[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Two questions, /fa/. So where do chest pockets you stick your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: why.png (2 MB, 1536x1600) Image search: [Google]
why.png
2 MB, 1536x1600
Two questions, /fa/.

So where do chest pockets you stick your hand in the side originate from? A lot of older style jackets have this style, but what was the original reason for it, versus napoleon pockets like more contemporary jackets have?

And where do leather sleeves on jackets come from? What was the original function of making the torso fabric and the sleeves leather?

I know it's all style now, but it had to come from somewhere.
>>
Have you tried taking small objects using the side pockets. They are way easier to do so due to the restricted movement of some jacket caussled.
>>
>>10738063
>They are way easier to do so due to the restricted movement of some jacket caussled.

Huh? It seems easier to reach the center of your chest than having to bend your elbow out to reach the edge.
>>
>>10738033
>And where do leather sleeves on jackets come from? What was the original function of making the torso fabric and the sleeves leather?

Because leather was expensive and if you were being frugal you put it where its protection mattered most.
>>
>>10738081
Wouldn't that be the shoulders and torso? Either soaking out the torso or getting it lacerated seems more serious than the arm, and it seems out of the place with where the more protective/less breathable fabric gets put on contemporary clothes.
>>
>>10738156
so damn freaking aspie
>>
>>10738033
On some raincoats this was a map pocket for hikers I'm pretty sure
>>
>>10738033
a lot of the barbour jackets have chest pockets which are located for easy access when driving a motorbike
>>
>>10738033
chest pockets also serve as hand warmers ala classic peacoats
These chest pockets were functional, you're just a dumb nigga
>>
File: rabss0702.jpg (43 KB, 500x642) Image search: [Google]
rabss0702.jpg
43 KB, 500x642
>>10738033
The ones on the Goose parka are called hand warmer pockets. Name is quite self-explanatory. They usually have an extra layer of insulation between the pocket and the shell and are lined with an absorbent material so that you can put your cold, wet hands in them in winter and they will become warm and dry.

Same idea with those pockets on the Barbour Bedale and Beaufort, as somebody else mentioned the International (motorcycle jacket) has an angled chest pocket slightly higher so that a rider could remove their time card during trials.

In some hiking jackets they have what are known as Napoleon pockets that zip to the opposite side of the torso. They are placed up there so that you can use them while wearing a backpack. (pic related)
>>
>>10738736
I know about the motorcycle and Napoleon pockets. What I don't understand is the high set handwarmer pockets. Many jackets have those and also have side, slip-in pockets closer to the waist, usually behind pouch pockets.

It just seems more ergonomic to place hand pockets lower so you have to bend your elbows less and have chest pockets set to enter across the chest, whether angled pouch pockets or napoleon pockets.
>>
>>10738736
And like the side entry pockets on that Rab are set so high because it's meant to be worn with a waist strap or harness, and they had to be out of the way.

There has to be some similar reason for pockets on old style parkas being set so high.

And anyway, leather sleeves?
>>
>>10739129
Your chest is a lot warmer than your stomach so the additional heat may help to warm your hands faster.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.