[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9
File: QuickMemo+_2016-02-29-14-21-53.png (264 KB, 719x699) Image search: [Google]
QuickMemo+_2016-02-29-14-21-53.png
264 KB, 719x699
Boots Guide? I want to invest in boots. Ones that will last me for a while.
I've been eyeing on Red Wing's Iron Ranger. Pretty pricey but I'd like /fa/'s input.
>>
i have them in black. i like them, but willing to sell them to you if you like. they are 9.5, only worn a handful of times.
>>
Don't buy used boots unless they're heavily discounted or have little to no wear. That guy's "handful of times" may or may not mean creasing has set in, which is unique to his foot.
>>
buy my boots bitch
>>
lmao get a load of this guy trying to get rid of his purchase regret
>>
Have them for 3 years and love them ever since. If you dig the style, buy them, can't do anything wrong. Mine look like new after washing and waxing them, and i pretty much wore them every day.
>>
>>11012527
>Don't buy used boots
This.
Proper leather boots with real leather insoles, which is what red wing's heritage line all have, are subject to wearing in and molding to the foot of the wearer.

Buying used shoes/boots of this kind is almost like walking in someone else's footsteps. All the time.
So unless you and the previous owner have feet that are identical in every way (not gonna happen), you're never going to be comfortable.

If you must by used for whatever fucking reason, only:
>I wore it once and it was the wrong size/don't like the color/design/I'm just an indicicive fag and need crack money
or, maybe
>wore them around A FEW (max 3) times, and lightly worn, not full 12hr slogging days up hills and shit, not long enough to make an impression in the foot bed

The latter example differs boot to boot, as the quality of insoles and their cork stuffing, if they're goodyearwelted like these redwings, also differs depending on the manufacturer.

There's also the issue of the uppers, that will stretch and mold and crease in line with the previous owners foot.

Also, the hygiene issue. You'll never get their bacteria and funk out of there if they were the gross kind of slovenly fag to not alternate their footwear so that they could air them out after wearing them.

TL;DR avoid used footwear like the plague, not only because they may have plague, but also because they'll never be truly comfortable for you. Only if they were worn once for sizing, or LIGHTLY worn a few times because of gay pussyfooting otherwise you're just being cheap to your detriment.
>>
>>11012638
cork midsole

this also holds true for any cup sole sneaker that uses a cork insole (common projects)

also......

cardboard midsoles (all nikes ever) are susceptible to this as well
>>
File: retarded ledditor.jpg (116 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
retarded ledditor.jpg
116 KB, 1500x1000
>>11012638
That being said RW IR's are okay. They're nice looking casual boots that're not for work nor winter, but will look nice after a typically rough wear in (be prepared for pain) and will serve well for many years if you take care of them; these aren't like disposable sneakers, they do require maintenance.

The harness leathers, black and amber, are much tougher than the hawthorne roughout and the rough and tough leathers. 8115 copper rough n tough is the best IMO, for initial comfort and looks. The charcoal rough tough is also good if you want a grey boot, but I recommend edge dying welt black yourself since the tan is incongruous with the grey.

I recommend the copper not only because I noticed an easier break in due to the more pliable leather, but also because the rough and tough leather has a most peculiar quality: instant pantina. Every step displaces the oil and you get a mottled appearance similar to one that other leathers achieve only after a long period of wear and or burnishing with polishes.
Also, they're lighter in color compared to the pictured amber harness.

Unless you're sure about what you want, when in doubt pick the lighter leather shoe; it WILL get darker. And you can expedite the process if need be.

A dark shoe will only get darker, and I've seen way too many pics of amber IR's turned that totally bland muddy shit brown because the owner went full retard slathering too much waterproofing wax or whatever the fuck on it, too frequently.

The amber quality is totally gone, and what's left is the color of mud.
Gross.

The copper is lighter to start with, and though RW recommend mink oil with the ruffuff's, I'd say go lexol conditioner. It won't permanently darken them and you'll retain the insta-patina effect.

Pic is a pair of amber harness IR's worn to death by some leddit retard. It's what they'll look like if you wear them for 3 years straight, no breaks, no resole, no nothing, traveling.
Dumbass had the gall to complain about it.
>>
>>11012658
>cardboard midsoles (all nikes ever) are susceptible to this as well
lmao what idiot would buy shoes with cardboard anysoles?

fucking stupid
>>
>>11012665
>no resole
I should say no re-heel, which for most is what needs replacing first in non-leather soled shoes.

This guy was retarded enough to confuse mild red wing marketing and reality.

For best results: rotate your footwear.
Get some cedar shoe trees to stick in them to retain shape when that pair's being rested. Will make the shoes smell nice too, if you're the kind with rank monkey acidic feet sweat.
>>
>>11010947
I actually like redwings

but i don't like how hairline thin their iron ranger soles were

reminds me of peter pan theater shows in high school

i like their vibram wedge moc soles that the japs love in their fashion mags though

when i hear red wing i assume moc toe
>>
File: nike.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
nike.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
>>11012669
most aren'y aware of it, most nikes have glued down sock liners or cover the cardboard mid sole with a layer of foam stiched to the lining and simply aren't aware of the

"lunarion" or "air" "technology" they just bought

hint

it's corregated amazon box material

>There is a Zoom Air bag under the heel foam lasting, and topped off with a hard cellulose board

>corrugated cellouse board material

:p
>>
>>11010947
Red wings are great man, make sure to try on a couple different style though
I went to get some iron rangers last year, went into the store but ended up leaving with a pair of beckman's because they looked better on me
>>
>>11010947
>Read the Goddamn Sticky
>>
>>11013070
>went into the store but ended up leaving with a pair of beckman's because they looked better on me
This is why it's best to try this shit on.

IR's, and beckmans for that matter, get accused of "lel clownshoes!" but that's only true of larger sizes, 10+.
9 to about 7 or so are properly proportioned.
The really largest sizes and smallest sizes suffer from really bad proportions, so the may or may not look good on you depending purely on the size you wear.

That being said, I would say that beckmans suffer from bulbous toe more, at least initially, compared to IR's because the toecap sorta cuts the look. It's meant to be somewhat bulbous because it has a toe cap, at least stylistically (it's no a real cap in the traditional sense of an extra cap shell of leather to cover the toe, used inpre-steeltoes eras for work boots).

After breaking beckmans in, and the boots becoming more worn and upturned in the toe anyway, the bulbosity becomes negligible.
>>
File: NorthernGRADE-13.jpg (184 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
NorthernGRADE-13.jpg
184 KB, 1600x1067
IRs fit best on narrow feet. The leather is very durable, but also stiff. Soles are meh, but mine aren't super worn yet so I won't bother replacing them.

Beckman's look nicer, if a little dressier, and have that thin commando sole for better traction, but I bought my IRs simply because I liked the Hawthorne model for it's rough out leather.

I've had a few pairs of Abington/TBC (Timberland "high end") boots, and they've all been great. The TBC boots have these massive lug soles that have barely worn down in 2-3 years, and the leather has held up well.

Abington is just a personal preference, but I've beat a pair of chukkas into the ground and when I took them to replace the sole (3 years of wear) they managed to make the leather look almost like new just from cleaning and buffing. They all have glued on soles though, if that makes a difference.

I just bought some Oak Street camp boots (see pic), and they look great in terms of construction, leather, and design. Their sizing is about a 1/2 size too big, but if you're wearing huge wool socks, they're perfect. I've heard good things about their other styles too, so they might be worth a look into. I got these on sale (more than half off), so I'll probably be happy with their performance regardless.

I've also owned Filson x Sebago, Diemme, Visvim, Blundstones (for work), and random cheap crap like J shoes.

The Sebago's were built terribly and I was able to rip off the pulls with minimal effort. The soles and leather were cheap, but they had a nice padding layer that did make them initially quite comfy. Diemme and Visvim are probably irrelevant to what you're looking for, but they're both amazing. Visvim is more for style and not as worth the price tag if all you want are durable leather boots. Blundstones are what they are. I have the Greenpatch and they're ugly, but get the job done.

This is just from personal experience. I'd go into more detail, but I'm sure it won't matter, and I should stop procrastinating.
>>
It's a longshot but does anyone have Black Desert Mali's in size 8.5 US for sale?
>>
>>11012638
>You'll never get their bacteria and funk out of there if they were the gross kind of slovenly fag to not alternate their footwear so that they could air them out after wearing them.

I don't think you know how bacteria works.
>>
>>11013701
I don't think you know how smelly shoes can get.
>>
idk if this is the right place to ask but i read a few replies and you guys seem knowledgeable.
my feet constantly hurt. i think i need to get inserts for my shoes but my arch hurts a lot. and it was really bad a few weeks ago and so i altered the way i was walking one weekend when i went to the city to visit friends and i could feel it hurting my feet differently. now when i walk i can feel random pains and shit on my feet that were never there before. its been a few weeks, i was hoping it would go away.
did i permanently damage my feet? is it worth asking a doctor or should i just buy some inserts? are there any stretches or whatever?
i know you guys arent exactly podiatrists but any info would be helpful.
extra info, it didnt used to be a problem until i bought some new boots, i think thats what damaged my arch, causing me to walk differently. the arch has been getting better over the last few months. but idk.
>>
>>11013784
I switched to padded socks after hurting my foot and am a convert
>>
>>11013784
Not shilling but they're Thorlos (specifically the trail running socks)
They're fucking great socks if you're on your feet all day but they're expensive
>>
>>11013806
>>11013813
will look into padded socks. ive also got one cheapo insert i had in my boots which i just put into a pair of shoes. dont know why i always wait too long to get help/do anything. i waited to tell my doctor about my stomach pain until i had several ulcers. really hope my feet arent fubared cause i kind of need them to work for the rest of my life.
>>
>>11013824
They just need a rest
>>
>>11013784
Foot problems are the fucking worst since they can be anything and can be caused by anything. Different from one person to the next because we all don't live and move the same way.

Firstly, what kind of footwear were you wearing before you got the boots you think sparked the problem in the first place?

Also, do you get foot pains the first step you take out of bed in the morning? Like a sharp, ripping sting? Or is it just a dull ache all the time?

How high are your arches?
>>
>>11013840
> foot problems are the worst
What's your line of work, anon
My friends with back problems talk about life in a before my injury/after my injury manner
Back problems are the worst cuz they never go away
>>
>>11013840
well i usually wear chucks which certainly doesnt help. i never had arch problems with my old pair (im the anon with the destroyed chucks ive posted in a few threads) and ive gone plenty of miles in one day in those (maybe like 15 at once) and never had problems. then they got destroyed and i got new ones. the new ones were making my arches hurt a little bit after all day wear, but after about a month that wasnt a problem anymore.
its mostly a dull pain that starts after a while and then just gets worse. however every once in a while when i jump off my bed or something there will be a sharp pain but thats only like once a month and ive always had that.
right now i rotate several pairs of shoes ive had before the boots in question that never gave me problems, and a pair i got after that only gave me slight problems (the replacement chucks mentioned above)
>>
>>11013865
i do calf raises, i stretch my calfs and try to touch my toes, and i do that thing where you stretch your arch by flexing your toes without curling them.
let me know if theres any info you need that i left out
>>
>>11013865
What boots are they exactly?
>>
>>11013876
bean boots. my dad swears by them so i got a pair.
>>
>>11013288
>9 to about 7 or so are properly proportioned
Manlets are not, however.
>>
Piggy-backing off this seemingly Red Wing thread:

Round toe or moc toe for the classic heritage boots? Was thinking 875, but I think I like the look of the 8822 better. However, I only got to try on an 10875. It felt better in my size than the IR's did, but I don't think I'm a fan of the moc toe look. I'm still kinda new to the whole wardrobe thing though (disgusting obese slob finally almost a normal weight and more serious about life than before.)
>>
>>11013985
Depends on your wardrobe
You can only pull off moc toe boots if you're going full on boots/denim/workwear heritage mode
>>
>>11013993
That's the hard part right now. I don't have anything really planned since I'm new to it all and still developing a sense of style.

I will say that I eventually plan on having a denim jacket with patches (I play in several rock bands and music is everything to me) even though I know that's not really /fa/ at all. I was originally thinking the 8822 would be the safest choice since the orangish hue would go with either raw denim or black jeans, which I figure I'll find myself wearing most often.

Sounds to me that the sleeker 8822 would be the way to go then.
>>
>>11014008
Just get iron rangers
If you have anything remotely style specific you'll get torn to shreds by anybody who knows about fashion
And there's definitely been an uptick in style conscious guys in my local scene so I'm sure it's a common trend across music scenes
>>
>>11014124
Thanks senpai, that's kinda where I was leaning anyway. Seemed to be the safest option while giving me room to breathe and experiment.
>>
File: howitzer.jpg (352 KB, 1306x980) Image search: [Google]
howitzer.jpg
352 KB, 1306x980
Will I get clowned on for wearing these in the spring or fall?

I bought them for $50 for walking the doggo when the snow from the sidewalks hasn't been plowed, but they're insanely comfortable despite how ugly they are
>>
>>11010947
Would recommend the iron rangers. Mine have lasted longer than my clarkes and timberlands did, and I still get compliments on them.

Only downside is there's no tread on the bottom, so slippery surfaces can be a problem.

Size runs a bit longer and a bit narrower than normal.
>>
File: 61CPc+LIMEL._UY395_.jpg (19 KB, 382x395) Image search: [Google]
61CPc+LIMEL._UY395_.jpg
19 KB, 382x395
I'm trying to find boots similar to Corcoran jump boots, but not so goddamn tall, anyone know of any quality, brown 6" boots in a similar style and also around the 150-200 price range?
>>
>>11014245
Varusteleka has some, their own brand too.
Though the older models were way better as they had goodyear welt.
>>
Do you put shoe trees in your boots? If so, what kind?
>>
>>11014366
Of course. It gets the moisture out of your shoes and maintains the shape
I got the cheapo Allen Edmonds shoe trees from Amazon. See no reason to invest any more unless I had Aldens
>>
File: WWW_2193_296.png (203 KB, 616x440) Image search: [Google]
WWW_2193_296.png
203 KB, 616x440
>>11014366
I have some AE trees I shove into my danners, and my Meermins proprietary shoe trees that aren't lasted but look like they are. I love em.

I've been looking for boot trees without too much success.
>>
>>11014302
They don't have anything my size in stock, they were just what i was looking for though.
>>
>>11013362
How wide are diemmes, namely their firenze and roccia vet models?

Do the fit true to size?

Also heard their vibram wedge sole is really bad on anything slippery, how true is this?
>>
>>11014612
They're still in production tho so keep your eyes peeled.
>>
Just replying to say that this is one of the most informative threads ever. Seriously lads, this place can be pretty awsome, sometimes.
>>
>>11014648
The boot threads consistently good
>>
>>11010947
Red Wings are the bomb diggy. Buy that shit.
>>
>>11014621
>How wide are diemmes, namely their firenze and roccia vet models? Do the fit true to size?
They're true to size. Maybe a little wide, depending on what you view as average. iirc the roccia, firenze and new tirol fit the same and have the same last.

>Also heard their vibram wedge sole is really bad on anything slippery, how true is this?
They often use a morflex compound on their soles, which is insanely light, but I did find it to be marginally less grippy than a standard christy sole. I feel it could be caused by the lightness of the sole, or even the slickness of the compound, but it's not like I have evidence to back that up.

The ones on the Roccia's are often a different tread pattern, those small horizontal grooves rather than the thick zig zag pattern common to christy soles. Again anecdotal, I find them to be less grippy than the zig zag, but both are fairly shit on ice or in rough terrain.

In terms of slippery surfaces aside from ice, or something like oil, I've never had an issue with nearly any footwear outside of dress shoes with completely flat soles.
>>
I need cheap black ankle boots, what would you rec?
>>
File: cLbstEa.jpg (985 KB, 6000x4000) Image search: [Google]
cLbstEa.jpg
985 KB, 6000x4000
>>11016227
meermin, story et fall
if you can't afford even that, save up
shoes below that price point aren't worth anyone's money imo
>>
>>11012638
>Never be comfortable

This is kind of hyperbole, what it should say is that it's typically just not worth the pain you'll go through getting them to a point where they'll be comfortable.

I have bought one fairly used pair of boots before. I will not be doing it again. The blisters, leather cutting into my heel, and general discomfort is just not worth the smaller price tag. Eventually the leather will reshape to your footstep, just like it shapes to your footstep initially when you break it in, but this takes 2-3x as long as a new pair of shoes and is just awful while it happens.
>>
Comfort is not the issue with used boots, it's creasing. Used boots will not uncrease. You'll add your own creases to the boot, but it will already have creased specifically for another person, and your boots will look shitty.
>>
>>11015374
Thanks a lot, real quality thread here.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.