[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yoga and meditating effay?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
My goal is to reduce stress in daily life and to have a balanced mind. I thought meditating and yoga would be a good start.
What do you think?
>>
File: 1413855062043.jpg (88 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1413855062043.jpg
88 KB, 600x600
You already know.
>>
>>10609793
Yeah man, definitely try it. It may not work for you, but it's worth a try. I'm glad I got here before the nay sayers.
>>
Yoga have been pretty good to me. It might not be for you, but give it a go.
>>
>>10609878
>>10609962
Do you know good guides on how to start?
Btw do you know other stuff to prevent or deal with stress?
>>
>>10610013
If you're not up for going to a class in your local leisure centre or whatever your equivalent is, honestly just search for a beginners guide to yoga online. Everything you need is there.

(If you're concerned with the spiritual aspect of meditation, look up Spirit Science on YouTube)

You should try yoga and meditation before looking for other techniques. If you focus too much on other techniques, you may not apply yourself enough to the first ones you try.

Always focus on your breathing. It's a cliché, and I wish it wasn't, but it works.

TL;DR
Go to a class
Google it
Breathe
>>
mindfullness meditation is very effay
>>
File: 2565651164_70810fa8cf_z.jpg (111 KB, 493x640) Image search: [Google]
2565651164_70810fa8cf_z.jpg
111 KB, 493x640
Did a whole-day silent meditation retreat yesterday.

Does it help? For attention, depression, anxiety, yes somewhat.

I'm a medical student and every major hospital system is jumping on the bandvagen offering meditation classes to their doctors, patients, VA is offering it for veterans, etc.

It's super trendy amongst the yuppie crowd these days (doctors, lawyers, busy-in-ass-men, etc.). For this reason, real Indian ppl whose culture meditation comes from get pissed cuz it's a capitalist appropriation of their culture for ultimately, productivity, to help rich CEOs be better rich assholes who make more money and enslave more poor brown children in their H&M clothes factoires, et kaytera.
>>
>>10609793
Im a Buddhist, so my leanings and learnings are obviously biased to one type of intent.

But i can reccomend 'The Art of Sitting' by John Daido Loori. Its a collection of thoughts on shikantanza.

I also have been doing tai chi since i was about 10 under the tutelage of an elderly chinese guy who instructed me in the five foundations of it which includes neigong and qigong in addition to the three physical practices
>>
>>10610325
yeah I fucked a lot with Buddhism, yoga , meditation, trying to be detached in my youth but now I feel suspicious of Western culture's interpretations of all that stuff
>>
>>10610195
Retardation is not /fa/.
>>
>>10610454
What's it like doing Tai Chi? It's something that interests me but I'm afraid to do it because I don't want to be *that* white guy.
>>
>>10609793
Isn't that not allowed on Skydeck?
>>
this is not really /fa/ related, but you already know what to do I see
>>
>>10610659
I think you can still gain from reading the actual texts. Even in the east it's appropriated with easterners trying to make a buck off rich westerners who want the genuine experience.
>>10610828
I did it for a short while. I enjoyed it, since I took kung fu as a kid it felt mostly natural but with more focus on feeling your body than anything else. It was almost all white people. You should try it, it's very enjoyable.
>>
>>10609793
meditation will help you a lot
meditation is just breathing.
just take a seat in a confortable pose and breath, do deep breaths., if you get distracted start again. its not about how many you can count, its about getting focused on the breath. just do 10 minutes everyday.

also if you want to reduce stress a good way is to sleep 100% naked, your body will relax a lot. better than sleeping with a pajama or a shirt or underwear.
>>
>>10612031
Thanks for the tip with the sleeping, did not know that
>>
Yoga and meditation can be good things, but I would recommend thinking about what is causing the stress in your life and focusing on removing that instead. Create a lifestyle where you don't need stress relief and if you still want to do yoga and meditation then go for it.
>>
Tbh mate I don't think it's something you should care about whether it's effay or not. If you enjoy it, do it.
>>
>>10612031

one giant mind is an excellent app if you want to get started with meditation.

it has 12 initial steps with some mentoring and then a 30 day ~challenge~ so that it becomes part of your daily routine.

it's free and, if you can get past the mentor's dickhead voice, it is very helpful
>>
>>10613079

This was meant to be directed at OP and whoever else is interested
>>
>>10611963
Cool man, maybe I will try it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.