[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pocket squares and cuff-links.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: pocket-squares and cuff-links.jpg (59 KB, 550x439) Image search: [Google]
pocket-squares and cuff-links.jpg
59 KB, 550x439
So guys, tonight i will have my prom.
And I want to talk about a suject of style.
Are pocket squares and cuff-links necessary for a suit? Are they even a thing now? It doesn't matter if i don't use them?
>>
>bump
>>
>>10729591
Neither are necessary.

Pocket squares are nice when kept reasonable. Make it a square, not some sort of weird and obnoxious poof. The third guy in the photo you posted is entirely fine, whereas the first two might be a bit much, even for prom. My personal preference, which I do with everything from a business suit to a fucking tux, is just a crisply-ironed handkerchief.

Cufflinks are controversial. On one hand, they add a lot to a suit, on the other hand, they can come off as a bit effeminate, especially if you're going overly blingy with them.

Needless to say, your suit is either tailored for cufflinks or not for cufflinks. You'll know based on the length of the cuff when wearing your shirt.

My recommendation would be to go for both but to keep it VERY minimal. If you don't use them, it's 100% fine.
>>
>>10729709
I'm not the OP, but I'm interested in what you said about sleeve length and cufflinks. Can you expand on that?

All of my formal shirts are double cuff, and so obviously I wear cufflinks or silk knots with them.

I get the impression that you live in the USA, in which case I think it's important to note, for the OP, that here in England (and throughout most of Europe, I believe) cufflinks aren't seen as feminine and are in fact very common. So it depends on where you're from.
>>
Cufflinks are awesome, not feminine at all. There are so many variations you can pick from that I don't know why there aren't more french cuff shirts out there. They can be a bit fiddly to put on in the morning but you can wear pretty much anything as cufflinks and get away with it because people rarely see them under your jacket sleeves.
>>
I don't understand why cufflinks may be seen as feminine.
>>
>>10730037
I think OP is under the mistaken impression that only women are allowed to wear jewelry and men are not allowed to wear anything except MAYBE a wedding ring.
>>
>>10730037
>>10730042
You replied to OP.
>>
>>10729591
Pocket squares and cuff link are both great suit accessories. However, moderation is key. If you go to loud then you'll look cheap and forced.

For the pocket square make it just that: a square. Depending on your body shape and shoulder width you can either wear it parallel to the pocket, or with the corner pointing up. A simple white square works with nearly everything, but if you want to be a bit more chic then have the color compliment you tie. Don't try to make it exact and match patterns (or go contrary to them, no striped tie and polka dot square). Just pick one color from your tie and get a square in that color.

For cuff links it is better to be conservative. Plain silver or gold will go with most outfits. Just make sure the metal matches your skin tone and suit color. There are so many different styles of cuff links that it is difficult to make a recommendation about what is best, so just follow a few guidelines: pick a complimentary color, don't choose a style that draws attention away from your overall appearance, and less can always be more.
>>
I wouldn't use them
you'll see so many fashion mistakes but guess what nobody gives a shit, you're young and there'll be time when you'll wear that shit, keep it at minimal
>>
I will try to post my final suit for the prompt soon.
>>
>>10729784
I'm not Bateman, but I think that what he's saying is basically that the length of a shirts sleeve can be quite short and the suit manufacturer might have that in mind, and is just waiting to be tailored. And by tailored, I mean taking a bit off the suit sleeve, so you can show off half an inch of your double cuff shirt sleeve.

Also I'm tipsy.
Amirite batman?
>>
>>10730413
Here it goes.. no pocket squares or cufflinks
>>
>>10730471
everything's way too big

>inb4 except your dick
>>
>>10730471
See a tailor
>>
>>10730471
too big but its for prom(pt?) so dont worry about it
>>
>>10730471
hi derrick
>>
>>10729784
See >>10730467

The basic idea is that some - but not all - tailors insist on cutting the sleeves SLIGHTLY shorter on suits made to be worn with french cuffs. That's more or less a reaction to the unnecessarily longer sleeves on most suits, but still.

>>10730471
See >>10730502 and >>10730605
You need to see a tailor ASAP, especially if this is a suit you plan to take to college.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.