[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Carol Christian Poell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 268x188
Who is this mysterious designer? Why is so little known about him? Does he still design?

I really love his clothes.
>>
Go onto Style Zeitgeist. There all your questions and more will be answered. He still designs and the reason he stays out of the spotlight is to add to the artisanal and mysterious feeling that the brand exudes. When your clothes are more expensive than Rick's, you have to do something to gain a following. Any more questions?
>>
>>10990053
Hey man thanks for the the response. I actually have a bunch.

Why doesn't /fa/ talk about him more? Where can I find his shows, pics or video?
Any interviews you know of?
Do you own any ccp?
>>
>>10990247
>Why doesn't /fa/ talk about him more?

/fa/ has lost much of the crowd that was interested in various alternative/avant garde designers. You rarely see any of that beyond Rick/Raf.

The current crowd is younger, more diverse, less into fashion, and could hardly buy CCP.

Might dump some stuff here for you tomorrow.
>>
>>10990247
Not him but /fa/ doesn't talk about him because this place is literally /b/ with clothing now
He would've been discussed about 4 years ago but that time has passed
>>
>>10990298
Yea, it's sad to see the quality of the board go down the toilet.

There are still some designer threads that are alright though.
>>
>>10990247

He's essentially a bespoke atelier these days. You can still manage to get made to order pieces if you desire. They are pricey. He's selective about who carries his pieces too.

>>10990313
>>10990295

Even the generals are garbage lately. I'm thinking it all over fashion. Lot of philistines and hypebeasts running around these days, not a lot of interest in avant garde.
>>
>>10990295
>Might dump some stuff here for you tomorrow.
I'd like that a lot dude thanks

So he doesn't do runway at all?
>>
>>10990326
>Philistines

You what? Refering to pakistani people?
>>
>>10990337
Also:

>A philistine person is an individual who is smugly narrow of mind and of conventional morality whose materialistic views and tastes indicate a lack of and indifference to cultural and æsthetic values.
>>
insane samefaggggotry
>>
love ccp. fa has changed unforntately

>>10990397
>replies 8
>posters 10
ok
>>
File: CCP Collar Scarstitch White.jpg (963 KB, 944x1417) Image search: [Google]
CCP Collar Scarstitch White.jpg
963 KB, 944x1417
>>10990247
Here's a video from his SS08 collection:
https://vimeo.com/44993116

Deepti Barth's joining CCP is the point to which people point when talking about him stepping up his game (I think that was in 2005?) but he was doing interesting stuff earlier than that. Here's a video from SS04:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_-FSqHQQxs

Horsetail Knickerbelt is worth watching, too:
https://vimeo.com/71315433

I only have two pieces of his, a knit turtleneck from FW03/04 and a leather jacket from 2008, but they're both stunning. The jacket actually keeps a volume on the hanger and the elbows have these fold-in patches designed into the garment to allow for easier movement but they also make for a really interesting effect when the arm is straight down.
>>
>>10990247
No, unfortunately I do not own any pieces. Maybe I'll change that if I get the chance however. Some other artisanal brands you can check out are Paul Harnden and Geoffrey B. Small. They're not too similar in design aesthetic to CCP, but if you appreciate Carol Christian Poell, you will most likely appreciate the two.
I think the reason /fa/ moved away from brands like these is because this board became much younger in who it pertains to. You'll see constant Yeezy posts (Not really real fashion in the sense of the word--I still think he got Sasu Kauppi to do all the work) and barely anything for instance on the Antwerp Six and it's pretty sad in a way. I remember first coming on here and seeing amazing WAYTs and it barely occurs anymore where I will like a fit.
>>
>>10990053
So like a modern day MMM when he was in charge?
>>
>>10990723
They worked at exactly the same time you big dummy.
>>
He's a great artisan and his work is at the top, but he hasn't been doing anything for years. All the hype in this niche is what keeps him going when he's not just rehashing the same products in different colors and treatments, mainly his leather work.
Geoffrey B. Small, Zam Barrett and Individual Sentiments are three other brands worth checking out whose works are some of the highest caliber.
>>
>>10990723
In a way by how private the two are, yeah. The works are different.
>>
>>10989602
this nigger fell off in 2011
>>
>>10990807
GBS, yes
The other two not really, especially not Zam
>>
>>10990821
Why do you disagree with IS and Zam? CCP surpasses them in terms of construction methods.
>>
>>10990807
zam makes great bottoms (have the overlocked and DNA trousers), but not a big fan of his jackets
>>
>>10990825
GBS is a really different style than the others in that list imo. A1923 and Form D'Expression belong more in that group (though I'm not a big fan of the latter).
>>
File: booklet 1.jpg (99 KB, 586x600) Image search: [Google]
booklet 1.jpg
99 KB, 586x600
>>10990825
IS is just another derivative dark artisinal brand, doing nothing special. If you're looking for a brand like that either Daisuke or Ria Dunn's work is much more interesting and plain better in my eyes.

Zam rehashes the same designs that he himself took from others over and over and over. He's a skilled pattern maker, but that's about it. His clothing is quite bland, and his inspirations are VERY obvious.
>>
>>10990827
Zam definitely does great with his bottoms. The designs of his other products are a hit or a miss, but the quality is still high.
>>10990845
True, GBS has more of a classical European aesthetic compared to the others. MA+,A1923 and FDE are better labels for this aesthetic.
>>
>>10990853
Yoko of IS isn't trying to do anything special, only creating solid garments season after season. Her footwear is some of the best without overdoing it.
I love Devoa, but I somewhat disagree with Ria.
Zam has worked in the military before making his label, which is where the inspirations come from. CCP also has the same inspirations from the military. In fact, Stone Island did a lot of what CCP has done before label was even founded.
>>
>>10990884
Modern L&F is p bad, but when she first started her collections were actually stunning.

Zam may pull from military silhouettes, but he is still making what some nay even argue to be copies of other designers works. See CCP, Rick, Boris, etc
>>
>>10990884
Can you post/elaborate on the SI comparison, never heard that before
>>
>>10990903
I haven't handled any of her early work. Her knits and sneakers are still good. I actually bought a pair of sneakers last year and I dislike sneakers. They were too cool to pass up.
>>10990905
Garment dying(which has become common nowadays)
Taped seams(also pretty common)
Detached seams for articulated movement(commonly seen on Devoa and Leon Blanck)
Reflective surfaces
Rip-stops

Stone Island were early adopters of the military/industrial/utilitarian look and designs for their work. CCP also took the same ideas but had a more artisanal approach. The Drips were based off of a pair of old Nike's that CCP loved. I think they were from the 90's and were Air Maxes...idk, don't remember.
>>
>>10990884
You cannot describe Zam's work as something with "inspirations." He identifies a market niche, then realizes it at a lower price and with greater accessibility. A better word would be "opportunity." To use it in a sentence: Zam examines eBay search queries and realizes there is an opportunity somewhere at the junction of "scar-stitch," "chainseam," and "artisanal."
>>
>>10990966
lol, i would hope he is not quite that shrewd when it comes to designs. Sure, his clothing tends to be at a lower price point, but that definitely doesn't correlate linearly to lower quality or anything. I think it is more a matter of smaller markups on his luxury goods.

Overall, I do agree with you about him not being the most original of designers.
>>
>>10991254
Zamb is a designer now?

Nigger just knocks off real designers and slaps a Christian label on it and does business on an internet forum
>>
Threads like this still give me a little hope in /fa/
>>
>>10991310
This

I've been thinking about making a forum for these types of threads. /fa/ is kind of beyond recovery by now.
>>
>>10991322
nwvn.net
>>
>>10991273
>real designers
Such as? Zam also doesn't identify himself as a designer but as a tailor, which shows in his work. The tailoring is great.
>>
Where can I buy CCP online these days, other than grailed?
>>
>>10992173
ebay, sz listings
>>
Thoughts on devoa and lumen et umbra? I agree with the IS statement by large, really solid almost "basic" items with a twist. Had the pleasure to handle some pants last year which unfortunately i had to sell cz i got the sizing wrong.

The thing with avant garde tho i found that towards the end i'm too much of a manlet with weird proportions to pull it off, most of their stuff seem to fit best for someone who'se 5'11 and taller. That and how you almost have to subscribe to the entire aesthethic, which is why i reverted back to normcore with an occasional 1-2 pieces of "artisanal items"

Also shout out to label under construction <3
>>
>>10993040
I've seen some simpler things from Devoa that I like quite a lot, but the acquisition maaaaan
>>
>>10993040
>>10993040
leu has awful shitty construction everything falls apart after 5 wears. i would only buy really simple stuff like beanies and shit cause they have some nice fabrics

is is nice sometimes but a lot of the cuts are really bad or the fabric doesnt work for the cut

devoa is really nice its easily one of the better ones, no complaints. pricing is really fair too compared to a lot of others

zam is literally a scam

deepti is trash
>>
>>10990295
>>10990329
I was about to make a MEGA, but I think it's easier to do it like this:

Various interviews with CCP, and +50 press clippings:
http://carolchristianpoell.mak.at//publications

The above is great if you want to read up on his design philosophies.
His collections are listed on that site, but more content is unfortunately not accessible without login.

??/00 BEST BEFORE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5gAu71LZ7A

FW/01 PUBLIC FREEDOM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wrXllsT54E

SS/02 TRADITIONAL ESCAPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqwK7GIyYFM

A great article translated from German -> English can be found here:
reddit.com/r/translator/comments/3yhald/

If you want to check out garments that have been for sale:
http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums/tags.php?tag=carol+christian+poell

A +501 pages (dead) SZ CCP thread:
http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2604
>>
Thoughts on emerging, sorta new labels like song for the mute? Really enjoy what they've been doing for the past few seasons, and i'm a sucker for well made fabrics.

Also thamanyah?
>>
>>10993259
appreciated man

I love all of you in this thread
>>
>>10993354
Thamanyah is great. Ahmed's latest collection was the best showing for that FW.
Song for the Mute wasn't very good at first but has been improving season after season. Their latest collection is their best yet.
>>10993146
LeU doesn't have shitty construction. My pieces have held up very well.
IS also doesn't have bad cuts. The tailoring is what Yoko is best at.
Deepti is far from trash. CCP went downhill after she left the label. Her talent as a pattern maker is what made the Dead End collection so great.
Zam is also far from a scam.
>>
How's the sizing on LUC raw silk cardigans?
>>
>>10993849
Fuck it should be:
https://www.reddit.com/r/avantgardefashion
>>
>>10993855
>https://www.reddit.com/r/avantgardefashion
This makes me want to fucking kill myself lol.
>>
>>10993802
Not entirely sure. LUC's sizes differ depending on each product. From my experience with their knits, I size up one or two.
>>
Found this interview by Geoffrey B. Small:

http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?p=205020&highlight=history#post205020
>>
>>10993964
Why? /fa/ is shit now. Reddit is pretty good with niche things. You sure as fuck won't learn a lot on /fa/ these days except how edgy a teen can be or how much you could resell some supreme shit for.
>>
>>10993995
Why aren't you capable of posting on unwoven like a normal person? You HAVE to go to reddit so you can play with your cock in front of everyone?
>>
>>10994026
You fucking shit posting btard trash. I don't give a flying fuck about your faux superiority of being a better person by not posting on a fucking online forum full of normies. I discuss fashion and not memes you dunce cap. You're just as supercilious as the rest of the people on some stupid shit ass forum or whatever the fuck because they can click a fucking mouse and type on a fucking keyboard the name of a web address. You are probably such a fucking dick loving autist irl. This subreddit contains the discussion of all things which are avant garde and artisanal. This pertains to what the original faggot wanted to talk about. Style Zeitgeist died and for some reason this board became infected by chinese niggers and edgy teens and whatnot who only post about how cool yeezy is. It's literally r/streetwear. I'm so done. Fuck you and for the love of the Jew's great space wizard, kys. Also fuck you all for wanting to buy $4,000 pieces of kangaroo leather made into a facsimile of a coat. Children are fucking starving and you all hide in your fucking basements and post on an Australian shit posting graduating class discussion emporium to show how cool you are for wasting mommy and daddy's money. I tried to be nice and have an actual fucking discussion, but fuck all of you. Learn about artisanal brands yourself by not being lazy and looking shit up. Faggots.
>>
File: 1447997265681.jpg (12 KB, 122x230) Image search: [Google]
1447997265681.jpg
12 KB, 122x230
>>10994126
>>
>>10990247
>Why doesn't /fa/ talk about him more?
just take a fucking look at the waywt, /fa/ has become a shitstain no one cares about real fashion
>>
>>10991322
Stylezeitgeist and tons of others forums. Fa always was shit.
>>
>>10990410

all i would really want from him would be that jacket in black a pair of dipped derbys & oxfords
>>
File: FukkenSaved.png (2 KB, 210x161) Image search: [Google]
FukkenSaved.png
2 KB, 210x161
>>10994126
Hahahahaha

WITNESSED

10/10
>>
>>10994026
>Why aren't you capable of posting on unwoven like a normal person?

Because /fa/ is literal children like birthday who will be laughed at if they ask stupid questions on there. These kids aren't interested in actual discussion and don't live the lifestyle to support a designer like carol.
>>
I like SS04 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_-FSqHQQxs

>>10994126
EXCELLENT post
>>
bump for a weirdly on-topic thread
>>
>>10994784
Fuck you
>>
I own a CCP t shirt I brought from Grailed just to see what a £500 t shirt was like. When I've stopped being poor I'll hopefully be able to invest in more. Construction, detail etc of his pieces are absolutely insane

>>10992173
Darklands have some

>>10995297
SS04 is also on e of my favourites, great concept
>>
>>10996082
case in point
>>
his tees aren't even good though. like one of the worst designers at that price point.
>>
>>10996082
he's right though kid
>>
>>10996109
I would never pay anywhere close to £500 for one lol, I got it for like £70 from Grailed. I was referring to his other pieces that I've handled (not very many) as far as quality goes. Still a pretty fucking good t shirt though
>>
>>10996082
No, fuck YOU, leatherhead.
>>
>>10996102
I'm not writing some extended response to defend myself, there is no point. Your views of me are wrong and uninformed. Do you really feel I have no interest in anything in this thread or sites like unwoven?
>>
>>10996125
I think that you feeling the need to swooce in here to defend your honor is self-explanatory
>>
>>10996125
>this faggot being butthurt ruining thread again
wow what else is new
>>
>>10996128
I was in the thread, because I was surprised to see it. I saw your post. I defended myself because you made a statement that was wrong.

I don't have any delusion that many people like me here, so there is no honor to defend. Now it's just you sloppily trying to bring up new ways to insult me.

Aren't you the one who has this strange vendetta against me? The one you bring up every chance you get?
>>
>>10993119
u just gotta keep your eyes on rakuten and yahoo jp
>>
>>10996162
>>10996125
>>10996082
can you just fuck off already

you ruin every serious discussion with your childlike ego
>>
>>10996162
I'm starting to think you really are autistic. Nobody gives a shit about you and this is not your blog.
>>
>>10996309
What in this thread has been posted that is of any value? I'd like to hear your opinion, mostly it's just shit that has already been said hundreds of times before or bland opinions on brands. There is no "discussion" and so nothing to be ruined. Are you really that proud of this thread?
>>
>>10996342
>that has already been said
That's nearly every conversation we could anyone could possibly have. Doesn't mean we should stop having conversations.
What makes this thread worthwhile is how it's about legitimately great brands that are entirely about the craft and not hype.
>>
>>10996162
congrats
you shat it up simply by being
good work
>>
>>10993427
>i spent a lot of money so i have to defend this garbage now

lol
>>
Aaaand that's why we can't have nice things
>>
>>10990326
I know a dude that custom ordered drips recently. Saw him wearing them and the still had the "icicles" sticking out of them so i asked how he found them that new. Must've paid a pretty penny for them
>>
>>10996649
>i don't know anything so i'll use greentext for insults

lol
>>
>>10996715
Good post
>>
>>10990326
uhhh but u are completely tasteless goob
>>
>>10996846
Thank you.
If you liked that one, you may like this one even more:
>>10993259
>>
>>10996897
is this some validation towards yourself? that post gathered information that is already extremely easy to find. shitpost somewhere else
>>
>>10996917
>ugh post relevant discussion towards the thread topic somewhere else
ffs at least this thread was good for a while before your kind came along
>>
I'm curious as to why /fa/ has such a thing for the dark, experimental designers like CCP, julius, rick, guidi etc (not very good at describing the style), but other niche designers that don't fit this style like JW Anderson, Craig Green, Marni etc rarely get discussed
>>
>>10996943
The artisanal designers emphasize on the clothes and quality of making them.
Marni and JW Anderson aren't good designers, and Craig Green is underrated.
>>
>>10997181
>>10996943
i hate this fucking bulshit answer everytime the question comes up" i like it because its muh quality and muh underground design. focuses on clothes rather than communication and celebrity culture blablablabla". an opinion thought out by a dweeb that plays dressup buying 6th hand rakuten julius and rick.

jw anderson is a good designer and you can have quality and craftsmanship without being CCP or a post carpe label. the reality is it's harder to wear and there's no hype around it on internet forums so no one has interest in it. also i don't think anyone on /fa/ has any actual interest in fashion lmao.
>>
>>10996943
craig is way different tho, feels like a mix of HL and Juun J. in a weird way
>>
>>10996943

Because those dark/experimental designers you name appeal to a large section of this site's demographic, being edgy/grimdark shit that can make them look like their favourite brooding, Shadow The Hedgehog character from their animes. And because they are expensive, niche designer with a high pricetag, these posters can feel not only justified in their tastes, but superior because of this.

Marni and J W Anderson on the other hand, represent flamboyant, rather feminine clothes, a form of peacocking which appeals to 'fashionistas', fags (and those not afraid to be mistaken as such), in other words, intensely extroverted individuals who are confident in themselves and want to provoke. This, as you can probably guess, is not the personality of the average user here.
>>
>>10998155
>intensely extroverted individuals

This actually applies to the grimdark edgy shit too. The kids on /fa/ just don't realize it and do not leave the house actually wearing any proper rick or whatever that doesn't consist of the nauseating meme shoes
>>
You guys will never shut up about the self hating.
If you don't like /fa/ or don't do anything to contribute to it just leave and return to your SZ circlejerk.
I, for one, applaud OP for making this thread
>>
>>10998182
kill yourself child

/fa/ was good at some point, now its garbage
>>
>>10998188
not really...
>>
>>10998191
>If you don't like /fa/ or don't do anything to contribute to it just leave and return to your SZ circlejerk.

:^)

kys
>>
>>10998199
I like /fa/, just some parts of it.
>>
>>10998205
you like the shit parts kid
>>
>>10998209
You're obviously one of the reasons why the main parts of /fa/ are shit, grow up this is not /b/
>>
>>10996917
In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is not a shitposter.
>>
CCP is becoming ruined by a bunch of fucking tumblr/instagram posers
>>
File: vcD7xaz.jpg (25 KB, 450x675) Image search: [Google]
vcD7xaz.jpg
25 KB, 450x675
>>10998455
give an example. I assume just his sneakers?
>>
>>10998478

the fuck does that Craig Green model have to do with anything I said?

and I don't keep track of all the tumblr fags/instagram kids who play the shit out, so I don't have examples for you
>>
>>10998488
it doesnt lol, I meant to join in the brief Craig Green discussion earlier ITT but I didnt, and left the image in by mistake

I can't see CCP having that much fuccboi appeal though, there's enough tacky/expensive/more accessible shit out there to keep them distracted
>>
>>10998497
>delusional
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.