[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arbitrary Rules in Fashion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: hjk.jpg (219 KB, 880x1164) Image search: [Google]
hjk.jpg
219 KB, 880x1164
Can someone explain to me what purpose these serve? Aren't they all antiquated nonsense at this point?

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with wearing brown shoes with black pants, buttoning your bottom jacket pocket, etc. Why are we expected to follow these "rules"?
>>
Those shoes look like shit though
>>
because wearing a suit is a uniform. These rules make it formal, not following these rules is casual therefore destroying the point of wearing formal wear.
>>
>>11051673
Formal wear doesn't exist in the way you're describing anymore, it's 2016.
>>
Rules are meant to be broken.
But rules should not be broken till you have a complete understanding of them.

You don't understand the rules.
>>
>>11051686
This literally means nothing
>>
>>11051647
Most suits are cut so that they look best with the bottom button not buttoned. If ya wanna button it be my guest but you'll look like shit and even basic Normie's will think you're a pleb
>>
>>11051678
confirmed autistic
>suits dont exist anymore but they did 4 months ago
>>
>>11051691
An integral part of fashion and thus art (creative expression) is the evolution of ideas. If you don't understand the ground rules of an artistic endeavor you can't really begin to understand the changes that would suit the base.

Those shoes look like shit a either way.
>>
>>11051647
Brown with black looks pretty retarded. Buttoning the second button will make your suit fall less, giving it less character. However, its perfectly fine to do so, in formal occasions, i could even recommend it. Also, for larger people.

Honestly, i would recommend against wearing a black suit, especially with a white shirt, as it makes you look like a waiter or something. Get rid of those shoes and burn those socks. Try a pair of gray dress pants or chinos or even beige ones (which work for dressdown situations), but i suspect your suit is a tad too dark for it.
>>
>>11051691
It means that since you dont even know or understand the rules, you shouldn't try to break them. Look at some pitti uomo pictures if you want to see people breaking "dress" rules and still (mostly) pulling it off.
>>
>have black jeans I wanna wear
>can't because I only have brown boots

Is it really such a sin?
>>
>>11052275
I do this, although my boots are dark brown sooo
>>
>>11052275
depends on the brown
if it's some shit brown like op's shoes, then no
>>
File: 1386825799506.png (118 KB, 425x284) Image search: [Google]
1386825799506.png
118 KB, 425x284
>>11051686
>Rules are meant to be broken.
That is the exactly opposite of what rules are meant for you little shit.
>>
More than the fashion gate keepers, it's in my experience that it's the fuccibois that impose the rules, they think by dressing like it's a cheat code they'll have the approval of others finally.
>>
>>11051647
I think they are general guidelines. Those shoes look weird with those pants, brown tends to clash with black, and most suits are built so that the bottom button is superfluous and looks awkward buttoned. It's not that it's morally wrong, there is just a lot of agreement that it looks off in most circumstances
>>
The rules are there to keep you from looking like that guy.
>>
>>11052275
Light and greenish browns look just fine with black, if you ask me.
>>
>>11053699
Very much this.

Especially where suiting is concerned, the "rules" people impose are just guidelines for beginners - things that will prevent you from looking like complete shit before you really know what you're doing. After you get better at dressing yourself, it's okay to start bending most of these rules, if you can justify it by actually looking good. See Thom Browne if you want suits that break a ton of rules but still manage to look really good (albeit not formal, and not to many people's taste).

All that being said, what you've posted looks like poo poo. I can't picture those shoes ever looking good, the proportions (torso vs. legs) are quite severely off, the jacket fits poorly, and the shirt collar doesn't sit well.
>>
>>11053830
>>11051758
This so much
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.