[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Harbor Freight thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 25
File: image.png (453 KB, 970x1718) Image search: [Google]
image.png
453 KB, 970x1718
Look, I don't give a shit if you won't buy anything that isn't branded "Snap-On" or "Festool" but one cannot deny there are some real gems lurking among the aisles at Harbor Freight for stupid cheap.

What are some things you've picked up from /diy/'s favorite store that represent solid performance/value?

I will start.
Their 8-piece HSS Windsor Design lathe tools are literally rebadged (highly regarded) PSI woodturning tool starting kit. Thought it's the same price as Amazon, you can combine it the 20% off coupon.

18ga Brad nailer. Very reliable nail gun, paid $16 for it with a 20% off coupon.

"Earthquake" air tools. Best I've ever used (though I haven't used much).

Avoid:
Any harbor freight vise. They are all made with paper thin castings.

Their 100+ set of screwdriver bits. Last time I used them they literally broke one after another with every turn of the handle. It was horrifying.

Discuss!
>>
>>999493

3/8" Spot Weld Drill - works great, did at least 40 spot welds on a toyota, still sharp (only one side used too )

Carbide Drill Assortment - resharpened pcb bits, work great as long as you get the sizes you need.
>>
File: harborfrieght.jpg (632 KB, 786x1024) Image search: [Google]
harborfrieght.jpg
632 KB, 786x1024
>>999493
>>
HF airless paint sprayer: worked perfectly, everything was serviable, painted my whole house in like 3 hrs. 260$ bux?
Electric pole saw: works perfectly.80$ Don't even need my gas chainsaw anymore.
Most of their quick grip style and assorted clamps work just fine as well.
50$ dado stack
2$ 100 security bit set
Also, their chisels and other misc. woodworking tools are cheap as fuck and you can't go wrong.
>>
File: post-ratchets.jpg (15 KB, 600x235) Image search: [Google]
post-ratchets.jpg
15 KB, 600x235
>>999493
Their low end composite ratchets are the best deal in the entire store.
You can get the whole set 1/4,3/8,and 1/2 for about 25$ if you use the coupons

Made in Taiwan, 72 tooth.

All of their "pro" ratchets are functionally identical. The newer red and black ones are longer and straight instead of having a bent handle. They cost a little bit more

The chrome ratchets cost double, because they are chromed instead of hiding unplated steel with plastic.
The extendable ratchet and flex head ratchet have long been regarded as a great buy there. Now they just put that ratchet mechanism into a cheaper body, they put plastic on the outside of the steel tool instead of paying a lot to plate it in chrome.

Their impact sockets are amazing too. The have two tiers, the very cheap chinese ones made of CR-V which are shit. Then they have the more expensive taiwanese made Cro-Mo sockets.
They are fucking amazing sockets, albeit a little thicker than more expensive Cro-Mo brands

Most brands in the same price range use the vastly inferior CR-V, and the cheapest Cro-Mo are double the price of the Harbor Freight ones.

And then their bar clamps are a really really good deal, when on sale with coupons. They work way better than cheap clamps should. Highly recommended.

These three things are anomalies in the store.
They are impressive because you cannot go to another store and get the same quality for the same price.

A lot of stuff there is ok quality, but I can go to another hardware store and buy another brand for the same price and get the exact same quality of tool.
They arent the ultra dirt cheap store they used to be.

Also I have had bad experiences with their welding helmet, their drill press, their grinders, their reciprocating saws, their belt sander.

In the case of all those, I returned or threw them away and I could go to another store and spend just a marginal amount more money and get a vastly better product. Their real deals are few and far between
>>
Matco=Harbor Freight on wheels. That's all I'm gonna say.
>>
>>999493
I got their 17-piece hole saw set for like $10 on sale. None of them are round or straight, but they work!
>>
>>999493
HF is okay on like rivets and bolt assortments and shit I guess. Kinda pisses me off that I can go to ace and get belt sander belts then I can from chinafreight.
>>
File: brush.jpg (91 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
brush.jpg
91 KB, 1200x1200
:3
>>
Their $30 sawzall is surprisingly good. I've been beating on the one I got 5 years ago and it still works great.
>>
Anyone had a chance to check out their mini mill? I kind of want one for a hand full of projects I have in mind, and I've read some positive things about it around the webs, but they seemed to be from people who had more or less just barely bought it and set it up.
>>
Also post if your items are "pass" or "fail"
>>
I bought a square there. It appears to still be square and measurements matched my tape measures.

I also bought 2 dollies in some parking lot sale. Used them to cart a few hundred pounds around without a single issue.

Bought a 3 pack of vice grips. The chrome coating flags off and the metal in the teeth are softer that I had hoped. The tiniest one is stick closed. Haven't tried fixing it using the other 2 grips yet. Not recommended. Stanley is a better brand vice grip than these were.
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 353x328) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 353x328
>>999527
YES. Those composite ratchets are the shiz-nit, really great.

Also, their step bits. As long as your aren't doing heavy duty stuff they'll do thin gauge steel all day. A great value compared to what at Irwin step bit costs and how long they last. For drilling enclosure, control panels and j boxes I love em.
>>
>>999527
And yes, their sockets are what Asian sockets should cost. Why pay more for Asian sockets at the big box stores?
>>
About 7 years ago I bought their knockoff beverly shear. It's still serving me well.
>>
basic stuff like their flashlights come in handy in a closet or a trunk and they do the job just fine. I like the little shit they have. their Drillmaster dremel is nice. the bits are hit n miss but they do the job. Anything free is always good. Ive had a crowbar thats still got a goin on. handsaw is ok.

Their wood screws suck mad dick even with small DIY projects. I used their box of assorted wood screws for a simple pallet wood patio table and they're made outta tin or something, very weak.
>>
>>999851
same although the body and turning handle feels a little cheap but its a strong saw
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 640x640
I love these silly things.
>>
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 1200x1200
Also these screw drivers are the best in the store and honestly better than Craftsmeme
>>
>>999871
Yep. I had a set of those for years until they were recently stolen.
>>
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 750x563
On the other hand fuck their quick grips. I've broken several of them.
>>
>>1000100
Well go buy a new set! They're cheap!
>>
I got a 4" angle grinder there in 02. It's been drowned twice and I had to fix the cord once. Still kicking ass. Toe kick saw for $70. Literally the only one I could obtain on short notice. The hex shank quick release drill bit set is exactly the same as the DeWalt one that costs 4x as much. Wife got me a Fien Multimaster about 8 years ago and the blades are outrageously expensive. HF has blades about 1/7 the cost. Too much good stuff to list. My brother in law and I used to stop there every Friday on our way home from work to buy new toys.
>>
>>1000102
I never broke any of these. but they score the rail whereever they're used. which means they will stick and are fucky to use anymore than a few times.
>>
>>1000102
I have a few of their quick grips, and I have never broken any of them.

The reason being, they are so shit and dont clamp very well at all. I havent been able to use them enough to break them.

I have a big selection of their vastly superior bar clamps.
>>
Good:
>This little bastard, cost like $5 and has 2-sized sockets that go from 1/4 to 11/16" and metric 8mm to 17mm. Not too strong, cumbersome to work with, but is great to keep in my desk drawer to prevent 99% of trips I'd otherwise need to the actual toolbox
>$2 screwdriver they had, the shaft can be flipped around and the bits can as well, so in 1 package with no extra pieces it's got 2 sizes of phillip's bits and 2 sizes of flathead bits. Best damn $2 screwdriver I ever bought
>Some dremel tools, namely grinding/polishing/brush wheels
>TiN drill bits have proven to actually be incredibly good value for the money, as long as you can sharpen them with a drill doctor/grinder. They dull quicker than nicer bits, but can handle a lot of abuse before breaking and are damn good for the money. With sharpening a few times, I was able to make 3 dozen 3/8" holes through 1/8" 4140 steel. Their smaller bits aren't too great though, as they like to bend if they walk
>Those plastic ammo boxes they have. Bought one when they were on sale for $5, brought it home and discovered that they can perfectly fit either 6 standard size AK mags or 8 standard size AR mags per can. Went back and bought a dozen, so my pile of magazines turned into a tower of cans with some extras. Bonus points: They're actually pretty damn stout when closed, latch is pretty secure, has a slot for a cable lock, and they're airtight.

Not so good:
>Long drive punches. They would have been terrible if not for the fact that when I needed them I actually needed a bit softer punch because I had a drill bit stuck in a hole so bad that good punches were throwing shrapnel when I tried to hit it out. The HF punches were soft enough that they deformed instead of breaking
>The more serious dremel tools (namely diamond bits). You get what you pay for with those.

Strongly considering their mini lathe, as the one at my work is really busted, and apparently as far as mini lathes go the HF is damn good.
>>
I used a free coupon and got the multimeter there for free.

I have a few other cheap multimeters, I tested them against each other and they all were pretty close for everything I checked.
Probably more than accurate enough for most /diy/ers.
>>
>>1000094
Keep them from dissappearing at work
>>
>>1000148
I have a hrsbor freightish lathe. I think I got if from northern though. It's a cummins one. If yiu buy one, soend the xtra miney and get one without change gears. My change gears are plastic and that worries me. Idk if the newer ones that let you shift between gears are plastic or not, but take off or look under the cover on the end so you you'll know. If it has a b c d charts and pictures with accompanying levers all over it, you're good to go. Plastic gears aren't a deal breaker, but i imagine their longevity is reduced.
>>
>>1000167
I apologize for all those spelling errors. Jesus christ.
>>
I got a 6.5 HP 212cc engine for $119 and it's been a great upgrade to my old minibike. Things fast as fuck and has ran well for 2 years so far
>>
>>1000102
i like those because they're free sometimes

i've got like 10 multimeters
and a bunch of screwdrivers

most useful though are the free tape measures
>>
The itty bitty tiny table saw is, to nobody's surprise, a total piece of shit. I bought one to cut pieces of 1/4 craft hardwood. It couldn't handle ripping more than 4 inches of maple 1/4 without seriously bogging down or stalling. Second time I turned it on, it was dead. Apparently the switches blow out on these little turds. Kept it for the cast iron little table.
The belt benchtop 3ft belt sander/disk sander has been great though. It's taken a legit beating and keeps on turning.
>>
>>1000359
Ive bought 5 different ones there. I bought two back when they were blue and were 1:1 clones of the hondas.
Predators are slightly different internally now, IIRC they are slightly more powerful than other 1:1 clones out there.

They are really great engines though, especially if you can convince the cashier to use a 20% coupon on it.
>>
File: 1457927226928.jpg (743 KB, 785x1024) Image search: [Google]
1457927226928.jpg
743 KB, 785x1024
>>
File: 1457927074674.jpg (699 KB, 781x1024) Image search: [Google]
1457927074674.jpg
699 KB, 781x1024
>>
HF table top drill press. Absolute shit. Entire shaft that the Chuck is mounted to wobbles, guaranteeing you will never get within a 1/4 inch of accuracy.

HF impact drill. It is an impact drill that drills, but does not even come close to the power of a standard 18v drill. The batteries last a day of standard use when new. After 1 week, you get half a day. It didn't seem to get worse after 6 months of half a day battery.

HF hammer drill, the biggun. Not the small ones. Works exceptionally well. Half the cost of larger name brand hammer drills, although ive found that my new dewalt drill with hammer feature does the exact same job, while still also being a standard drill.

HF sockets. Never had an issue with any HF socket. The plastic wrenches above work great, but look childish. I prefer to use any other chromed socket wrench available, no HF brand.

Never had a bad gas motor from HF, mainly because they don't have jack shit to do with the manufacture of them. They buy them to resell.

I've since stopped buying anything but sockets and various hard to find tools from HF. The only thing that has ever outright shocked me from HF is the dirt cheap digital caliper. If you haven't bought one, do it. I cannot get it to be inaccurate, and while I wouldn't suggest Honda start using them, they're absolutely perfect for anything you might use them for at home.
Item number 93293. Worst part is that the battery gets corrosion after a while and unit will randomly stop working. Take off the battery cover, wipe off battery and terminals, get back to work
>>
>>1001225
I got a dial gauge and base from them that's been lovely. I agree, I'm sure professionals will have problems with it, but it's been great for me truing up lots of shit around the workshop.
>>
The Pittsburgh Pro line of sockets and wrenchs is pretty stout. Looks for the "Made in Taiwan" label.

Their step drill bits are a jaw dropping value.

I also got a $10 set of diamond sharpening stones. Been a few years and still going strong.
>>
>>999871
I found these exact step bits at Tractor supply for 5$ for all 3. Now, they defnitely do the job, and the price is completely unmatchable, but be careful. If you're drilling 1/8th inch steel or thicker, always, always drill a decent sized pilot hole with a proper bit first. The one time I decided to not drill a pilot hole the bit snapped off right at the tip nearly instantly. And yes I was using lube.
>>
File: 1437526998493.png (241 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1437526998493.png
241 KB, 1024x1024
>>1001201
>nail unbender

MY SIDES
>>
>>1001201
>that technobabble monstrosity at the top
Finally, the multitool for all your turboencabulator rebuilds.
>>
Any of their drill presses worth a damn?

I'm considering either buying their 8 inch drill press or buying a 10 inch Ryobi from Craigslist.
>>
>>1001481
DO NOT BUY AN HF DRILL PRESS. They're by far the worst drill press available in the US. See my post like 5-8 posts up about my press. Anything used will be a better option.
>>
>>1001284
I've had no problem drilling up to 1/4" thick steel, as long as I was using a drill press. For some reason chucked into a hand drill, the bit wouldn't grab.
>>
1x30 belt sander- first one I bought wouldn't take replacement belts. Returned it, the second does, and is axtually pretty fucking great for knifemaking with some small modifications (cutting some material off of the table).

3 pound cross-pein hammer is okay. No problems with the head or haft, but the head is a little bit wobbly after 8 or 9 months of blacksmithing.

Their mini screwdriver set, with #1-#12 torx bits has worked very well.

The set of small files in a red bag (unbranded) has lasted me a long while and was $2.
>>
Got the Pittsburgh impact driver. Decent enough, doesn't have as much torque as the Ridgid li-ion impact my boss has
The red handle flush cutters. Sharp as fuck and they make really fast work of snipping wires on the back of a board. Maybe not as nice as my Hakkos though. Still, lifetime warranty means I'mma abuse the fuck out of these.
>>1000094
>They make rainbow ones
Maaan...
I wonder if they come in metric
>>
>>1000371
"free"
>>
>>1001488
What if I buy a used drill press that originally came from harbor frieght?
>>
>>1001225
>HF table top drill press. Absolute shit. Entire shaft that the Chuck is mounted to wobbles, guaranteeing you will never get within a 1/4 inch of accuracy.

Mine is useful when you're trying to drill a slightly triangular shaped hole. I've set up a table under it and use it as a drum sander now.
>>
I'm a TIG / MIG welder. I use my nice Miller hood when I TIG and my cheap ass harbor freight hood when I MIG. Keeps my good hood free of burns and splatter and the HF works just fine.
>>
>>1001730
my HF hood flashed me every 10-15 beads or so.
I returned it.
>>
File: 1457926990047.jpg (754 KB, 795x1024) Image search: [Google]
1457926990047.jpg
754 KB, 795x1024
>>
Their Predator engines are Honda clones. These are the best engines you can possibly buy at the price point.

Their tool cabinets are of good quality and are like half the price of brand name ones.

Most of their hand tools are just fine.

Basically you just need to read the reviews on everything there. If they have under 3 stars, you should avoid it unless it's a one time use tool.
>>
>>1001280

My general rule when buying tools is its worth paying more for "Made in Taiwan". The majority of made in China tools at lower price points are either massively inaccurate or fall apart after a couple of uses.

Don't know if you have the Rolsen range of tools in the states, but those prove my point beyond a shadow of a doubt. Other than a stubby claw hammer, everything else has been shocking. I used to warn people not to buy them, not because I'm a pushy salesman, but because I didn't want to have to deal with doing the returns the next day as duty manager.
>>
File: elcheapo1[1].jpg (475 KB, 980x735) Image search: [Google]
elcheapo1[1].jpg
475 KB, 980x735
I bought one of their concrete mixers on sale (they're always on sale) when I had about 80 bags of concrete to mix up for a patio, using those pour-in-place paver molds.

Wasn't too bad assembling it. Noisy little fuck that whined a bit with a 2-bag load, but it survived the job just fine and was cheaper than a rental.

>pic related
>>
>>1001760
I spent ages looking for the jokes in op thinking it was one of these.
>>
>>1001460
You have to be careful tho, with the HF model it's incredibly easy to depolarize the swing arm, and if that happens you have to buy a kit to reestablish connection with the intrinsic encoder wheel.
>>
File: image.jpg (230 KB, 1200x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
230 KB, 1200x395
>>1001806
I'm sure we have them, just under a different name. The only thing we don't really have state side is combo pliers, we prefer slip joints.
>>
>>1001693
Metric and Standard, all three drive sizes, regular and deep.
>>
>>1001202
>pneumatic slide whistle
>cordless hammer
I'm fucking dying
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Been using it daily for a week now. We'll see.
>>
>>1002330
My welding school used Harbor Freight grinders because the instructors don't want to spend money on nicer ones that'll just get broken.
>>
>>1002330
>>1002440
i use the black angle grinder, 1 year nearly, it's a tank.
>>
>>999493
The 4.5" angle Grinder is fucking good.
they go on sale often for 10 bucks or so. pick one up, they are so worth it. get some cutting discs too.

also the Pittsburg PRO line of sockets/wrenches are really good. Highly recommended.
anyone have experience with the 4x36 2/3hp benchtop belt sander?
i have the 1x30 and use it for knifemaking and like it but want something more. And there's a really good coupon in the salepaper.
inb4 buy a KMG
>>
>>999527
>And then their bar clamps are a really really good deal, when on sale with coupons. They work way better than cheap clamps should. Highly recommended.
i agree, but avoid the ratcheting type. They break for no reason. the screw type are really good.
>>
Do not buy their Scroll saw, it's complete shit.

the Drill Presses are barely useable.
>>
File: glue chart.png (40 KB, 590x369) Image search: [Google]
glue chart.png
40 KB, 590x369
I picked up one of their cashiers, a petite brunette cutie for a cheap line and my number. I've been drilling, screwing and hammering her for months and she hasn't even come close to showing any wear.
>>
>>999866

Don't expect much out of the box, this is no Bridgeport. They take a bit of modification to get the ways all squared up to get accurate XYZ travel. You will also need to upgrade the plastic gears in the mill's head to steel if you plan on machining anything other than Aluminum. mylittlemachineshop carries all the upgrades but in the end you will end up spending 3x the price of the HF on tooling/upgrades.

These days its much cheaper just to buy one of mylittlemachineshop's machines rather than fiddling with HF's shit out of the box.
>>
I got the 1 ton engine hoist
Its pretty great, lifted the ass end of my pickup off the ground and held it there so I give it a pass

If any of you decide to get it DO NOT crank the release screw down as hard as you can, you will destroy the o ring and it will never hold until you replace it
>>
>>1000098

Curious about this. Are the Piitsburgh screwdrivers good? I need a new set for my workbench
>>
File: 1345166099986.png (249 KB, 521x340) Image search: [Google]
1345166099986.png
249 KB, 521x340
>>1002681
HUE HUE
>>
>>1002754
The set I posted is widely praised on the Internet.
>>
>>1001699
If you have to ask after reading the posts above yours, then id say go for it.
>>
I bought their cheapest multimeter and although it was fine for relatively coarse automotive work the black probe literally fell apart in my hand as I was storing it on the same day I bought it; the wire was barely even attached to the tip of the probe.

I mean, I fixed it with a soldering gun and all but it was a bit inconvenient. I don't know what I expected for ~$5.50.
>>
>>1002759
I'm sure you know they're regularly free with coupons....

I have had one for years and it still works fine
>>
>>1002759
Would you trust it on a 480v 40A heating circuit? If not, throw it away. Not to be an elitist, but those meters are shit. They probably aren't even rated up to 600v.
>>
>>999493
snap-on is a meme and shilled out of the ass
>>
>>1002772

A snap on rachet is very much worth it.
>>
>>1002772
Snap-on works well when bought by industry and the military (who get better prices than buying off the tool truck) and a lot of their specialty tools are moneymakers.

Nice stuff, but unless you are a professional mechanic you don't need it.
>>
>>1002330
>Harbor Freight
>Angle grinder

It's like you want to mangle yourself or something
>>
>>1002772
This
Just like paying 60$ for expensive as fuck shoes.

PayLess Shoe Source and Walmart provide perfectly adequate shoes at a reasonable price.
>>
File: grips250[1].jpg (31 KB, 250x213) Image search: [Google]
grips250[1].jpg
31 KB, 250x213
>>1002806
>>>1002330
>>Harbor Freight
>>Angle grinder
>It's like you want to mangle yourself or something

WTF are you talking about. I can't kill my HF grinder. For $20 I can't even think of a better tool.
>>
>>1002822
Are they paying you in tiny LED flashlights?
>>
>>1002806
>mangle yourself

if you get mangled using a HF angle grinder, it's your fault. there's not really anything safetywise that separates it from any other inexpensive angle grinder.
>>
>>1002806
My keys got stolen and I was unable to unlock my dirt bike which was in the garage, called the locksmith and he quoted an ungodly some of money to pop the lock, fuck that I thought and went to HF, bought their 4.5" grinder and cut the lock myself, that was six or seven years ago and the grinder is still kicking ass whenever I need it too.
>>
>>1002825
He gets TWO coupons for 20% off.
>>
>>1002848
>He gets TWO coupons for 20% off.

Sometimes magazines like Popular Machanics or 4Wheel and Off Road have the coveted 25% off coupons!

>tfw when I have so many crappy multimeters and measuring tapes
>>
>>1002806
this thing is seriously legendary.
>>1002822
I've had this one for years
>>
>>1002814

>>Just like paying 60$ for expensive as fuck shoes

60 dollars is not expensive for shoes. You definitely are a poor ass HF shill
>>
>>1002932
I am not the person you are replying to but I agree. My mother is 84 and very active. She wore cheap shoes and had had problems in the past. For the past 8 years she only wears Reeboks or New Balance.
>>
File: EjzCCO7.jpg (27 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
EjzCCO7.jpg
27 KB, 600x448
>>1002806
>hating on the beast that is the hobo freight angle grinder
>>
I am a 2nd year electrician apprentice, I had to buy tools as I had nothing and was also poor when I first started. I got a set of the 9inch Harbor Freight flat nose/side cutters/"Klein's"/whatever you want to call them.
I still use them in trade today and Journeyman hasn't noticed it wasnt their MADE N MERICA Klein's. It costs 9 dollars compared to 25-60
>>
some idiots were trying to sell cheap off-brand framing hammers at a garage sale for $12 (I knew where they had come from and that the people bought them for a reduced price, way less than that)

it's like "I can go any day to harbor freight and pick up the same thing with similar or better quality, for half the price...plus if I do ever manage to break it, they'll probably replace it"
>>
Bought their pancake compressor several years ago, still going for occasional use
>>
>>1002976
i love mine.
I use it to airbrush Gundam models.
good buy.
>>
>>1002978
It's my only solution for attaching baseboards. The brad nailer I have had issue with, though. Nails get stuck inside the feeder and I have had to disassemble the mechanism many times to unjam it
>>
Pro here so I use my tools all day not just on the weekends.
My basic ratchets, sockets are all American made as I really don't trust cheaper stuff to get off rusted seized bolts without rounding the heads and fucking bolts up on me. But there's definitely a lot of Harbor Freight stuff that's a great deal and will take a beating.
I use the die grinders and air sanders daily. They usally last a year or more where as the snap on stuff will last ten but the snap on stuff cost 20x more so not really worth it. As a side plus the Snap on air tools are designed to spin slower so they'll last longer so the HF stuff actually works better IMO.
The HF vise grips & welding clamps just can't hang with the real thing. Probably okay for home hobby use but not real abuse.
Bought a set of deep impact sockets when I needed them in a jam. I never thought they would last and even have tried intentionally to crack them w/ pipe on a breaker bar. I gotta say these are tough and a great deal.
I use they're sanding disks and grinding wheels all the time. There are better out there but at a third of the price HF is the way to go.
I'm always buying their shrink tubing for wiring harnesses.
Their digital calipers are pretty accurate for quickie measurements but I'm still using my Brown & Sharpe stuff when I'm machining.
Someone mentioned getting a mimi mill or lathe. I do a fair amount of machining. I've looked there shit over and I would definitely advise against that. The precision isn't there. These machines have got to be straight and true with very tight tolerances to give you a nice finished piece in the end. The quality just isn't there yet.
We have two lathes and four Bridgeports. They were all given to us. There's tons of good used stuff out there if you look. Don't waist your money.
I'm sure there's plenty of other usable stuff at HF that I haven't tried yet.
>>
>>1002939
Actually foot and ankle injuries in sports have been directly linked to the price people spend on their sneekers.
The more people spend on their running shoes THE MORE LIKELY THER ARE TO END UP WITH FOOT ANKLE PROBLEMS.
The more expensive shoes are made to be more comfortable. More confort = more padding = less stable. The more cushy your footwear the less support and the more likely you are to twist or turn your foot/ankle the wrong way.
There are university are pro coaches that have known this for years and won't let their athletes use them. Google it up.
>>
>>1003141
Ugh. My shop is so dumb. We don't have a metal lathe or Bridgeport because they don't believe it buying used tools. They only want to buy new so thus we never get anything. And we're in Chicago too! I'm sure there re hundreds of Bridgeports just chilling waiting for homes. Ugh
>>
>>1003142
Minimalist running shoes can be just as expensive as those with a lot of padding.
>>
>>1002814
That's like putting $20 tires on your car.
>>
>>1003162
>he doesn't buy used tires
>>
>>1003141
Anon trying to convince myself not to get their lathe here.
Any suggestions on finding these mythical places to look for used lathes? I already watch Craigslist for the whole state, practical machinist market forum, and ebay but have never seen a lathe selling for less than their 'new' price that wasn't a $10k behemoth.
Will be going up near St. Louis for work in month or so, wonder if it'd be worth trying to pick up some machinery while I'm there since we'll have work trucks and trailers going anyways
>>
File: PronationFoot.jpg (117 KB, 600x418) Image search: [Google]
PronationFoot.jpg
117 KB, 600x418
>>1003142
>implying that high end running shoes/basketball shoes or other sports related shoes arent engineered specifically for their sport
>implying how "cushy" your shoes are has to do with anything
Yes, you go into a local running store. They fit you to specific shoes for the height of your arches and the rolling movement of your ankles.
Brands like Saucony and Brooks sell a ton of different models that are almost identical except the geometry of their soles.

But I guess most runners would be better off buying walmart shoes right?
Have you never actually bought a real pair of shoes before?
>>
File: saucony-cohesion-1[1].jpg (79 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
saucony-cohesion-1[1].jpg
79 KB, 500x500
>>1003174
>Brands like Saucony and Brooks sell a ton of different models that are almost identical except the geometry of their soles.

I had surgery to remove a torn meniscus. Before rehab I went to Dick Sporting Goods and they set me up with a pair of Sauconys. Super comfy and and stable. At around $60 a pair they are great shoes.

I just wish shoe companies would stop competing to make the ugliest shoes possible.
>>
>>1003208
I wear running shoes to fix my posture. I injured my neck, it makes you baby it and hold it out of posture. Bad posture then starts making your lower back hurt like shit too.
I was referred to go to a local running store to get fitted.

I too wish running shoes werent so ugly.
Im not /fa/ and dont care TOO much, but some running shoes are designed so weird and ugly that they look cheap walmart shoes.
>>
>>1003165
We got two of our bridgeports out of High Schools that were shutting down their metal shops.
We know a guy at a scrap yard who has called us a couple of times telling us about stuff that came in from factories that were being gutted and the machines were sold for scrap.
I've heard of people who got stuff from auctions of businesses shutting that were listed in newspapers
And places that sell that type of machinery usally have used stuff but that's paying premium $.
Best bet is really word of mouth. I've met a couple of older guys selling machinist tools at flea markets that had, or knew of larger machinery that was for sale.
I there's a website I ran across online but I can't remember the name of now.
It had a searchable board that had anything you would want to learn on it.
Never thought to see it they had a classified section. But if you're just starting out it would be worth it to join just for all the how to stuff that was on there.
>>
File: image_25514.jpg (90 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image_25514.jpg
90 KB, 1200x1200
This has come in handy a couple times now. Used it to notch a window frame for a kitchen countertop. Will also use it for cutting part of the hole for a kitchen sink. Not enough clearance for a jigsaw because of the backsplash.

It takes a couple seconds to spin up but apparently that's normal.
>>
>>1002772
Get off the internet for a bit, son. Le pepeshilljewmemegreentext needs to go on the back burner for a bit.
>>
>>1000148
If you're talking wood lathes I got their full sized one for under $200, was really iffy about it at first, dropping that much on a single thing from them...but it works wonderfully. Only issue I forsee is the cooling vent for the motor is facing the direction saw dust comes from.

Their 12 inch sliding compound miter saw is pretty solid. Fence is kind of weird and takes some getting used to. It can be a pain because it doesn't always go back to the correct angles, but what I did is cut blocks with the correct angles to check quickly. Kind of a pain, but not as much as realizing that's rain you hear and climbing out of an attic and running downstairs to cover up the $800 dewalt saw that's sitting in the backyard. Harbor freight saw is more disposable, less fearful to take it to a job where it'll be exposed. And it only has issues sometimes.
>>
>>1002330
Dragged one from the back of my tailgate for 5 miles. Had to bend back the guard, swap the disc and cover sharp points with tape, but it still worked.
>>
>>999871

This. I shit myself when Lowes wanted $30-$50 per bit.

Their compressors are great for household use. When the gauges go after a few years, release them with quality ones.

Used the HF spray gun to paint a bike. Came out great.
>>
File: image_21336.jpg (78 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image_21336.jpg
78 KB, 1200x1200
>>1004758
Im thinking on picking up this 26 gal compresser. Id be using it on small things and probably no more then 25 times a year. Not sure if i should look elsewhere.

My dad has a bunch of their smaller ones he used at work for light duty.
>>
>>1004758
Tool chests are also lovely
>>
>>1005014
make sure to use a coupon
>>
>>999493
>Any harbor freight vise. They are all made with paper thin castings.
Shit, it seemed like they might just be rough and terribly finished. I assume that goes double for the cross slide any machine tools for machine-tool purposes
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.