn fine learning experience for you. /fa/ may shit on you during the process, but we'll come around, so keep people updated with threads.
>>
>>11142245

cool, thanks for the feedback. not really trying to hit it big or anything. just want to learn and might as well work on something I am interested in.
>>
Hey OP, I think that this would be a cool idea. Maybe grailed with a wardrobe kinda thing but instead of being a buy/sell website it could be just a website where people socialize about the pieces of clothing they own. Maybe you could send reccomendations to people on what pieces they should wear or potential outfitd thats maybe they havent thought about.
>>
>>11141989
this is a really good idea.
>>
>>11141976
What i would like would be a clothing aggregator for different boutiques and in that same app to be able to put outfits together. Might be hard but its something ive thought about. Maybe you could start off by just putting them on a grid like those threads that have a top,bottom,accesories, etc. but what i would love is to put them like on a manikin/human cut out
>>
Really like this idea, but as >>11142245 said - it's competing against A LOT of similar / worse / better / half baked ideas. There are a lot of apps out there and your success will be how you stand out (what do you do different / better? - Why should users flock to your site).
Maybe it's best that you do go the sneakerhead niche (more engaged audience with more in common / compatible with each other). Also look at functionality that will allow quality collaboration for longer (what will keep more users engaged in this app for longer than 3 months?).

I do big business social media marketing. I'll flick you through an email later.
>>
>>11141976
Maybe some kind of database.
Like if you're looking for a half zip hoodie or something and you can get a list of brands and websites who carries it.
>>
Categorize all current season releases by all designers. The idea is a one stop shop for people who have exactly what they want in mind
>>
>>11143046
>>11143066
>>11143077

thanks for the ideas guys, but the thing about these is that they would take a ton of monotonous work on my part. I think the best approach would be to create a good concept and have people interact and create the content, rather than providing the content myself. after all this would just be a side project.

so far I'm leaning towards the sneaker idea just because I can imagine pretty precisely how it might work and look.
>>
sorry OP but https://www.snupps.com/
>>
>>11143196
snupps is sort of shit since it mostly caters to females, but it does have the community aspect with feeds etc.
>>
>>11143196

that's coo. that app is fairly broad in scope. eBay exists and so does Grailed. both are used for reselling high end mens clothing.

again I'm not really looking for a one in a million idea that might blow up... just figure I should make the coolest thing I can with the most potential. thanks for pointing out that app though. it definitely makes me want to go for a smaller niche.
>>
You can have something similar to instagram where people have a lookbook of their #ootds to see inspo or waywt

Then people tag the pieces in the catalog and match them with "my wardrobe"

Add a feed, grow a community, include "likes", reviews and shit

Make a business account option for fashion stores that want to promote their catalog and then advertise the same way instagram advertises, but on the "explore" section (like ig) add more fashion catalogs and mix it in with the normal posts
>>
>>11143266

yeah, dressed.so has some aspects of this (focuses on waywt). I was actually wondering why it didn't get more popular. seems like a nice place to upload waywt pics and includes a photo tagging system for brands. maybe it was just a lack of other features and the social aspect that was the problem?
>>
look at discogs.com

its that idea but for all music formats.
has a market place that charts sales on the site to get a good idea of value. most of it is user content entry.

they recently started an offshoot called gearogs for, well, gear. turntables speakers amps etc
>>
>>11143077
Make the users able to write in designer and season (raf simons fw15) and have a catalogue based on that, would be sick
And include fits so you can search for a designer or season and see how people wear it
>>
>>11143185
If this does get made, what about the shilling? I mean if it gets big won't shit tier "fashionable" brands want to market their stuff the same way it's done on instagram except at a level where those that are on the app are more likely to become a consumer (if you do associate links with items being worn etc.). What's to stop me from posting the whole H&M look book you know? Other than people giving it negative feedback or if a reddit sort of system is in place (which is also shitty because hivemind won't exactly flourish cool new fashion stuff).
>>
>>11141989
>>11141976

"my wardrobe" already sort of exists but for celebrities in what they're spotted wearing and it categorizes it

http://www.looklive.com/

inspire your idea with this, but make it user friendly, where people can take either stock online pics or use their own pics to catalog what's in their wardrobe in a virtual closet. Then on their profile they can post wardrobes for the day then people can comment or vote on whether it's good or not. Best rated fits of the day get featured etc.
>>
>>11143276
Just went on the website

It looks outdated and people would be better off on instagram

I'm sure there are plenty of apps similar to this though
>>
>>11143077
How would you decide what designers to include?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.