[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"In town, never brown."
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: image1xxl.jpg (145 KB, 870x1110) Image search: [Google]
image1xxl.jpg
145 KB, 870x1110
There used to be an old taboo with the adage I mentioned about wearing brown shoes with black pants, or brown shoes out period. But these days I see more and more men wearing black pants with brown shoes.

Is the "taboo" dead? Is there ever a reason you should not wear brown shoes with black pants, or brown shoes period?
>>
>>10988575
>Is there ever a reason you should not wear brown shoes with black pants

except it being hideous?
>>
>>10988598
What's hideous about it? The ones in the picture look OK.
>>
>>10988575
What kind of retarded imaginary fashion rule is that? Never heard of it in my life, nor have I heard anything against brown shoes period.
>>
>>10988575
it's mostly a rule when it comes to formal menswear cause it looks awful
can work in casual fits
>>
>>10988632
my gran always used to say 'never wear brown to town'
>>
>>10988630
The picture has a pair of denim pants you donut.
>>
It depends what the situation is really. I wouldn't wear brown shoes to a job interview, but if I had the job and was comfortable there I'd have no problem wearing a navy or grey suit with brown shoes.
>>
>>10988642
this
>>
>>10988678
Oh, I thought you meant the shoes. Yes, those look silly. I think they'd look OK with dress pants or slacks.
>>
Brown looks best with indigo jeans.
On the other hand indigo jeans never go with black shoes. Seriously who keeps this "black is versatile color" meme alive? They aren't versatile at all. You can only wear black CPs with black pants/jeans.
>>
>>10988651
Maybe she was talking about going out in public with a brown girl.
>>
>>10988575
This isn't black jeans, it's indigo (albeit dark). Don't wear black shoes with blue jeans and don't wear brown shoes with black jeans and you should be okay.
>>
>>10988651
She was referring to the degeneracy of coalburners
>>
>>10989143
What about with dress pants or slacks? Or does that go without saying.
>>
>>10988575
who cares about the old social taboos

brown shoes with black pants looks fugly as shit and only actual faggots that missed the color class at gaybo school do it
>>
>>10989143
Can you wear black shoes with grey jeans? BEcause to me it looks like only color that goes with black is black.
>>
>>10989165
you can wear black shoes with grey and charcoal suit pants, but i'd say it would be dependent on the shade of the jeans

if they were so light that they're nearly white then I personally would think the contrast is too great

depends on the style of shoe, too though
>>
>>10989182
Full black CPs low. Got them on sale, but didn't figure out how to wear them.
>>
>>10989186
see that's the magic of the white ones
i'd have no hesitation in wearing the whites with those pants or even maybe the bicolor white sole, black uppers
but with full black?
the top would def make or break the fit
choose with care
>>
>>10989186
i'm trying to decide whether or not cuffing the jeans would help somewhat.
maybe it'll give a necessary break between dark and dark?
or maybe it'll just look like shit

glad i didn't cop the black ones lmao
white ones on black friday 2 years ago
nice deal
>>
>>10989194
Will never ever buy on sale just because it's cheap. Now they collect dust and I have no idea what to wear with them. Even with black jeans tops seems to not work. Only works with autistic full black style.
>>
>>10989222
>Only works with autistic full black style.
plain white top?
>hipster cafe barista core

what have you tried?
>>
File: 1448592328936.jpg (89 KB, 778x718) Image search: [Google]
1448592328936.jpg
89 KB, 778x718
>>10988575
>oxfords and jeans
>>
>>10989248
they are brogued and tan tho
that does mitigate things somewhat

if op pic showed black straight captoed oxfords in black then it would be super retarded.
>>
>>10989253
I think the combo still looks pretty awful.
>>
>>10989266
I agree. I see that pairing a lot, and it's never sat well with me. I don't care if they're brogues and tan, the weight and stiffness of the denim material combined with the inherently casual nature of jeans just looks off with oxfords.
>>
>>10989351
>just looks off with oxfords.
>>10989266

true
if they were derbies then there should be no problem
unless the coloring is off for you or whatever

oxford construction and jeans is just as you say, it looks "off"
>>
>>10989372
eh
I just don't think jeans match well with things that aren't more rugged boots or just sneakers, and that includes derby shoes
>>
Grey bottom + brown shoes + pretty much any top is the way to go for business casual for the past few years, maybe that's why you see it out and about OP
>>
The Black + Brown taboo is for suits only.
>>
>>10989482
Suede derbies, or derbies with contrasting colors can look good with jeans.
>>
>>
just wear what you think looks good, /fa/'s onion doesnt matter
>>
>>10989058
KeK
>>
I think tan and black look good together.

Black and brown is kind eh though.
>>
>>10989945

Personally I think that would just look better if he had black shoes
>>
>>10988632
you must not know much about fashion
>>
File: kDaiYup.jpg (4 MB, 4000x6016) Image search: [Google]
kDaiYup.jpg
4 MB, 4000x6016
>>10989945

Idiots who think you can't wear black and brown together in 2016 probably think you can't wear green and blue together.

Browns at the darker end of the colour spectrum (think chocolate, bistre and taupe) can often be mistaken for black, so pairing the two together can lead to a lack of definition between pieces and the ‘muddying’ of the look as a whole. As we’ve said before, it’s all about contrast.

With this in mind, when you’re pairing black and brown together, make sure you opt for lighter shades of brown. For instance, why not try pairing tobacco brown tweed trousers with a big chunky knit and some even chunkier black brogue boots?
>>
So if I wear black dress pants or khaki dress pants with brown shoes nobody is going to think I'm retarded, right? I don't care if the /fa/shion /pol/ice do, but will normies think I'm doing something wrong?
>>
>>10990077
Depends entirely on the pants and shoes in question, as well as how they fit. Baggy khakis with black tennis shoes is prolecore.
>>
>>10990031
This.
He's screaming so hard for attention with that combo. Okay, he's a celebrity but still.

The hypocritical bullshit essence of /fa/ is to put tons of effort into a fit, scream for attention but not look as if you are doing so.

To give off an air of effortless grace even if blood sweat and tears were expended in great quantities to achieve any give look you clad yourself in.

This guy just looks like a tryhard.
And that's not effay.

When you see this guy your eyes are drawn directly to the loud, by comparison, shoes, completely bypassing his other features and his bland face.

You don't really want to do this, unless you're like quasimodo and need the distraction.
>>
>>10988575
It's a british adage, from a time before cars and proper sanitation.
Black shoes meant you were the guy with the coach, not the guy wading into human and horse shit in very, very brown shoes.

It was also a snobby englander thing, your black shoes would make the lesser people uneasy with you. Better to wear brown shoes, but clean. We can count ourselves lucky that's not an issue anymore.

You shouldn't wear black pants at all, unless it's formal wear. Why would you ape formal wear? You either dress in that, or you don't.
Anyway, shoes lighter than pants don't work as well as the other way around, so if you're wearing black pants, you'll put on black shoes too, and then you're really aping formalwear.
Bad move.
>>
File: 2034353400_1_1_17[1].jpg (321 KB, 1920x2074) Image search: [Google]
2034353400_1_1_17[1].jpg
321 KB, 1920x2074
I just bought this dark navy suit, mostly for formal events and work, but I'd also like to wear it like a regular daytime wear. So I'm thinking what kind of shoes should I get for it, black or brown? People say that women like indigo with brown shoes a lot more, but I kind of want black shoes too. Also, it it okay to wear dark brown shoes with black belt for a suit?
>>
>>10989945
Doesn't look too good, to be honest.
>>
>>10990045
excellent post
>>
what abt gray pants + black shoes?
>>
>>10991251
Brown shoes. Could go a darker or lghter shade, up to you.

As for a belt, I generally like to match it with my shoes. So brown shoes, brown belt, same shade.
>>
it's an old rule thats's practiced in london.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.