[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Saint Laurent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 13
File: Saint-Laurent-FW15-1-1024x576.jpg (162 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Saint-Laurent-FW15-1-1024x576.jpg
162 KB, 1024x576
How to look saint laurent? What should i buy, and where should i go?
>>
you should buy a shield and an axe and go guard some slumbering necromancer
>>
File: 1425817612169.jpg (58 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
1425817612169.jpg
58 KB, 500x380
>What should i buy
>>
>>10695472
depends on your price range kek
>>
>how to look saint laurent
dress like the models on the runway and in the campaign ads. A flannel+suede boots is NOT the epitome of dressing /slp/ despite what every broke internet faggot wears.

>what should I buy
If you need very versatile pieces go with black, but pieces that feature some outrageous pattern or print or other feature is central to the look.

>where should I go
SLP, Sandro, IRO, April77, Zara, and so on. You can find /slp/ pieces almost anywhere, except maybe for footwear.
>>
Go to a death camp.
>>
>>10695472
What should I buy...
hmmmmmm
>Saint Laurent
>>
>>10695472
>How to look saint laurent? What should i buy, and where should i go?
with this mindset you probably shouldn't, SLP is something you have to be able to pull off, if you can't it'll look tryhard and/or cringy.
You need a certain attitude of carelessnes to pull it of, if you lack this you shouldn't waste money on this look, because it is really expensive, even if you go budget.
The next requrement for SLP would be that you are skinny, the skinnier the better, tall and skinny is pretty much essential, but you should at least be able to pull off really skinny jeans without weird bulges or them looking like they are going to rip any second.
Skinny jeans means your legs should be skinny and not weirdly shaped.

If you meet the requirements, first thing you should get is a nice pair of chelseas, the only part where you really shouldn't go cheap, go at least $200+
I'd go advise you to get black chelseas with a minimal style and most importantly, a slim as fuck silhouette.

After you spend all your lunch money on your shoes you should also get a nice coat and/or biker jacket, a black denim jacket might work as well.
Just a heads up, if you're going for the biker jacket you should know that if you want a quality product you'll have to drop about $1000 as well.
Whichever of the three things you go for, remember, less is more.
Go as clean as possible, no useless details, buttons, pockets, washes, stitches, zippers or fake vintage distressed bullshit.
You also want to go really skinny here, you want your clothes to emphasize your skinny stature, so skinny around the arms is a must.

Next thing you'll need are some Jeans, all black, all skinny, rip some holes in some, get a pair of bikers for a change, get some waxed ones, go wild and cop whatever makes you think "rockstar" in the back of your head.

Now for the tops, you want tacky, loud prints that are still classy, probably one of the hardest parts.
(cont.)
>>
>>10695683
(cont.)
Get something that shows a little skin, scoopnecks for example, get a black buttonup, a white tee with black stripes, some geometrical prints, tone it down on the color but make sure it still has a certain edge to it, your tops are basically the only things that show personality in your fits.

Now last but not least, accessoirize, this is important and another great way to get personality in your fits, go for stuff that says casual rockstar basically, wristbands, necklaces and even buttons are okay here.

Brands you should check out if SLP is too expesive for you:
>April77
>Cheap Monday (for jeans mostly)
>All Saints
>Tiger of Sweden
>Asos

Go wild, faggot
>>
>>10695472
>black skinnies
are you faggots really still into this?
>>
>>10695481
Kek underrated
>>
>>10695472
>What should i buy

Saint Laurent

>where should i go?

Paris

That's literally the name.

Check >>10692349 for queries
>>
>>10695481
Lmao
>>
File: pepe.jpg (106 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
106 KB, 1080x1080
>>10695472
My issues with Saint Laurent Paris:
The vision is an incredibly boring, lifeless and distilled rendition of a scene/lifestyle/period of time known for anything but being boring. Rock musicians during the 20th century were often vehicles of tremendous self-expression and character (reflected in both music and dress) and/or a challenge to established societal norms (think: early Rolling Stones' in-your-face sexuality as a confrontation to British societal conservativsm). The Saint Laurent runways/"look" is a super tepid re-enactment/re-imagining of some of the styles worn by musicians then but devoid of edge, flamboyance, self-expression or danger. It slots so neatly into modern society (at least, big-city/European society) - wearing skinny jeans and a leather jacket is about as straightforward as you can get. It challenges nothing and is cut very cleanly and "now".
>>
>>10695472
Buy Saint lauren
>>
>>10695798
Cont.

One reason for this is that the look being worn as a derivative isn't even a new idea - the re-surgance of indie/garage guitar bands in the early 2000s went hand-in-hand with this vague "retro" look updated. Any of the bands starting with "The". Camden town. MTV2. NME. Watch an episode of The Mighty Boosh where Vince tries to reduce his leg mass to squeeze into skinny jeans in order to front The Horrors. We've been there, we've done this and hardly long ago. It wasn't original that time either, it was an intentional throw-back and retro-imitation was a big part of it (both in dress and the sound of the bands). Certainly fashion has certain cyclical trends but it's so hard to get worked up about a brand's entire look being yet another derivative of something that's been done over and over.
This issue of the brand's uninspired/unoriginal mission statement would be fine (and hardly a lone offender in that category) but at least the brand itself makes/shows some interesting (ish) pieces and designs. However, this is scarcely represented by its consumer base who flock in droves to the following items:
black jeans that are smaller than other black jeans
jeans that have holes in them (how novel, how very much not played-out)
chelsea boots/jodphurs
plain black leather jackets
conventional plaid flannel shirts in a slim cut
>>
File: fam newt.jpg (310 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
fam newt.jpg
310 KB, 1280x1280
>>10695801
Cont.

These are all perfectly fine items of clothes but... in no world are they especially novel, exciting or expressive. They're capital-N Nice. They're Good Clothes. They're perfectly okay.
This isn't to take away from the role of luxury basics in people's lives, nor am I saying people "ought" to be wearing anything zany or wild. But these pieces are really just very expensive basics cut slightly tight. If that's what people want and enjoy then great, but it comes across as faintly out of touch/ridiculous when everyone goes on and on about the "rockstar aesthetic", "heroin chic" (yuck), the "SLP look", etc. The clothing is super basic, unchallenging, easily wearable and looks exactly like what everyone wears. It's very (lower-case) establishment. This is especially apparent in the Saint Laurent stores themselves, where the straightforwardness of the clothing is really apparent. It's like flicking through racks in a high street shop except for the price tags and the (pretty rad) mirrors/bright lights on every surface.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (51 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
51 KB, 480x600
>>10695805
Cont.

The outfit described is the height of conformity right now and is practically a costume (in much the same way as being a 2014 faux-lumberjack or 2013 skinny-suit guy). It's vague pretense at being something special feels really weak. Hedi does (has he ever?) anything to challenge this, content to bang out the same looks and same clothes over and over again. He's extremely good at making money, decent (ish) at styling and terrible at creativity. It's especially tragic because of how genius Yves was. Yves Saint Laurent used to be, in its heyday, a brand known for pushing the boundaries of fashion and challenging the way we relate to clothes. It had genuine artistic vision. I can't say the same about Hedi.
>>
do heroin
>>
File: need.jpg (27 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
need.jpg
27 KB, 512x384
>>10695807
Cont.

This is especially apparent in his womenswear shows which are truly awful and clearly an afterthought. He'll sell bags and jeans to them regardless, why bother create interesting new clothes.
An example of what I mean: SS14 Dries Van Noten menswear (i've banged on about this before but I adore this show) draws heavily from the world of Hendrix and pyschedlic rock. We are, as a result, treated to a kaledoscopic vision of pattern, colour, flowing shapes, sharp angles, variety and excess. The outfits have a conversation with us about gender (re-interpreting this world with soft forms/materials, exaggerated patterns/colours and yet styled in a masculine way), demonstrate consistent deft and skill with combining patterns and colour palettes and don't in any way look like a pastiche of Hendrix or that era despite the heavy influence.

By contrast, in a recent show Hedi sent out a slew of white men dressed in various outfits and then one black man with an afro dressed in, basically, a halloween costume of Jimi Hendrix. It was embarassing to see, disgustingly racist and entirely lacking in any creativity. It said nothing. It presented no new ideas. It displayed no tact, no styling chops, no new ideas, no relevance. It was a costume on a man made to look like Hendrix. Completely pointless even within the already bland world of Hedi's Saint Laurent.

His designs are literal, the brand's vision shallow and contrived and the clothes unexceptional in any metric. It's regurgitation of the same ideas over and over, mining the same over-done references and contributing nothing new. Luxury basics for the masses.
>>
>>10695472
FEED THE MODELS S/S SLP 2016
>>
>>10695810
This is very well written and argued, but it isn't going stop me from liking it.
As much as there are things in your comment I can disagree on, there are also a lot I can agree on.
Many of your points regarding the lack of originality in the look are completely true. The fact that runway shows for SLP aren't proof of concept looks, they are the concepts themselves, and demonstrate no exploration nor experimentation, irritates me to no end, and I really wish Hedi would return to some of the originality and creativeness he had while at Dior.
The lack of diversity in models is very slowly becoming less of a problem in the majority of the fashion industry as designers finally have begun to choose more non-white models, but it seems Hedi continues to cling to this notion quite firmly, which is frankly unfortunate.
>>
File: WinCo-Foods-employee-owned.jpg (562 KB, 2550x1404) Image search: [Google]
WinCo-Foods-employee-owned.jpg
562 KB, 2550x1404
>>10695846
Cont.
I wholeheartedly agree with your comment on the lack of representation of the brand's truly interesting designs. I feel SLP is overplayed and boring in one aspect; biker jackets, plaid shirts, black skinny jeans and chelsea boots. It is this narrow view of what SLP can be that contributes to the boringness of most of the looks you see worn by people in everyday life.

Finally, the fact that Saint Laurent is without a doubt a banal regurgitation of looks from eras not long ago is partially the reason I decided to adapt SLP to myself, adding my own personal/individual changes to it to prevent if from being boring for me. I still enjoy the reenacted rock and roll looks Hedi puts out, but I find more and more often that I use them as a basis to build upon to create something more imaginative for myself to wear.

This is really well written and I (surprisingly) enjoyed reading it, despite it being in disagreement with many of my views.

Thanks for writing it.
>>
>>10695536
Kek Underrated
>>
File: 451471888.jpg (172 KB, 395x594) Image search: [Google]
451471888.jpg
172 KB, 395x594
>>10695810
>one black man with an afro dressed in, basically, a halloween costume of Jimi Hendrix

Haha. Laughed so hard, it's so true it's sad (pic related).

Keep in mind: In the world of fashion what survives isn't what is creative or unique, but what sells. Designers that don't sell die off or are forgotten, while "fashion factories" like SLP are literally everywhere - that's called commercialization. And commercialization in something that should actually be art, makes the art-conscious people feel cheated in a way. That is the case in music, painting, sculpting, etc.

Maybe we can counteract commercialization (for ourselves that is), by promoting more underground labels/designers, instead of being mainstream dickriders? I would like that, but I don't know any underground brands.
>>
>>10695996
i for one am glad for ysl, i love the 60's and 70's, and i'm glad i can dress like the periods and figures from the cultures i love, and places like h&m might do a cool garment, but it won't be true to the culture, whereas ysl is as true and as respecting to the culture it mimics
>>
>>10695810
thanks for writing this!
>>
File: talk shit post fit.jpg (832 KB, 1434x1394) Image search: [Google]
talk shit post fit.jpg
832 KB, 1434x1394
>>10695472
Is my TERA online High Elf slp?
>>
/babydicks/ general

jk carry on
>>
>>10695846
>>10695850
>>10695810
>>10695807
>>10695805
>>10695801
>>10695798

Lol, google these posts. Literally lifted from reddit word for word
>>
>>10696406
>he goes on reddit

top kek
>>
File: dadcore party.png (766 KB, 1368x1298) Image search: [Google]
dadcore party.png
766 KB, 1368x1298
>>10695798
>>10695801
>>10695683
Shitposting overload. Took directly from Reddit aka Dadcore central, where everyone dresses like dads.
>>
File: 1445071905040.png (230 KB, 1416x1314) Image search: [Google]
1445071905040.png
230 KB, 1416x1314
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.