[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do i properly thrift?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fa/ - Fashion

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
How do i properly thrift?
>>
>>10493814
Someone suggested I go to the goodwill on the upper east side (I live in Manhattan) and I'm really excited to try it. So maybe go to the richer areas of where you live I guess and try looking at thrift stores there
>>
>>10493814
Just keep on looking.
>>
>>10493814
Just look through everything and you'll be surprised every once in a while. If you can sew you have a lot more options. I usually look for stuff that fits waist and shoulders, then choose based on fabric.
>>
Is thrifting even worth it if you live in an unfashionable middle class suburb?
>>
>tfw only one goodwill in my area
>>
>>10493946
yes, I've been to the goodwills in my area (Midwestern middle to upper middle class suburbs) and I've found some good stuff
>>
>>10493814
>How do i properly thrift?
go all the fucking time. you're much more likely to find something if you stop in like.. twice a week. or once a week. basically don't expect to walk into the thrift store once every three months and walk out with a bunch of great shit. it takes vigilance. go to multiple stores, also. after awhile you'll get an idea of which thrift has the best selection/prices

also, know what to look for. lots of people shit themselves when they see a designer they recognize before taking the time to assess whether it's a diffusion line or even whether it's a worthwhile garment in the first place. pay close attention to fabrics, be on the lookout for nice old fleece.. a shit ton of old sweatshirts are good quality made in the USA shit.

learning to sew/alter clothes would help a lot. you could literally pick up any pair of pants reasonably close to your size and tailor them into something awesome. at that point, the thrift store is basically a vintage textile rack, and your options are limitless. i'm working on learning to sew right now myself.

>>10493841
everyone says this shit but i've personally never found a correlation between "expensive area" and "good thrift." does anyone know any goodwill/salvation army employees? i think the items go to a central area for sorting but i could be wrong

>>10493946
where you live has nothing to do with it. if you can find items you like, it's worth it. it sounds like your question would be better phrased as "is it worth trying to dress effay in....."
>>
>>10494004
I meant to ask if its possible to find good stuff when my area is just really basic
.>>10493993
Chicago suburbs?
>>
File: 1444050857932.jpg (14 KB, 403x195) Image search: [Google]
1444050857932.jpg
14 KB, 403x195
>tfw found nothing for the past two months at all my thrifts
>>
>>10494625
I'm guessing right after the holidays is a great time to thrift
people throwing out old clothes to make room for gifts
or throwing out gifts to make room for old clothes
>>
>>10494625
>>10494628
If your stores have sales, always check in the days after they've ended the sale. They restock then and almost always put their best stuff out first.
>>
What don't you buy from thrifts

I personally don't buy socks and underwear is there anything else I shouldn't buy?
>>
>>10493993
>>10493946

Suburbanlets, when will they learn?
>>
>>10494274
You wanna hang out? Are you a grill?
>>
>>10494625
>tfw found light grey wool trousers made in my home country by hand by company that stopped making clothes 25 years ago in unused condition with tags still on
>2 euros
Fucking shame the pants have pleats, could have probably worn them casually around otherwise. And the shade of grey could be darker honestly, but can't really complain because the price was so ridiculous.
Also gotta get them tailored, need that taper.
>>
>>10493814
thought she was in front of berghain for a second lol
>>
>>>thrift general
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.