[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
movies that are considered /fa/ to enjoy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: slava.jpg (38 KB, 500x348) Image search: [Google]
slava.jpg
38 KB, 500x348
movies that are considered /fa/ to enjoy?
>>
ITT Self-Image insecurity
>>
>>10659405
Asking other people what art to enjoy certainly isn't "/fa/".

If you're a pleb, you'll enjoy pleb movies. If you're educated and have taste, you'll enjoy art films. You won't like something because you force yourself to watch it - since you won't understand it, intellectually and emotionally.

sage
>>
>>10659431
this
>>
>>10659431
My favorite movies are
>Cronenberg's The Brood
>Leigh's Naked
>Borowczyk's La Bete
>Fulci's The Beyond
>Mann's Thief
>Russel's The Devils
>Jires's Valerie & Her Week Of Wonders
>Mizoguchi's Sansho The Bailiff
>Fuest's Abominable Dr. Phibes
>Hopper's Out Of The Blue
Am I pleb or patrician? Never visited /tv/ in my whole life.
>>
>>10659431
Can you recommend some art films to watch?
>>
>>10659528
I have not seen a single of these films, but why would my opinion matter to you? Should you allow someone's opinion to lessen your enjoyment?

>>10659529
Lynch - Mulholland Dr.
Tarkovsky - Stalker
Haneke - La Pianiste
Kurosawa - Rashomon
Eisenstein - Battleship Potemkin

I guess those are considered "entry level".
>>
>>10659528
>Russel's The Devils
Massively underrated, patrician af
>>
>>10659600
>actually using the word patrician
>being that pleb
>>
>>10659624
thanks
>>
>>10659405
DOPE
>>
KEK
>>
>>10659600
I really love Russel. If you haven't seen much of him, he is very similar to Fellini and Greenaway imo. Devils is so underrated because retarded WB is still "ashamed" of producing it. It's still censored and WB doesn't even want to bring blu ray out of it.
I have BFI edition of it and British Film Institute (that is state-funded if I remember correctly) tried to get in touch with WB about uncut release even offering them 100% of cash-return from sales or something like this. I don't understand why WB refused it.
>>
>>10659649
this.
funny asf movie tho :P
>>
>>10659565
What was the point of Rashomon? That meaning "truth" is just a matter of who we prefer to believe? What was the point of the scene with infant? Could you explain that movie to me?
>>
>>10659646
Consider suicide m8 this movie is pure shit
>>
>>10659676
Well, I think the point is that people are crap because they can't stand up to truth and all believe in whatever they want to believe in (everybody tells in story showing him or her in a better light). In the end the monk, who basically lost all hope in humanity hearing all these lies see that there are still nice people out there. They aren't perfect because woodcutter clearly stolen the dagger and lied about it, but they can still do good things to redeem themselves.
That's how I see it.
>>
>>10659405
American Beauty

Enemy

Fight Club

Memento

Spider

Filth

Synecdoche New York

American Psycho

Identity

The Jacket

Zero Theorem

12 Monkeys

Stay

Moon

Jacobs Ladder
>>
>>10659405
what movie is the op from?
>>
>>10659737
>the "tryhard pleb" list
>>
>>10659737
Hypercucckold
>>
The American Friend
The Marriage of Maria Braun
The Grand Illusion

dat classic, timeless "ahead-of-it's-time" aesthetic, specifically
>>
>>10659769
>Fassbinder
>Wenders
>Renoir
Would go to arthouse with.
>>
File: 1436815990855.jpg (913 KB, 3240x1350) Image search: [Google]
1436815990855.jpg
913 KB, 3240x1350
>>10659405
>movies
movies aren't really /fa/, neither are flicks

try delving into film, cinéma and the occasional piece of kinography instead

Miami Vice = cinéma
Ali = film
Public Enemies = movie
Collateral = flick

here are some pointers:

- Plot is for babies; it is a visual medium, to be used as so
- Star Wars is for 5 year olds
- Digital Mann is superior to all other Mann, though Collateral is his most pleb film
- Stanley Kubrick is a slight step above pleb but nowhere near patrician
- Christopher Nolan is pleb tier director; none of his work reaches film status and often time delves into flick tier
- European Cinema is objectively better than other any cinema
- Book adaptations are pleb trash fit for only the unoriginal
- Steven Spielberg is intro to pleb tier; no argument can be made against this
- Animation is for children; kill yourself if you enjoy any of the sort and you are older than 10
- CGI is below pleb tier and is automatic filth
- Dialog is for babbies; it is a visual medium, to be used as so
- Naturalism is best style; everything else is commercial shit that are dated before they even leave the editing room. The first film that will be shown to patrician extraterrestrials will be from the realism school
- Remakes and sequels are cancer; no exceptions

>>10659737
essential fedoracore: the list
>>
>>10659826
>Book adaptations are pleb trash fit for only the unoriginal
Then why almost all of most important movies like Rashomon, Snasho The Bailiff, CLosely Observed Trains, Salo (and most of other Pasolini movies) are adaptations?
>>
>>10659793
muh nigga
>>
>>10659846
Though my favorite Fassbinder is either Bitter Tears or Fox and His Friends.
>>
File: 81PldfEv76L._SX342_.jpg (26 KB, 342x425) Image search: [Google]
81PldfEv76L._SX342_.jpg
26 KB, 342x425
Are Criterion covers /fa/?
>>
>>10659858
fuck, that's a piece of work
>>
File: 469_box_348x490_original-1.jpg (122 KB, 348x490) Image search: [Google]
469_box_348x490_original-1.jpg
122 KB, 348x490
>>10659878
My personal favorite.
>>
>>10659826
>Animation is for children
>it is a visual medium, to be used as so

why cant the visual medium animated?
>>
>>10659904
movie means "moving picture(s). Animation are moving pictures. Animation are movies. The other anon is pseudo-cineaste. No knowledge, but shitting out as much "professional" knowledge as possible. I bet he is one of guy at Letterboxd who delte movies out of their favorites because they either were watched by more than 200 people or getting Criterion release.
>>
>>10659676
>Could you explain that movie to me?

It shows how ultimately even the people bad-mouthing the "bad people" are bad themselves - everyone is "sinful".

The great point I think is the contrast between story and reality - the two great swordsmen fighting over a honorable maiden, contrasted with a dilemma between 2 cowards and an utilitarian woman. It has very many other points - such as the hateful toxic "oh so noble" samurai, etc.

The strict story telling mode - trial and baby scene is also very enjoyable to watch.
>>
holy shit you guys are vapid

so you guys would rather watch a movie that other people think are /fa/, even if you don't like it, so you can appear to be cultuured, in lieu of actually

how about you watch more movies, then decide which ones you like? how about you experiment... find something you like... look for more like it... and really try to understand why you liked them and moreover what you want to see in movies. nothing is more /fa/ than having your own opinions and being able to discuss/defend them at length because you genuinely believe them.

and if youre' trying to make a thread for recs, got to fucking /tv/. this cross-board bullshit is going too fuckign far.
>>
>>10659900
degenerate trash
>>
the apu trilogy
>>
>>10659826
>muh elitist /tv/ "flicks movies cinema kino and film mean different things" meme
max autism
>>
>>10659826
>European Cinema is objectively better than other any cinema

so true
>>
>>10659826
>cinéma

10/10
>>
>>10659431
>art films
>>
apocalypse now is my favorite
>>
Someone spout off Z-rate Adam Sandler films so people will think they're obligated to watch them and spend their lives in eternal conflict
>>
What about Birdman?
>>
>>10659826

>/tv/ in charge of not being retarded
>>
>>10659923
What's wrong with criterion releases? All of kurosawa's stuff got criterion re-released
>>
Her is honestly so perfect. It's very much dadcore put with muted colours which seems to be quite in atm
>>
>>10659737
Jacobs Ladder is pretty good tho
>>
>>10660601
Nothing. Criterion is best thing along with Arrow Video that happened to home video market. They do what studios don't - care about non-profitable yet important movies.
What I meant are these hipsters eho hate Criterion because whatever movie they release actually gets viewers (which is very important thing Criterion does - introduces people to world cinema) so that they can't beling to their elitist "only 10 people saw this" club.
>>
>>10660651
That's what I was looking for, the reasoning why you would think such a psuedo cinephile would hate criterion, even though they have done gods work, figuratively and literally. Thanks for the answer, didn't know they only restored the more niche works of the market.
>>
File: 1199075-step-brothers.jpg (82 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
1199075-step-brothers.jpg
82 KB, 1024x685
if you dont like this movie then you can actually suck my penus
>>
File: chungking express.jpg (43 KB, 403x500) Image search: [Google]
chungking express.jpg
43 KB, 403x500
>Don't laugh at my romance
>In the mood for love
>Chungking Express
>Memories of Murder
>el secreto de sus ojos

shitty question op but here are some foreign language films I recommend.
>>
>"I limit myself to art house films because i found it on a list online"
The most plebest thing I heard
You guys sound like one of those art school slobs who are so far up their own asses
>>
>Came here to see lists with movies of high aesthetic value (Wes Anderson, P.T Anderson, Black Mass, The Conformist, Manhunter, Jarmusch, Roy Andersson, Tarantino, Kubrick, Etc.
>See a bunch of fuckers wanking over art house

t-thanks for the lists guys!
>>
Breathless (1968)
>>
>>10661841
>tarantino

hey reddit
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.