[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Leather boot fags, need some opinions for a pair I'm getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_7062[1].jpg (2 MB, 3456x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7062[1].jpg
2 MB, 3456x3456
Leather boot fags, need some opinions for a pair I'm getting made:

- Structured or unstructured?
- Partial speedhooks or all eyelets?
- Cap toe or plain?

Also this leather, cop or drop?
>>
Structured, no padding
All eyelets
Cap toe
That leather's okay for a work boot but I'd go with cordovan if I had a choice
>>
>>10960772

/thread
>>
>>10960772
Thanks. What do you like about cap toes, if I can ask? Haven't owned a pair of boots yet so I'm curious what the aesthetic appeal is. Here's a pic of their shoes with cap toe.

Also want to know about the plus sides of cordovan
>>
>>10960783
Cap toes visually shorten the toebox (especially good for the trend of slim pants, but I like it anyway) and add structure to the area. They also help confine the natural wrinkling of the leather to the area between the cap and the eyelets, cleaning up the toe. I don't like plain toe on a boot (or a blutcher), it just looks unfinished to me.

Cordovan is tough as nails and gets a soft roll rather than hard creases over time - shell cordovan also gets slightly lighter in the creases instead of darker like most leathers, creating a visually pleasing effect. The good stuff is also really expensive which makes me sad.
>>
i guess it comes down to personal preference, but im going to literally say the exact opposite of everything the other poster recommended.
1. to me, cap toes make your feet look more bulbous and like clown feet, i.e. see the iron ranger. 2. i personally like speed hooks, it simply allows you to get your boots on and off faster, i dont see any cons. i hate having to undo the top 2 sets of eyelets each and every time i want to take my boots on and off. its just a matter of convenience really. 3. shell cordovan is nice, no doubt, but its also pretty dressy. i think it really depends on what your style is and what youll be wearing your boots with, before id reccomend dropping 7or 8 hundred dollars on some shell cordovan boots. if you're wearing a t shirt and jeans, i wouldnt get shell cordovan
>>
>>10960805
Yeah, at the end of the day personal preference wins out for the toe design and leather choice. I wholeheartedly disagree on speed hooks though. Normal eyelets are less likely to catch on/damage your pants or rip out from use, even if they are slightly less convenient to do up.
>>
>>10960793
Thanks, that's insightful. The leather in my post is CF Stead classic shoulder and the boot maker described it as very supple with high pull up, so I feel like it'll have nice creases over time - toughness I'm not so sure. I mainly like it because of the rich brown/red color, feels versatile as a color.

Haven't seen very many unstructured toes, do they tend to look too dumpy after time? Mainly interested in them for the room/comfort.
>>
>>10960877
Well, I'm going by the assumption that by "structured" you mean "has a leather or fabric lining and a heel cup" - that's what I'd expect from a leather boot. I don't have experience with completely unlined boots, but I'd assume that the natural heft of the leather should keep the toe area in relatively good shape if you choose a heavier one. Cap toe would help it stay in shape for longer, but it shouldn't really matter.

You shouldn't have to worry about room and comfort if you're having the boots made.
>>
File: bnIAquT.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
bnIAquT.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>10960805
>1. to me, cap toes make your feet look more bulbous and like clown feet, i.e. see the iron ranger.
It sounds quite a lot like you haven't looked at enough cap toe shoes. Red wing offers some stupidly ugly-shaped shoes, and I'm not sure why so many people love them so much. Wholecuts and chelseas/jodhs are pretty in their own ways, but discounting all captoes as bulbous is pretty ridiculous

Shell doesn't have to be dressy at all but yeah having it as a requirement for every shoe you own is fucking ridiculous.
>>
File: blackboots.jpg (270 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
blackboots.jpg
270 KB, 1600x1200
For reference, here's an old picture of my own boots. These boots are comfy as fuck due to the enormous toebox, but are plain toe - and the wrinkling looks like shit on them now, even with use of shoe trees.
>>
While we're here, one of the stitches connecting the vamp of the shoe to the rest has come loose. I'm not sure what to do about it. Try to shove it back it? Snip it? Burn it?
>>
>>10960954
I generally just snip those, but if you can shove it back in and make it stay that'd be better
>>
What's with the iron Ranger hate on this board?
>>
>>10960743
how much you paying for these?
also unstructured no speedhooks they're annoying as fuck when you're actually tying laces and not aesthetic at all
>>
>>10961080
$500. Yeah I'm ditching the speedhooks, care to provide thoughts on unstructured? I was thinking about going for them because I like the idea of a soft toe, but not if it's gonna look like shit after the vamp wears down. Wondering if maybe cap toe mitigates that a bit though.
>>
>>10961102
I dunno it's just an aesthetic choice. I have a pair of unstructured brogues, I like how they fit like a sock so to speak
>>
I wouldn't get an unstructured toe on a boot. When it starts collapsing and wearing they will look like shit
>>
File: Caee1q_VIAAWUVk.jpg (40 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Caee1q_VIAAWUVk.jpg
40 KB, 600x400
>>10960743
the new vintage mocha viberg service boot is god tier

i personally prefer
unstructured toes
all eyelets
and plain toe
but i don't mind cap toe either
>>
>>10961731
is it just me or do cap toes remind you of penises and because of that find them unaesthetic?
>>
>>10961967
everything looks like a penis if you're thirsty for cum
>>
>>10962862
Are you retarded?

Shell Cordovan is horse arse
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.