[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a guy who just finished his first term of fashion school anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4
File: hart_leshkina 002.jpg (98 KB, 750x937) Image search: [Google]
hart_leshkina 002.jpg
98 KB, 750x937
Ask a guy who just finished his first term of fashion school anything
>>
you wanna suck my dick?
>>
What's it like going to have a unless degree?
>>
> fashion school
>>
>>10658925

An education in fashion design is about developing technical skill and fostering creativity. The industry puts far more importance on how good your work is rather than credentials. Of course, if you go to school for it you're more likely to be able to put out better stuff
>>
>>10658917
how do I hide a little belly bulge?

Also, what is the recommended font for prints?
>>
>>10658917
Why do most "high fashion" clothes look like absolute shit?
>>
>>10658953

Lose weight
Recommended for what purpose? This isn't graphic design school
>>
>>10658957

Because you lack the frame of reference to understand / see its appeal.

"Not liking" something within fashion oftentimes has much more to do with your taste being shit than the work itself being mediocre. Of course, case by case analysis... but seeing as you're posting on 4chan's 'fashion' board about how 'high fashion sucks' just tells me that you're just not very well versed in this field
>>
>>10658917
what skills did you learn?
also, what are the recommended fashion schools around the world?
>>
What school did you go to? I'm very stuck on where I want to go.
>>
>>10658959
>lose weight

Thank you very much wise wizard of /fa/
>>
ANTWERP
N
T
W
E
R
P
>>
are you enjoying completely wasting your time? even if you go to saint martins or antwerp, they don't teach you shit technically that you can't learn in tailoring and factory production classes for a tenth of the price

art school is so shit
>>
How long do you think you'll make it until you inevitably kill yourself for making such a poor life decision?
>>
>>10658970

In term 1 I had 7 classes, a mix of technical / theoretical classes, some of which I was already very well versed in and some that were completely new / a challenge for me.

Got through basic block construction (from scratch) of a basic womens bodice + sleeve, skirt, trousers, fitted kimono bodice, tailored bodice + sleeve, bias bodice + sleeve, bias skirt, bias trousers, 2 piece sleeve
Sewing techniques - a shitton of hem finishes / handstitches, various seam finishings, zippers, a few pockets, idk too many to list in this class
Illustration / design - did a shitton of drawing
fabric & textiles - learned a shitton about fabric construction etc

Other classes were intro to fashion, computer bullshit, costume history in which i didn't learn much if at all... but the first 4 classes i mentioned have been fucking intense

again, recommended for what? it all comes down to the person and what they are looking for / what they want to do in the industry.

if you're asking about the 'best', BoF put out an analysis / ranking recently that dissects some of the world's best fashion programs. CSM, Royal Academy of Fine Arts, FIT etc.
>>
>>10658993
>antwerpen
>expensive

get a job.
>>
>>10658967
Obviously I'm not very well versed in high fashion stuff.

My problem with high fashion is that from a consumer stand point, who isn't really interested in getting a lot of attention and catching eyes when going outside most of the "high fashion" outfits just seem too over the top.

I obviously can't judge the quality of such outfits but I'd reckon that most of the stuff created in "high fashion" boundaries are at least above "mediocre"
>>
>>10658982

I'm going to a local community college for a 2 year program, nothing too special. I think alot of people are automatically drawn to the big names - the glitz and glamour and dream of studying among the environment that produced the Antwerp 6 and all these big names... I for sure was like that.

Really, focus more on what exactly the program is going to offer you, which will suit you the best, etc.

I always wanted to go to Antwerp and am still considering it upon graduation from this program, but I'm so fucking glad I didn't apply bc 1. I wouldn't have made it in and 2. Even if I did, I wouldn't have made it through the first year (that is why you see there being like 50 students in year 1 at antwerp down to like 25 the next year) because I had really shit work ethic all throughout my life and I'm only now learning to be disciplined at my program right now

>>10658986

User who used to post here is there right now and I've seen some of his work, definitely not what I expected based on how he used to dress way back when he posted but I guess the environment does really shape your creative process

>>10658993

blah blah what a lazy 'critique' / bandwagon to jump on. if you were doing so well on your own you wouldn't be so salty about what other people were doing. put up or shut up
>>
>>10659018

You kind of answered your own question

>problem with high fashion is that im not interested in getting alot of attention etc

You are not the high fashion consumer. You are not those brands' target market. Again, you just don't have a wide enough frame of reference or might be coming from a smaller city or w/e... You do realize that in bigger cities, alot of people actually buy and wear these things, and the standard for what is considered 'average' / 'eye catching' are completely different?

There is also a shitton of high fashion that doesn't look 'over the top' to outsiders, it's just that, again, these outsiders who are not a part of fashion are only seeing bits and pieces of what they believe to be the entirety of the 'fashun induztry' which also results in fatass sjws and moms on facebook whining about THE EVIL FASHION INDUSTYRY ANOREXIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >LACK OF POWERFUL REAL BLAK WOMUNZ IN MUH CULTURAL APPROPRIATION EVIL WHITEY FASHIOn

It's all backwards, really. Again, it comes down to the individual lacking awareness, not the fashion industry
>>
>>10659028
>now learning to be disciplined at my program right now

A good school is very important, and I don't mean just the name, but a hard school that teaches you a lot of stuff. I know a girl that goes to Antwerp, and she says she barely sleeps.

I wish you the best of luck with your work ethic, so that you might enroll in a hard school one day - if fashion is truly your passion. Don't rush it, better take 2-3 years more, but have greatness for the rest of the life.
>>
>>10658925
You know that STEM degree your pursuing is going to be worthless when you graduate, right?
>>
>>10659486

Yeah my program is a pretty standard curriculum, no crazy push from instructors for creativity etc. It's just the basics, but it's already pretty intense for me because

1. I procrastinated way too much and ended up with weeks worth of work to catch up on and
2. I feel like the more you know, the more work you will end up doing because your standards are alot higher and you want to push yourself to explore ideas and concepts and techniques thoroughly whereas my other classmates just do the basics because that's all they know

Yeah I'm 20 now and didn't go into fashion right away after highschool because I knew I was nowhere near good enough. I have a friend in CSM womenswear now and even though I feel at the peak of my creative state these days, it's like shit, I can't see myself competing at such a high level when I see these crazy people coming out of CSM Antwerp etc.. Just gotta grind harder I guess thanks for the words
>>
>>10659028
Holy shit, if there is a way you could share some of User's work that would be excellent. I always wondered what happened to that guy, one of the best trips to ever post here.
>>
>>10658917
Are you heterosexual?
>>
>>10658959
Something tells me you didn't do too well
>>
>>10659541

Sorry, I'm not sure it'd be alright for me to just post his stuff here. I've seen how toxic /fa/ can be

>>10659588

Yes

>>10659603

Learn to read
>>
>>10658917
One soda and two fries. And maybe... Oh ok, one burger.
>>
File: end068175.comp_.014807.1011.jpg (94 KB, 1000x425) Image search: [Google]
end068175.comp_.014807.1011.jpg
94 KB, 1000x425
>>10658917
>>
>>10658933
yup, that's what people call it. you know, like art school. It's a thing, and you just showed how culturally ignorant you are hahaah. how's being an accountant?
>>
>>10659867
There is my soda, dildo?
>>
>>10658917
What do other male students and professors usually wear?
>>
>>10659888

My program is tiny and I'm not exactly in the most fashion forward city.

None of my classmates dress in a noteworthy way, but I absolutely love 2 of my female instructors' style. As far as fashion students worldwide go, I find that people mostly dress quite simple, sometimes to a point where you couldn't even tell they are fashion students or whatever.

Personally I have found that ever since I started my program I care alot less about how I dress, 1 because school is intense and on many days you prefer comfortable stuff and 2. my work / creativity started to define myself more prominently than what i wore, i think this is why alot of designers dress super understated like raf or pheobe philo, yes they are older and have to present themselves professionally but i think that as you develop as a designer you don't feel like you have to speak through the way you dress b/c your work speaks for itself / more about you

im typing without editing so excuse the long windedness
>>
File: 1414125829041.jpg (165 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1414125829041.jpg
165 KB, 1024x1024
How many people like this did you see on campus?
>>
>>10660201

>>
do you have your meme certificate yet
>>
OP, do you have access to Vogue archives online?
>>
File: 1355863994175.gif (2 MB, 272x204) Image search: [Google]
1355863994175.gif
2 MB, 272x204
>>10658917
Do you mind if we make love?

I'm a boy, a really qt boy don't worry, even if you are straight you wouldn't notice much.
>>
>>10660319

Unfortunately not, my school isn't that great :(
We do get the standard WGSN / WWD subscription though. I've considered splitting the cost of Vogue Archives with some classmates but I doubt any of them would be interested
>>
>>10658917
What type of classes do you take in "fashion school"? Any science, maths, history?
>>
>>10659028
>local community college
opinion discarded
finished last quarter at fidm for production
that's all they're really good at
design and merchandising majors are all garbage
but you're right
fashion programs definitely teach you discipline
>>
>>10660369
not op but at fidm there were basic math classes that don't even mean shit to regular uni's if you're trying to transfer out after
i passed ap calc in hs so i avoided them
there are art history classes as well as a general post ww2 history class
the only science classes are textile classes
>>
>>10660406

Huh, wasn't aware that fidm had a production degree. Yeah I've seen some of the design grad shows and I was like what the actual fuck is this a joke?
I'd probably have taken a production type of degree if it were available to me. I'm learning alot but there is also so much in my program that is worthless garbage / common sense

And yeah merchandising programs are a joke for the most part, anyone can do it, overrun by qt basics

>>10660369

at the bigger schools you gotta take some maths and art history etc but my program doesnt have any thank god
>>
I want to suck your tip so bad OP.
>>
>>10659503
you're an idiot
>>
Would do the study myself, but it's a lot better than any economic-related study or not studying at all.
What books are you using for classes?
>>
>>10660565
if you can work and do fashion school at the same time fashion school will be a lot better than studying economy.

trust me I'm going for accounting, you are going to have fun in fashion school but yeah it's a subject where there isn't a lot of money, so work in the mean time, ideally in a clothing store.
>>
>>10660585
>going for money

do what you love senpai
I still want to know what books you use for "fashion school"
>>
>>10658917
is all black cruise control for cool?
>>
>>10660607

That wasn't me

So far we've used various textbooks, some pretty useless that we were told to buy and didnt even end up using (kek)

The industry standard textbook for patternmaking are Patternmaking for Fashion Design by Helen Joseph Armstrong, but this book is pretty useless unless you have basic understanding of pattern drafting, or so i've been told (haven't had to use this book yet)

The rest I think are pretty interchangeable ex. illustration / costume history, for sewing we use Professional Sewing Techniques by Julie Christine Cole which I just found a pdf of online

Only go to fashion school if you're 110% set on it and can afford to make it your life / is already your life, otherwise you won't survive

depends on what you're looking for though, there is a weab cgl tier girl in my class who is like 24 and homeschooled, only taking the program cuz she wants to make better cosplay or something

so..
>>
>>10660645
Alright thanks. I'm not going to waste my time on going to fashion classes, but reading can never hurt.
>>
>>10660616

all black is only interesting if you are doing something with the silhouette / texture that is much more effective when it's all black

if you're wearing all black and you're in regular fitted shit head to toe it just makes no sense, color is way cooler 90% of the time honestly

a trend is always cool until it gets watered down and reduced to a checklist of visual elements by people who miss the entire point of what it was founded upon.

this reminds me of a little writeup i rushed in 30 minutes before class a couple weeks ago hold on ill post it here and someone can tell me if im right or missing it
>>
>>10660668

This was a 30 minute 'brain dump' of notes for myself that i rushed during lunch break before a 'trend' presentation I had to give on class, basically about what i think is going on right now in (a part of) fashion

>There is often an overlap between the most fashionable and least fashionable

>Has often been about taking what is considered passé / embarrassing and demonstrating your ability to repurpose it appropriately for the current context. Look at some old people out on the streets vs. ‘hip’ kids out on the street, you will notice similarities

>Mid – late 2012 – early 2013 the first wave of the street style / photography phenomenon was peaking due to peacocking and dressing for attention, the loud clothes representative of this movement came to be seen as unappealing / undesirable

>During this time a parallel movement towards minimalism fueled by / in combination of the rise of black / white, activewear etc. came together to produce a general trend of ‘minimalism’ both in fashion, art, lifestyle etc. Fashion became ‘unfashionable’, and normcore and its associations were projecting the message that they can still demonstrate awareness without overtly participating in the *culture* of fashion, that their ‘cool’ is one that is self aware, never too serious, ‘easy going’

>This ‘self awareness’ as cultural capital became a meme of its own where a solid identity / visual image was formed out of it and as a result, the actual self awareness was lost to a checklist of visual elements, it now became ‘self aware’ to understand that ‘normcore’ et al was not cool anymore

1/2
>>
>>10660681

>Going back to the idea of overlap – it is still ‘uncool’ in the mainstream to dress loud and outlandish or in any way show that you are “into fashion” because it is associated with the (victims of) first wave of the street style phenomenon which received wide criticism. But the true fashion forward today are returning to that element of loudness and elaborate design, 1 because they’re probably really tired of ‘minimalism’ which has also become a joke of itself, and reduced to "A LACK OF" when true minimalism is carefully considered and designed and 2. Want to show, again, their ability to repurpose the ‘unfashionable’ , but better this time with a higher degree of awareness, eliminating what worked, adding / translating into the context of what is current, etc.

>Amongst the culturally aware and envelope pushers, the façade of ‘not caring’ / ‘ironic’ / positioning yourself as someone who ‘gets the joke’ has become uncool, now it is cool to be actually GOOD at something, to take things seriously (post irony, new sincerity) and to fully own up to / commit to fashion and / or whatever other pursuits. That is what is ‘punk’ in the current context, and the punk spirit has ALWAYS been ‘cool’. Again it became uncool when the spirit was adopted by lots and muddled / diluted and reduced to a checklist of visual elements.

>All of this + rise of LGBT culture, tumblr leaking into mainstream media especially Instagram and its stars who have become today’s rising stars =

>General aesthetic : Vetements, J.W. Anderson, Loewe, Raf Simons SS16, Fashion East (esp. SS16 w/ Charles Jeffrey & Grace Wales Bonner) New gen London designers (Simone Rocha, Roksanda, Sibling, etc. Nordstrom's SPACE contemporary platform)

2/2

inb4 >autism SO WHAT IF I AM
>>
>>10660699

autism
>>
>>10658917
why
>>
>>10659018

>"high fashion" outfits just seem too over the top

that's why you don't sell a Monet to a bricklayer, you absolute plebeian scum
>>
>>10660699

post sketches/drawings pls
>>
>>10659871
lol alright then. not sure what you're getting at, other than possibly that you think the question at the end of my post is irrelevant. it isn't :)) you probably still have a boring job / study a boring degree.
>>
>>10658967
(If you're OP) Get off the fucking pony, kid. You just finished your first term at college. Make an AMA once you get your degree or have substantial work in the industry.
>>
>>10660766

Yes that was me. I'd like to see you refute that point. Me being in first term doesn't have anything to do with it, and I made this thread bc I was bored / made alot of realizations in this first term, not because I'd claimed to have made a substantial accomplishment

You just didn't like the way I came off, but the point still stands
>>
>>10660201
where did you find this rare image of j-suga?
>>
>>10660426
yo which fidm did you go to? im planning on attending the LA location once i finish my business degree at loyola marymount
>>
>>10660472
well it was listed as apparel industry management but they've been phasing into naming it production management
the program is perfect for becoming a technical designer
sewing classes, lots of classes on tech packs and cost sheets and the sort

>>10661006
yeah i went to the LA one
what career would you be pursuing?
you said business degree so i think the apparel industry(production) management would be good
if you would like to be surrounded by factories, the LA is good
if you see your future as corporate, go to SF, or better yet either parsons or fit

the only frustrating part about fidm is how weak their career center is
the library (in LA) has what they claim to be the largest fashion library in LA
the vogue archive is crazy but no one uses them
>>
What is it like being surrounded by a bunch of rich foreign students with about as little interest in fashion as they have talent? This was my experience with summer courses
>>
>>10661114
it is annoying
but i'm an asshole and always laugh when the professors make the fobs speak in class and their english is terrible
>>
>>10661114
>>10661127

Exactly this, I have it the same
>>
>>10661070
>what career would you be pursuing?
most definitely a design major. im getting a marketing degree as a sort of fallback but a career in design is what im shooting for
>>
>>10659503
lol
>>
>>10661284
don't go to fidm, move to new york or europe
fidm is not good for design
>>
>>10661288
huh ok good to know. how do you like fidm otherwise? do you have an apartment near there?
>>
>>10658917
How did everyone dress for class? I would imagine that they would all put so much stress into it and end up looking like try hards.
>>
>>10662924
see
>>10659966
>>
little lad finishes year 1 and expects people to have questions he can answer for them LOL
>>
>>10658938
if you honestly think that then you must be pretty diluted

the industry is just about connections and money. design houses could give a fuck about some 25 yearold dickweed that graduated from some pompous "fashion" school.
>>
>>10662924
i went to csm, everyone just wears comfortbale drapey stuff with designer shoes, some gay guys dress like hediboys but thats pretty much it
>>
Are you used to the after taste every morning of sucking dicks or are you still getting used to it?
>>
>>10660351
What school you on?
>>
>fashion school

Boy I'm in second grade and every time someone here mentions fashion school I get very nervous. How awkward would it be to meet one of them guys from uni.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.