[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do u guys think fashion is about being tall? Is that a way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 275x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 275x420
Why do u guys think fashion is about being tall? Is that a way for beta males who are 6ft+ to feel better about themselves? One of the greatest designers of all time, Yohji Yamamoto, can't be any taller than 5'10
>>
he looks 5'2
>>
>>11075635
>fashion is about being tall
Yes.
>>
>>11075640
He probably is, and still better dressed than anyone on here
>>
yohji's models are 6 feet, whats your point?
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 1536x305) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 1536x305
>>
>>11075649
My point is that the runway =/= street/everyday fashion, so there's no point criticising people on here because of their height, criticise because of shit fits
>>
I think clothes are designed for 5'11--6'1 so I'd say thats the perfect height. not tall but not short either
>>
>>11075660
was there internet around that time
>>
>>11075663
This.
>>
>>11075663
then why do people who are 6+ look goofy with skinnies, jackets, etc
>>
>>11075662
nobody takes criticism based on height even remotely seriously lol, at least i don't

if all people can say about what i post is calling me a manlet then it's a good fit :^)
>>
>>11075667
NYTimes is pretty much completely digitized
>>
>>11075674
It's your personal vision only.
>>
>>11075692
um no, its the majority of people
>>
>>11075646
He looks ridiculous in long coats.
>>
>>11075694
Bruh it's just u
>>
>>11075706
nigger have you seen a 6 foot person wearing skinnies or a bomber jacket? even shoes look like clown shoes on huge guys
>>
models are mainly tall and slender because they are only there to make the clothes look good. slim = less fabric; tall = longer strides/arm swings to make the clothes move more attractively. i'd say it's less about being short=/=fashionable it's more of a torso/leg proportions deal. you can be 5'5" with great proportions and look fantastic
>>
>>11076571
no point in tell such things to high school children seeking validation on the internet with dick measuring contests like height
>>
being aware of your body type is an extremely important cornerstone of personal fashion, sure comments like lawl manlet arent helpful, but something like that doesnt really suit your proportions is, height is just another thing one must be aware of and being 6ft makes proportions undeniably easier.
>>
>>11076604
any way to find out more about your own proportions?
>>
>>11075727
Why do I want to wear skinnies? it's 2016 fag.
Liam Neeson is 6'4'' and he looks great in tight suit.
>>
>>11075663
The average fit models for men range from 5'9 to 5'11, for a "true medium"
but it ranges from manufacturer, which is why a brand like SLP looks better on a skinny, 6'2 man
>>
>>11076718
you cant wear a suit everywhere tho, show me someone whos 6'4 with a good street fit
>>
>>11075727
Dude said 6'1 max. 6'1 guys don't look that goofy in skinnies, no one knows what you're talking about.
Also, if you think 6'1 is huge we already know where you stand on this, tiny creature.
>>
File: image.jpg (147 KB, 625x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147 KB, 625x1000
>>11076841
im happily 5'10, looking great in clothes

assuming you shop in the 'big and tall' section
>>
>>11076858
yikes, real life manlet fury
if you're so happy and secure why do you need to start threads about this big non issue
>>
>>11076718
anyone looks good in a custom suit because its a fucking custom suit
>>
>>11075635
>one of the greatest
You mean the greatest. I don't even buy from his labels.
>>
>>11076953
Too true, even Rei doesn't compare. Yohji is the real master of avant-garde while Comme's only schtick is gimmicky contrarianism and a shallow accessible menswear line.
>>
File: 1441485481539.gif (1 MB, 268x274) Image search: [Google]
1441485481539.gif
1 MB, 268x274
>>11077973
>Comme's only schtick is gimmicky contrarianism and a shallow accessible menswear line.
>>
>>11077974
I see you're mad ^-^

I was just pushing buttons Rei's still a genius
>>
>>11077981
not mad at all, just confused as to why someone would say that
i wanted an explanation for that statement
>>
>>11075640
its the long coat anon. i'd say he's 5'7" tops

>>11075663
wow great job pulling shit outta your ass. yohji's largest market is in japan which has an average height of 5'7.5". yohji looks best on heights around 5'8" with a little bit of fat

>>11076953
>yohji being GOAT
>not yves
stay pleb anon

>>11077973
no shit cdg and yohji have different design philosophies
>>
>>11077985
Well, I've always seen Comme as surface level avant garde, using over the top gestures and aesthetics as their front for 'standing out from the pack'. Ultimately this is what makes them fun and enjoying, but it's hardly deep. Ie, putting holes in things, using extreme patterns and colours, attaching random shit like shapes and lumps to the clothing, cutting a jacket overtly sideways/upside down or whatever have you. It's fun and crazy, which is why people love it, but I don't think it goes much beyond simply being weird.

Rei for the past few years has resorted to putting essentially unwearable monstrous costumes on the runway and turned her shows into an art display rather than a fashion show. Don't get me wrong it looks amazing but it isn't really doing much other than flipping the rest of the industry off, and it's starting to get old.

As for the menswear, I mean, the silhouettes and shapes she uses are all pretty conventional and most of it is really slim, breaking away from what her and Yohji were doing in the 80s/90s. Yohji pushes the silhouette of a man and what a man should wear, whereas Comme I feel makes accessible tailoring and then sticks random weird shit on it, like the above examples. The clearest example I can use is how Yohji and Comme handles skirts on men. Comme throws a women's skirt on a dude and calls it a day, whereas Yohji emphasises all the masculine qualities a skirt could posses and pushes a focus on a weighty and powerful silhouette that a man could feel comfortable in.
>>
>>11078025
>turned her shows into an art display rather than a fashion show
well i mean, isn't that the entire plane of avant garde clothing? it's much more of an art installation than a utilitarian product

your last section is solid, thank you for that

i feel as though yohji pushes the boundaries in accessible clothing, similar to what you've just stated, and it's avant garde utilitarian clothing--granted that's an oxymoron.

i guess i just might not be able to let the phrase avant garde be let out of a box of art and allow it to make sense for consumers
>>
>>11078025
you just played yourself man. good job

rei is a clothing first then body second type of designer. you can see this manifest itself in her most famous collection, the humps one. the weird shit she does has a deeper message to it most of the time. restrictive/focused is the word i would use

yohji on the other hand is a body first then clothibg designer. this is why he has those flowing garments which look best on movement. id describe him as liberating

obviously this is not always the case but mostly it is. neither is the proper way to design. both can produce extremely beautiful results worth of aesthetic significance. stop holding down designers you faggot ass contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian
>>
>>11078064
>well i mean, isn't that the entire plane of avant garde clothing? it's much more of an art installation than a utilitarian product
Not the guy you are responding to but I don't think it's that black and white at all. It can be either or something in between, avant garde doesn't mean batshit crazy and weird. Not that CDG is.
>>
>>11078076
i'm not great at explaining my thoughts well
i used "art installation" to hopefully be vague about the designs and the vast spectrum they lay in, but i guess that didn't translate well
avant garde by definition is new, ground breaking, or different from the norm
that's not to say yohji designs anything that would fall in the norm, but i personally think avant garde designs are something i would want to walk by in a gallery--to stare at and admire-- rather than see hanging on a rack

this probably did not help me explain my point either
>>
>>11078090
>avant garde by definition is new, ground breaking, or different from the norm
>that's not to say yohji designs anything that would fall in the norm, but i personally think avant garde designs are something i would want to walk by in a gallery--to stare at and admire-- rather than see hanging on a rack
To me, especially in terms of fashion, I think it's just challenging the status quo. Basically designers that are doing their own thing without really following other designers are doing or where fashion is going in my opinion fit that criteria and Yohji is definitely there.
And that notion doesn't exclude something made form utilitarian perspective at all. Not to mention it's still clothing, it all stems from the function and is very utilitarian in the most basic level. While I understand and can appreciate clothing made purely for art, in a way I feel like it's hardly clothing any more. You can put a boot on a models head but unless you have something interesting to say with it, I don't get anything out of it really.
And to me the craft itself and making clothes can be a form of art. Extremely carefully and well crafted piece of clothing, even a simple and very mundane piece is something I can and stare and admire, in your words, purely because of the skill that was put to it.
>>
>>11076611
look into a mirror mate
>>
>>11078100
that's a fair point
the part that is key for me is being able to differentiate from an artistic characteristic--a designer's personal touch-- and something that challenges conventional thought altogether
because a designer like hedi, whom i admire for his ability to essentially create the fashion industry's Apple with the permanent collection, has a core aspect that is unique to him (though people love to say is "unoriginal"), but he is not avant garde
i guess that's kind of nit-picking your statement, but what i'm trying to get across is that there is a line between details that identify a designer, and details that are avant garde

>And to me the craft itself and making clothes can be a form of art. Extremely carefully and well crafted piece of clothing
it definitely is a form of art, and the very reason why i am in this field
but that isn't a reason why something would be considered avant garde, though it definitely has to be found in avant garde clothing

the construction of kirkland t shirts, and what is required in order for that level of consistency, and especially quality (in the budget market) is phenomenal
but that very tee is the furthest thing from avant garde
>>
>>11076880
i didnt start the thread fucboi i just agree what past anons were saying
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.