[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how to lose my foreign accent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 1449894305258.jpg (24 KB, 283x424) Image search: [Google]
1449894305258.jpg
24 KB, 283x424
It's been more than one year and half that I'm abroad and I still speak like I'm fresh out of the boat.
>>
where u from?
>>
>>11061274
Non english speaking european country.
>>
>>11061388
Unless it's Russian or something, your accent is probably hot. Ladies love European men.
>>
>>11061398
u do things for urself not ladies.

also... ask >>>/int/ OP
>>
>>11061398
I think I'll never achieve native-tier smoothness but I'm in a close to being understandable when I speak fast or use sounds / words with an orthography close to my native language.

>>11061408
Isn't >>>/int/
>>
>>11061408
Isn't >>>/int/ filled with shitposts rather than valuable advice?
>>
>>11061267
There's like a gazzillion of different youtube videos, courses and websites dedicated to that specific problem, ascent couch is a legit profession now
>>
>>11061267
You gotta listen more
I feel like i almost completely got rid of mine which is polish
>>
File: 1425355656190.jpg (206 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1425355656190.jpg
206 KB, 480x720
hangout more often with guys like these.
>>
>>11061267
you probably reached your english maximum because people are understanding what you are saying, therefore you don't have to say it in a perfect english tone. just act as though no one will understand what you are saying if your accent isn't perfectly english, you'll find improvement
>>
>>11061704
I'll try it for a month or two.
>>
>>11061267
I want to lose my accent as well, I find it quite uneffay. Honestly I'm not that bad, but since I frequently speak both my native language and english I confuse myself sometimes and end up thinking in my native language causing me to not pronounce some words the right way.
>>
>>11061267
Why would you want this? Do people not understand you, are you not fluent? Having an accent is way more effay than not having one.
>>
>>11062041
People understand me using context but I fuck up some words so bad I'm ashamed of repeating without rephrasing.
>squirrel
>purple
>muffler
and so on
>>
>>11062060
Personally I find that really adorable
>>
>>11062060
Being French, I never knew how to pronounce squirrel without sounding like a retard.
>>
>>11062105
Iktf, and i'm better than probably 70% of the population reading/writing-wise.
>>
In contrast, I've been learning French for a long time. In college now and have been taking AP courses since middle school. How the fuck do I not sound like an American when speaking your language? It was so embarrassing when I was trying to talk up a qt in Belgium and she just giggled and said I sounded so American.
>>
>>11062156
For the same reason french people really rarely have a good english accent (and by that I mean an american accent), you'll most likely never achieve a good french accent. The way some things are pronounced in our respective language are making it very hard to re-adapt and make your tongue actually say what you have in mind (because of course in your mind you have it). Don't worry though, it's still endearing to have an accent, as long as you can be understood.
>>
>>11061267
The fact that you are aware of the problem will likely fix it over time - just not quickly. Don't be impatient about it - and keep in mind that most girls find accents attractive.

I personally beat my Southern accent out of myself through sheer effort, but it took years, and I speak the damn language.
>>
>>11062183
True, it's just a bit disheartening seeing some of my classmates have a more natural way of speaking the language. I don't want to sound forced but would watching more television in French and just listening to French people talk help?
>>
>>11062203
In english, when you say the D sound, you put your tongue on the roof of your mouth behind your teeth. When you Z sound you kind of hover your tongue and vibrate ever so slightly. When you make the J sound, do a combination of tongue placement and vibrations of the D and Z sound.

To sum it up, the shit is complicated and involves super precise tounge placement and volcalizations. Really work on your mouth and tongue placement, and it will help, but you'll always have an accent.
>>
Is it effay to keep a light French accent when speaking English?
>>
>>11062063
Sometimes, I want to be credible, not adorable.

>How can I act as a tough guy marking its territory when I can't talk for shit?

I don't like having to do this whole alpha men game but Pajeet wont understand if I don't show canine authority.
>>
>>11061267
Time and practice, avoiding using your native tongue

As an American though, Americans are huuuge suckers for European accents
>>
>>11061267
Are you french? It took me three years to loose it entirely. I was in my early teens though. It is much, much harder to change when you get older.
>>
>>11061267
some people speak lazily. they are comfortable with the syllabic pronunciations of their native tongues and are happy enough to approximate the sounds of the language they are trying to learn.

if you want to stop being lazy, you need to take a couple steps. what i would do is get a recording of a native speaker saying some stock phrase. long enough that it represents all (or at least the majority) of the sounds of the language. record yourself saying the same sentence and contrast. not just contrast, but REALLY contrast. pay attention to each individual sound that comes out of your mouth.

the most common example i can think of is japanese trying to speak english. they make no (or very little) distinction between 'L' sounds and 'R' sounds, so the rittle rerrow men start speaku likku dissu. (u is also pronounced almost as a breath, but that's unrelated).

what a motivated yellow man would do is find all the sounds which are in english but not in japanese and practice them. maybe an hour a day. do that for ALL sounds not found in your native language and keep practicing and you will lose your accent, no matter how old you are. we don't stop being able to learn, it just gets harder.
>>
I am Belgian and Speak Dutch,French and English but i want my English accent to have Boston sound..How do i achieve these??
>>
>>11064966
I live in Biston and have no idea what that accent is like.
>>
>>11065106
>>11064966
he means that bullshit Italian/Irish macho accent

it's not an accent man it's just the way they speak, you don't develop it unless you live on the block
>>
People trying to speak with a fake british accent is fucking lame.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.