[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lawnmower engine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160525_182130946_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160525_182130946_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
So I got this Briggs and Stratton 3.5HP engine with a vertical shaft from a lawnmower. I would use it for a project like a kart or drift trike but then my best option is to convert it to a horizontal shaft. As I don't have a lot of experience with fabricating, I'm looking for other ideas. The thing is, I can't get that thing off where the blade is supposed to be connected to. So I can't really use 45 degree gears.

So my question: what do I do?
>pic related
>>
File: IMG_20160525_182043371.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160525_182043371.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>999161
sideways view
>>
>>999161
You're kinda fucked mate. The gearbox or whatever contraption you fabricate to turn that into a horizontal will be more of a headache than selling the one you have and buying the right one.

Many people have tried. Few have succeeded. Check out gokarting forums. I have a kart and I have a horizontal shaft engine.
>>
>>999164
This.
Its not worth the time, effort, money, or weight to build a gearbox for it. And a gearbox is the only way you would be able to do it.

Cut your losses and get another motor. Also realize that a go kart will nickel and dime the fuck out of you, so the motor is not necessarily the biggest expense.
>>
Mount it directly over the differential
>>
>>999175
Most Go karts dont have differentials
>>
>>999161
Google "belt drive vertical to horizontal".

No applause please. Just throw money.
>>
>>999161
don't you just add a different splash lubricator to the crank to make it run vertically?
>>
hijacking thread for similar question:

I got a like 8hp briggs rolling leafblower, the fan itself came loose and snapped the crankshaft when i came off, engine still runs fine. New crank is like 150$ online, how difficult would it be to replace
>>
>>999274
That depends on how stuck the bolts are holding it together and the flywheel. You will need tools and new gaskets or sealant.
>>
>>999274
HF predator 6.5 is 119.99
>>
>>999161
small engine mechanic here. quick answer. you dont. you cannot reliably convert a vertical into a horizontal or vise versa. it's all about oil control. buy a harbor fright predator engine for 100 bucks. save yourself a bunch of time. thank me later.
>>
Ok thanks, for how much would I be able to sell this? Also, the mechanism to trigger the choke is fucked and there is almost no place to fix it. Should I leave it this way?
>>
>>999399
Nothing if it's broken, why on earth would anyone want it?
>>
>>999164
Not to mention the carburetor isn't set up for variable speeds.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.