[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
University look
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 11
I often sit by myself in the university's cafeteria (>tfw no friends) and I usually discretely look at people, especially fashionable women as I eat my lunch / shitpost on my memepad or read a book.

Few month ago, I decided to look better so I did exercise everyday to shape my spooky body but did not changed my clothing habits.
I'm usually in jeans, beige chino, uni's sweatpants with some hoodie, wool pull on top of a shirt or a thin knitted turtleneck.

I want to quit being a beta and see if I can get the attention of people. I don't do it expecting to get some chick, but stop being invisible / ignored would boost my self esteem.
What are the basics mistakes not to do(like sport socks with jeans or something)?
What can be the new major items my wardrobe will orbit on?

I want to keep steady so please don't overdo. I'd try to follow the unreachable and I'd finish giving up with fashion...
>>
>>10766280
Ditch the turtleneck. Make sure your clothes fit well. Look around the Internet and see what sort of style you like and start moving that direction. Be ready to pay more for good items, don't be afraid to spend more on good denim and versatile shoes. Don't buy anything too out there, odds are good you'll look like shit without knowing it early in your effay journey. Slow and steady.
>>
>>10766280
Honestly, completely unironically, go to r/mfa
You will get better help there
>>
>>10766280
>>10766354

Could also just stop going to the internet for fashion advice. It's not hard to steal style from people around you that are getting the kind of attention you want, especially at a university.

Keep working out though, it's one of the best habits you can develop.
>>
>>10766280
Pretty simple, a pair of good fitting jeans, if your on the leaner side slim straight, if not go for a straight leg, cool belt but not over the top, plain t-shirt depending on what colors you like, pair of converse chucks ( I like there leather ones) simple watch. go for a leather jacket for cooler days and a peacoat for the cold days.
>>
>>10766280

Start by buying clothes that fit properly and are the perfect size for you. This will instantly make you look 1000 times better.

From then create an idea in your head that this is the way you want to dress or look like and stick to it. Dress that way.

If the idea is a good one and one that fits your personality, you will look fashionable and it will draw people to you. If the idea is a bad one, you're shit outta luck and lack what it takes.

One thing not to do is to just grab an idea from whomever you perceive to be the most fashionable. Your heart has to be in it. You can't just be fashionable, or make yourself fashionable. You'll just feel uncomfortable all the time and people will notice that you're trying too hard. Fashion is sprezzatura, do what fits you, you have the natural aura or you don't. But if you as a person and the things you're wearing mismatch then you will appear as some weird clown.
>>
>>10766372
>>10766354
See what I mean?
>>
>>10766372

Don't listen to this moron
>>
>>10766280
What uni do you go to?
>>
>>10766280
Read the fucking sticky, it's where everyone starts
>>
What ThinkPad?
>>
>>10767025
kek
>>
literally all you need to start off is a pair of skinny black jeans and some nice shoes.

This automatically puts you in (at least) the top 80th percentile in terms of being well dressed in college. From there just lurk /fa/ and take inspiration.

Sharing adderall with people also helps. Easy way to make friends
>>
>>10766372
jesus fucking christ ignore this chromosome bank
>>
>>10766372
Why are you on /fa/ if you're going to dress as average as that?
>>
>>10766328
But the turtleneck is so comfy...
>Don't buy anything too out there, odds are good you'll look like shit without knowing it early in your effay journey. Slow and steady.
Thanks, it's a good formulation of what I was thinking. You're good with words, anon.

>>10766354
Well, I guess it doesn't hurt to lurk the place. I'll give it a try.

>>10766371
I don't trust my taste and I consider my ability to recognize details and patterns biased.
I'll keep working out tho :)

>>10766372
I'm not into leather jackets nor non tissue converses but I get the point. "Keep it simple".

>>10766381
>you have the natural aura or you don't.
I don't but I want to change it. Aurora is something that is unspokely said on how one is behaving I guess. Posture, facial expression, speaking without blank or hesitation... I'm not able to do it since people tend to ignore me easily but I'll try to change slowly.

>>10766392
Some uni in Japan.

>>10767025
x200 since I'm a poor guy.

>>10768108
>skinny black jeans
I'm not sure it's a good start. It's too easy so misdress and finish in a "all black" outfit like the average otaku that doesn't know that everything in black is not cool.
>>
File: 1416073029681.gif (33 KB, 242x230) Image search: [Google]
1416073029681.gif
33 KB, 242x230
>>10768678
>skinny black jeans
>easy to missdress

nigga please
>>
>>10768678
Lurk, go into inspo threads and save pics you like. Observe people and take note mentally of styles that you find appealing. Start building a wardrobe of basics - solid tees and sweaters, black jeans. Slowly add statement pieces and clothes that accentuate your own style. Hold off on buying pricy pieces until you feel confident in your taste. You live in Japan which is a big plus since there's bound to be many fashionable people, and there are boutiques and shit everywhere if you ever get a real interest in fashion. GL
>>
Loosely copy any outfit from any Tony Hawk game
>>
>>10768707
There are so many combinations that would make me look like a newcomer wannabe tryhard.
>skinny jeans + loose on the top and I'd look like a chicken
>black jeans + black top cause I'm not inspired... I also take some black accessories like my bag or something and I'd look like the beta-tier I'm trying to escape.

>>10768723
I'll try to stick so some inspo. One of my biggest fear is to like things that won't fit on me. But I guess beginning with simplicity limits the risks.
I have few hobbies beside this "try to look better" phase that will hopefully become a habit so I'll keep it reasonable.
>>
>>10766280
You could try prepcore
>>
>>10768757
Forgot the thing
>>
Sorry for the essay but your situation and picture me feel really nostalgic. Does anyone else relate to this?

>Felt like I was invisible the fist years of my Engineering degree.
>No friends.
>Read books, focus on grades, listen to music, play guitar/harmonica, and occasionally chat with old friends
>Can't connect with anyone.
>Figure that I'm just a super introvert
>Halfway through sophomore year I decided to pursue aesthetics. I'm really not sure why.
>Start hitting the gym hard
>Come back for junior lean 35lbs heavier and still decently lean
>Aquire gf first month back
>She swears that she's always had a crush on me. She just didn't think I was approachable.
>Work on fashion
>Friends keep pouring in
>People always say that they always knew I was super smart but just wasn't approachable

Fast forward to now
>About to start final semester of senior year next week
>gf and I broke up due to her being an attention whore and chronic liar
>Still lots of friends but I don't enjoy their company. I feel like an imposter pretending to be their friend.
>Girls ask if I'm gay because "I dress so well"
>Selected to be on the front page banner of the department website
>Women go out of their way to talk to me
>Always laugh it off with a thank you but I feel like I die a little whenever
>Roommates with a girl from the degree program. We agreed to be stay friends but she's made a moves on me several times
>No interest in women
>I really just want to be alone most of the time.
>suspicious of everyone's intentions
>I miss my brother, I miss my cabin, I miss my friends, I miss my dogs
>I'm seriously considering just growing out a shitty beard, shaggy hair, permabulking until I look fat and all I can wear is sweats and hoodies.
>All of my colleagues are talking about steady high paying jobs and I just applied to the peace corps to go to western Africa.

I'll trade you OP, I would give anything to be invincible
>>
File: IMG_0036.jpg (124 KB, 700x471) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0036.jpg
124 KB, 700x471
>>10768768
Forgot my pic and spelled out invincible. Killing it.
>>
>>10766280
>What are the basics mistakes not to do
Dress like a faggot
Be that guy that is always alone
Be that unconfident guy that always hangs out alone
Be that guy that always looks creepy at people
…and so on

Seriously, from your description, dressing in some certain style is the least of your problems. I know, you are not waiting for some clothing advice to magically turn your life around, but start getting self esteem first, and then worry about your looks!
>>
>>10768793
but you need to do something to get self esteem, fashion can do that
>>
>>10768763
triggered
>>
>>10768848
nope. not really.

Sure, an
>anon, you look great!
By a cute girl will give a nice boost, but that doesnt happen IRL, especially not with the stuff /fa/ likes.

I also tried it that way.
>Get a good job, dress good, and when all that is set, I'll probably have friends and a gf anyways
Turns out I was wrong.
No one cares how "good" you dress (no matter the style, if dadcore or goofninja, though the latter probably makes it even worse) if you dont talk to people and dont do anything "normal".
As long as you are not dressed atrouciously bad, you can wear whatever, focus on you social skills first!
I learned that the hard way, and essentially wasted all of my uni time and early career, and now I am that weird dude, trying to bang girls 10 years younger ;_; (shit's cash though!)
>>
>>10766328
Nothing wrong with a turtleneck
>>
>>10768678
>doesn't know that everything in black is not cool
You're in for a surprise.
>>
dress like g dragon if you want to make nip whores wet
>>
File: 1450931725051.jpg (737 KB, 1405x2411) Image search: [Google]
1450931725051.jpg
737 KB, 1405x2411
>>10768768
man bro
you touched me

as seen from the outside it looks like you have everything people tend to wish for when they are unhappy with their lifes
>good looks (only thing that is lacking for me, but im not ugly either so feelsokman)
>physically fit
>smart as fuck
>education
>hobbies you enjoy
>social attention
but there is still a melancholy somewhere deep down in your heart...

A few months ago i was close to killing myself. But then i made another decision.
>outed myself to friends and family (which was one of the hardest steps Ive ever taken in my life)
>dumped my current field of studies and signed in as a fresman for an engineering degree
>got into bouldering and picked up martial arts
It's important to see that all those actions were not the reason that changed me and got me out of my depression but merely a consequence of the decision i made. Of being my TRUE self.

I chose to lay down all those fucking masks i wore every fucking day of my life and finally freed myself.
I carried that melancholy for such a long time that I kind of got used to it, but right now Im slowly learning how to enjoy things again and how to feel happy. Hell I even got the luck of immediately finding someone from my new classmates id consider a true friend. He showed me new ways, and it's exciting and stimulating to be in his presence. It's uncanny how much we have in common.

In the end there is no way for me to teach you how to be happy and no concrete advice. You have everything you need already. And its only you who knows how it's done.
All I can do is share a bit of my own story.

I know this korean coffee bean trading board is anonymous (and most of stuff here is shitposting) but it's rare to see someone giving such an open and honest view into ones soul.
Thank you for that my friend and godspeed for the further travel in this world.
>>
>>10766280
If you want real help I'd start by posting some fits so people can see your body shape and how the clothes you're currently wearing are looking on you
>>
>>10769069
how do you make friends (other than just meeting new people) :-(
>>
>>10769010
Literally too old to be edgy.
>>
File: 1395403331804.jpg (94 KB, 599x676) Image search: [Google]
1395403331804.jpg
94 KB, 599x676
>>10769360
not the anon above, but I have this problem to some degree. I feel it's luck if you make a true friend, but you have to be around people to make it happen. Helps to have a hobby that can be shared. For me that was graffiti, juggling and partying. I think staying true to what you think and what actually interests you is key for finding people that you can really relate to. Otherwise it will just be social roleplay
>>
Leave /fa/

Figure out your measurements and buy clothing that fits (this is probably the single most effective thing you can do to look better)

Buy simple classic pieces that can work with many outfits.

Spend more on quality if you can.

Ignore memeshit, rappers, hypeswag shit. Its just a marketing game to get you to continuously drop money on shit which will be unfashionable in a week.

Don't wear stuff with logos all over it or massive branding.

Leave /fa/
>>
>>10769069
>coffee been trading
What's the meaning of this expression. I'm not a native speaker and I'd like to know its meaning. Sounds pretty good.
>>
>>10769461
a joke? im guess he said that instead of "japanese anime image board"
so like sarcasm?
>>
>>10766280
Ditch the jeans, hoodies, t-shirts, sweatpants, logo shit, and athletic shoes for all occasions other than going to the gym. See what you need to get to complete your wardrobe once those pieces are out of your life.
>>
>>10768768
>>10769069

Ok, simillar experience.
I'm on my last year of Uni and I am not quite miserable but... I am afraid to admit it to myself, but I'm not really happy. It's been more than a year since I've felt excitement, amazement or any really strong emotions. Luckily no bad emotions either. I got style, good appartment, couple of good friends, a lot of people know me, I go to gigs, parties, movies, pubs. I've got more money than most of my friends. I hook up on monthly basis. Pursue couple of hobbies, including football, gym and martial arts...

But there is that slight melancholy that I am scared to acknowledge. I'm bored. I feel like I'm stuck with a promise of being sucesful that I've made to myself couple of years ago, like I'm pursuing other peoples' goals, and standards of happiness. I feel like the only soul food I get is their approval, or envy or whatever. But I am affraid of letting go of it in search of simpler life. I'd kinda like to go to new small place where I could do a simple mind numbning job, learn a language, look forward to a warm meal and a coffe and that would be it. But I couldn't stand doing that in my courent city. I'm affraid of other people's reactions.

Wat do bros?
>>
>>10766328
agree with everything aprt from turtlenecks. if they have good cuts and outline body shape they are effay af.
>>
>>10768754
you're hopeless if you can't make black jeans work i'm sorry
>>
>>10769721
You also think that vans are cool, don't you?
>>
>>10766280
Have you considered talking to people instead of waiting for them to talk to you?
>>
>>10768678
if you're at university in japan, may I suggest dickies 873s cuffed a bit above the ankle. Just wear a plain white tshirt and some sk8 his/cdh cons high. Wear a plain work jacket like tenderloin etc.

I am english but spent time in japan a few weeks back and wearing things like this I got a lot of positive attention. It's cheap and not outlandish while clearly giving the impression you think fashion is important to you
>>
File: Capture.jpg (38 KB, 389x586) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
38 KB, 389x586
>>10770086
kind of like this but not a jersey on top
>>
>>10770146
this is very cool if you can skate, a bit 'cherry' but cool. Supreme and streetwear is very large in japan so I can see it being seen as a good luck
>>
>>10766280
>university

You pretty much get hard wired in your teens and it's virtually impossible to change anything major about yourself after that.

Also stop wasting so much time sitting in a cafeteria by yourself. That's creepy and tells people you're an unimportant beta.
>>
>>10766372
Why are people so anal about this post? It's pretty generic advice, will be normie core and look good on a /fit/itizen.

Peacoat might be weird if you're not European though.
>>
>>10769483
>>10768768
>>10769069
>Unironically thinking 4chan is your shrink
>Thinking you need a shrink when you have your shit together.

Being depressed every now and then is a natural part of human life. Stop being a faggot about it.
>>
File: 1430968255723.jpg (40 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1430968255723.jpg
40 KB, 550x512
>>10768768
>>10768785
I'm pretty much in your situation exactly. It's my second year and I can't connect with anybody and I'm getting /fit/ and more conscious about my own style because I'm lonely but mostly because I don't feel like I don't really have a distinct presence and image

I doubt I'll be any more approachable after my metamorphosis but I guarantee I'll just follow your path exactly. I can't see myself enjoying the company of the kinds of people who would just randomly approach others and just "make friends". Unless they were the exact kind of people I wanted to attract I'd probably despise their presence but end up hanging out with them because I'd be a lonely fuck otherwise

Damned if I do, damned if I don't. There's no winning is there? We never want what we've got
>>
>>10766280
Get some ocbd's, slim fit jeans/khakis/black jeans, nice but basic sneakers (low on the branding, no bright colors, etc), and invest in a nice pair of boots/casual leather shoes. You don't have to wear Tricky Rick to look better than 90% of people. Basic pieces put together well will look better than anything you could do with designer pieces at this point.

Uniqlo and random mid-tier brands will do fine for shirts, sweaters, etc. Check out some of the more popular selvedge brands and get a few nice pairs of pants that fit well. Fit is very very important with pants. Don't settle on a pair just because they're expensive/feel nice if they don't fit well. Tailoring is always an option if you can't find anything that fits to your liking. As far as boots go it's worth investing a bit to find something that will last a few years.

Just remember to keep your colorscheme relatively basic starting out and avoid anything to flashy/baggy/tight and you should be fine. You can get into some crazy shit later once you've figured out how to coordinate some nice fits.
>>
>>10770722
I went through the exact same thing that you're predicting will happen to you a few years ago. Got fit and some nice fits and was still a sperg with shitty friends. What helped me out is putting myself in places where I wanted to be. Going to shows, film fests, climbing gyms and stuff where anybody there shares at least one common interest with you makes connecting with genuinely interesting people so much easier.

Faking a good personality until it becomes real actually works. Pretend to be an ideal version of yourself, it will be internally awkward and hollow for a while but after some time you'll come to believe it and so will the people around you.
>>
File: 22567856956.jpg (74 KB, 600x743) Image search: [Google]
22567856956.jpg
74 KB, 600x743
>>10770325
you dont understand anything, do you

>>10769483
>I am afraid to admit it to myself, but I'm not really happy.
you just did

>Wat do bros?
Dont ask us. Just read your own post again. It's all there already. Finding the answers is pretty easy when you're brutally honest with yourself. The hard part is finding the courage to make changes.

>>10769360
What this anon >>10769455 said.
Important is that at some point (but not right at your first approach) if you want to find someone at your same wavelength you have to show them who you really are. I know it's hard. Because it's making us vulnerable.
But our flaws and most of our interests (often those we find embarrassing to admit) is what makes us interesting and feel connected if someone else is sharing them.

Take me for example and my buddy in university. We have spent hours with vivid discussions and rants about World of Warcraft (one of the things i was ashamed of liking) and how great it was at Vanilla times.
We use dank memes openly, we often laugh so loud we get scolded by the profs in lectures and irritated looks from my uptight classmates. And when we hit the gym together we sometimes shout "LIGHTWEIGHT BABY" at the last rep of our lmao3.5babyweight diddly lifts.
We just dont give a shit and enjoy ourselves.

I could probably write an entire book about how i think the process of connecting with other people works, but I'll leave it at that for now.
>>
>>10769069
spoke some great words there man

you havent read 'if you meet buddha on the road kill him' by any chance, have you?
>>
I can kinda relate to you OP, except I guess I'm on the end of the road you're trying to get to.

>Currently 21 years old, last year of college studying piano performance and computer science.
>Always dressed well since high school (ofc my style changed since then but you get the point) and getting compliments or head-turns have become normal
>Numerous girls have come up to me to try to talk to me
>Ever since I started college, I started getting like really...disconnected? from everything. Stopped talking to friends, stopped accepting invited to parties or dinners or whatever. Eventually spent most of my time in my apartment alone.
>Started dissociating myself from everyone starting sophomore year, so 2 years ago.
>Now I'm lonely, occasionally go on dates with random girls from college or Tinder or whatever. Still have "surface" friends in college, still get girls hitting on me in class (majority of the music students are female in my school, for some reason)

I know I'm adept in socializing and winning women over (albeit temporarily for one night stands or whatever) and capable of making friends, it's just that I feel utterly uninterested in everything and everyone. Like it feels like I'm watching a puppet of myself and I'm the puppetmaster putting myself through the actions. I guess I'm trying to say is that I have what you want, which is the attention of other people. But you gotta make sure that you're happy with yourself or else the attention of everyone will just be another "nothing" in your life. I know this probably got off track. Just needed to vent.
>>
>>10766280
23 year old here, on my last year of Uni. I'm glad your asking anon since networking has become almost as equally as important in school as getting good grades.

Having good clothes will not make people think better than you. If you want to get the attention of other people you have to surround yourself with people who are paying attention to you. An easy way to do this is to (if you have good grades) form a study group or find people in class you talk to routinely to discuss homework or group projects. Hopefully, you can progress this to a group of people you can walk around with and will be seen talking to. Try to have one or two girls in this group. Another option is to join a club and become an active member. Unless you have something to offer people wither a skill or maybe being funny, people will not pay attention to you, all the time I see people dressed like shit hanging out with qts or having a large friend group.
>>
>>10768768

i'm happy as fuck and have no idea how because my life is a fucking trainwreck

can't relate

i dress well even if i can't afford shit, i've got a bicycle, a dog, a laptop, and a sleeping bag

i'd like a motorcycle though

the only thing i wish i had was somebody to share all of the fun and adventure with besides my dog sometimes

i used to be depressed a little but then i went completely nuts and everything is great definitely suggest this
>>
>>10771173
Define "dressed well"

Like do you wear tshirt and skinnies or do you dress like a polo mannequin?
>>
>>10771173
Read Evola and lift weights.
>>
File: 1423577632905.jpg (136 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1423577632905.jpg
136 KB, 1024x1024
OP you're pretty much going about this the complete wrong way. If you feel alone and out of place, clothes are never going to fix that. If you can't connect with other people, clothes are never going to fix that, nor is being /fit/, making loads of money or being good looking. You have to reach out and start acting like a real human being, have empathy, have confidence. You're probably a lot more likable and potentially popular than you can even realize right now.

And stop posting on /fa/ you're never going to get decent advice on here about anything other than becoming a shallow fuckboi in memewear
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.