[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Philosophy Of Fashion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: trad.png (396 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
trad.png
396 KB, 480x480
What does fashion mean to you?

What are some clever thoughts about the role of fashion in modern culture that you had but never deemed worthy of writing down?

I find the whole process of clothing very fascinating. "Clothing" itself can be seen as a compound action which consists of initiatory actions such as clothes-shopping (sporadically/periodically) and dressing yourself (usually daily) and long-term actions like wearing clothing (usually for the length of a day) and owning pieces of clothing (up to many decades, possibly further as family heirloom) all the while being guided by individual (money, social situation, interests, personal philosophy, biography, belonging to subcultures) and cultural factors (conditions of manufacture of clothing, societal wealth, social norms, civility/regulation) and other factors like resources and of course weather conditions.
As most of these factors are affective in nature rational thought doesn't lend itself well to solving this conflict of different interests and as such a dynamic imaginative process of thought is necessary to continue the routine from day to day until one dies (or is no longer capable of dressing oneself).
>>
>>10902701
well, thats what fashion is, aside of fulfilling two basic need of the modern human it serves as a vehicle for culture and emotions
>>
>>10902701
looking good just makes me feel less insecure out in public, but because of that i'll always be a comforming pleb and not someone with ideas to execute in a form of fashion
>>
>>10902736
Yes, you are the cancer of /fa/ no offence
>>
>>10902739
i know, i don't even post that much and never in waywt threads obv/
>>
>>10902745
which is funny because most waywt posters seems to share your sentiment
>>
Fashion is unique in that it is both a performance and a visual art. It is both what you wear and how you wear it.
Like at art the piece reflects a part of the artist. In choosing how you dress, you are expressing yourself either, consciously or not. It is very important in to consider how you dress for that reason because your fashion is the most immediate impression people have of you. Not caring about how you look is not caring about how the world sees you.

The challegne exists to both find a way of best expressing yourself through fashion all the whilst striving to perfect the form independent of how you wear it.
>>
I'm obsessed with the future, particularly my hyper-idealized version of it, from consuming a shitload of sci fi media to studying in a field with large implications for the future to dressing how someone from the future. Fashion serves as a way for me to try and achieve my weird idealized vision in the most overt, physical way possible. I want to be a "time traveler" but without breaking the laws of physics. I view it as a means to a neverending goal and not a goal itself. Basically fashion is a way to achieve a goal for me.
>>
I wish I could come up with something deep or philosophical but honestly I just find it fun. I've also leaent more about things like colour theory and design from my outfits that have assisted my other creative outlets than I ever would have reading books or doing other stuff.
>>
I want to dress myself like a roman senator
>>
>>10902787
this is interesting because from a psychological point of view every action is goal-oriented: the individual imagines a possible future that is the outcome of the performance of the action according to personal and cultural guidance, performs the action and evaluates discrepancies between the new present situation and the formerly imagined alternate present. This is the basic underlying process of meaning-making that lies at the basis of all human culture.
You seem to take this very ordinary thing that every human does more or less incidentally and intentionalise it to the point of fetishisation.
>>
>>10902795
Yeah, I'm with you here. I just have fun with it.

I wear what I want, but try to look "objectively" on it, whether or not I could wear it or make it work. That's all honestly.
>>
>>10902787
r u me anon
>>
>>10902701
For me, fashion is a way to pick up gay boiis.
>>
>>10902976
same
>>
fashion is when people look at me and thinks that my clothes fit well
>>
>>10903002
also,deep inside my mind
i hope dressing well would attract the attention of this grill ive been pinning on
>>
>>10903008
it's similar for me.
I have a concept of the perfect girl and part of this concept is of course the aesthetic she likes which I imagine and try to manifest.
Of course the twist is that all this imaginary perfect girl wants is me so I dress perfectly authentically like myself for the sake of impressing any girl that might share certain characteristics with my girl concept.
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 750x726) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 750x726
>dressing to attract girls

the only reason I got into fashion is because it fit my lifestyle, and I'm antisocial as fuck so I rather be avoided by everyone and normies usually avoid people dressed different than your average person.
>>
>>10902819
Perhaps but you're putting it in utilitarian point of view where there is an assumed end goal but I don't do it to achieve something in sight but because the process itself gives me this sense of fulfillment. The process of evaluating the consequences of the future reality vs the present reality as you said is what I crave for and not achieving any meaningful conclusion from the evaluation of these actions. Perhaps because fully achieving it would alienate me as my vision is very detached from reality.
>>
>>10903537
I should clarify, there is no end goal from the point of view I proposed. Any goal that orients the action in question is temporary as it is derived from the person's momentary needs and the momentary demands of the situation. This "goal" in question need also not be clearly formulated nor even conscious, it may present itself more as an affective imagination of the future, be it positive or negative. This is more micro-psychology of the mechanics of action than macro-psychology about big virtues and striving towards utopia. Any action performed produces a new frame of mind that facilitates the formations of new goals and new actions in a constant state of imagining the future until death.

Glad to talk to a fellow future enthusiast like you, friend :^)
>>
>>10903537
Btw, how does your position express itself in your clothing? This is one of the best thought out responses I got to this kind of thread yet.
>>
>>10903636
Exactly my point. Striving towards an end goal in fashion is almost futile as one gains new insights and inspirations thay largely put the old one to rest either by improving or subverting it. Instead a focus on the process seems to be more productive. I also think this process highlights the uncertainty of the future which is why I enjoy doing it.

>>10903710
You can consider what I wear as "techwear" but not in the cyberpunk hacker ninja sense but in anyway that emphasizes the use of technology. Its either hyper-minimalist clothing with sparse colors and clean lines to represent something utopic during warmer times or olive and earth tones with bulky layering to represent something dystopic (not in a post apocalyptic way but more in the brutal nature of the future). I chose these 2 subsets as they capture the essence of the season as well as reflect alternative realities we are headed to. This references back to my "time travel" idea in clothing.

Basically I view everything as approaching "synthetic" basically where man conquers the forces of nature by making things that surpass it and tech materials fit that whole idea. Pic related sort of expresses the dystopic fashion vew.

Please keep this thread going. Its great hearing from you guys. A lot of interesting ideas here.
>>
i only know that one oscar wilde quote tbqh senpai
>>
>>10903972
what quote?
>>
>>10903886
nice read A+
>>
>>10904204
I think it went something like "fashion is a form of ugliness that we have to alter it every six months." I dont think it was meant to be taken seriously though.
>>
bump for church of /fa/
swaglord pls sticky
>>
For me, what I wear is hardly to do with other people at all. I mean I won't wear something straight up retarded, but I'm definitely branching out from what's deemed "normie". If I try to show someone something I'd like to cop it's often "wow what the fuck is that?" Or "wow that's so ugly" but bear in mind these are in reaction to things like Rick Owens tech runners and Y-3 Qasa's so maybe these people are just plebs.

I definitely agree with future/time travel anon. I like to imagine a 15-17 year old me looking at my current self and thinking "woah that's the fucking future".

Atm I'm struggling to find new pieces for reasonable prices (lmao poor fag) especially mandarin collar jackets that don't look like some martial arts film reenactment shit. I'm also dying for capes/cloaks/shawls to come back into fashion.
>>
File: IMG_3368.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3368.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
i make my clothes me, after a while they lose whatever designer catchet and connotations they had and as the stains and rips accumulate, they become incorporated into my experience.

i like to push boundaries, i like to dress for my mood, during the day i take on whatever identity i express through getting ready in the morning. i don't dress to look attractive, unless that's part of the identity i'm putting on.

I wear shit like this sometimes
>>
>>10905641
i used fashion to explore my identity. parts of me like to be more feminine, and submissive, and beautiful. My clothes help me express that. It's kind of a sexual outlet, I get to wear leather and jackets with bondage-inspired details, feel a little bit of secret kink. I used to get a little thrill from walking around draped in $10,000 worth of brand name garms, but as time's gone on I've become used to it, and I don't think about the price as much. I do still think about the brands I wear, and I play around with the different aesthetics and concepts they represent to me, based on the amalgamated knowledge i have from branding, marketing, runway shows, articles and communities like this one. i think that as time goes on and i progress, this will eventually stop meaning as much to me, and i will become more chiefly concerned with the materials and concepts as i perceive them rather than as i have been told to conceive of them.
>>
>>10905691
it's how i express myself, it's how i spend my money, it's how i indulge in careless narcissism. it's how i allow myself to ask for attention while still remaining secure in my pride. it's a source of private hypocrisy
>>
>>10905611
Future anon here. Mandarin collars and capes are futuristic as fuck. Lets make it a thing anon. Also capes are gaining traction right now.

>>10905715
We're all hypocrites and narcissists. The ones that claim that they're not are the biggest ones.
>>
My personal approach is:

Do not draw attention away from your environment. When seen, do not detract from the visual quality of your environment.

Have as few clothes as possible.
>>
>>10905861

The question is, W2C? The only decent mandarin collar blazers I've seen are either Yohji or mystery source-less items from japanese inspo threads
>>
fashion is a way for jews to steal your shekels
>>
I use clothes to show people that i'm better than them desu senpai
>>
>>10896098
>>
I'm not a bumper sticker kind of person, so I'm not into fashion that's flamboyant or too garish. My intention isn't to make me stand out or intimidate, but rather to cue a subconscious message of "oh, he looks nice." My clothes fit well because I'm not afraid to show off my body, but my colors are simple to make me easy to approach and eyes to pass me over if I'm in a crowd.
>>
ITT: I wanna look good

Cmon anons why do you wanna look good? Go deeper.
>>
>>10909337
When you look good people project noble qualities onto you. Looking good is an easy ice-breaker for meeting strangers, and it also makes you stick in people's heads a little longer.
>>
>>10903145
That's legit the best way to approach attracting people. Be patient anon and it will happen, and when it does it will be good.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.