[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shipping Pallets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: pallets.jpg (1 MB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
pallets.jpg
1 MB, 3504x2336
Hey, /diy/
I want to do a lot of stuff with shipping pallets. I want to do some flooring with them and make some cheap furniture out of it. My question is HOW do I get a hold of them? Where do you guys find them or get them from?
>inb4 http://www.1001pallets.com/pallet-classified-ads/
I tried and there was nothing near me.
>>
>>998781
find your nearest grocery store.

drive by in car #1 a few times, look for cameras behind the store. see where they are looking. often times they dont include the truck bay areas, only the enterences. you just want to make sure they arent looking at where the pallets are stacked

now get car number 2. take the plates off. drive down at 2am, throw the pallets in the trunk, drive off.
>>
>>998782
Okay, Okay. Good intensity. Its a step in the right direction, but are there any options that wont get me in trouble with the law? Paying bail on "shipping pallet theft" isnt the coolest way to go down. I could murder a man on the way there, I guess, but its not exactly what I am after. I appreciate the idea though.
>>
>>998781
>i want to go to a lot of effort and expense to get garbage to turn into more garbage.
>>
>>998782
Sometimes they'll also just give you the busted ones to you if you ask
>>
>>998788
Haha alright, thanks anon. Needed the laugh. :')
>>
Drive passed industrial areas. They put them out the front on the nature strip hoping people will take them. Importers in particular as the pallets come in and there is nothing to do with them after that.
>>
>>998782
>>998784
>>998788
>>998790
>>998791
>>998795
thanks for the help, everyone. I got a contact now thanks to your advice. Now how about cool projects? I am soon going to have as many as I'd like, so I need something bigger than the coffee table and stuff. Please.
>>
>>998781

Given the work involved in recovering decent pieces of timber from pallets, it's cheaper and easier to just buy lumber.

Source: I've fucking done it and it sucks balls.
>>
They are good for building tree houses, and temporary enclosures, or cages.
>>
>>998781
If you live in a city, you have several large construction material suppliers. They go through them quickly and usually throw a bunch out - when they start getting damage, etc.
Another source is construction sites. Materials are delivered on palettes to the site and usually they just get thrown in the big roll-off dumpsters.
I have to point out though, if you think you're going to find the nice hardwood palettes, that's an entirely different story. Those seem to only be used in certain situations, and they usually don't just throw them out. An example of that is concrete roofing tile. They expect those palettes back when you're done with them. From my experience though, even the softwoods used in palettes tend to have a larger density of grain - tends to be tougher pieces.
>>
>>998791
>Haha alright, thanks anon. Needed the laugh. :')
Some of us aren't laughing.

Pallet wood is generally low-quality wood that already has considerable damage. Most of the time it isn't even worth stealing.

If you are going to the trouble to build something yourself and you want it to look nice at all, you're a lot better off just going and buying new wood.
If you want to build something that looks like an antique, then you need to search locally for "weathered" wood.
>>
>>998931
I like my dresser to give me splinters thank you very much
>>
File: 1462312456614.jpg (727 KB, 766x1200) Image search: [Google]
1462312456614.jpg
727 KB, 766x1200
Fuck yes I'm so excited for this thread again. Once a week just isn't enough.
>>
Jesus christ just go up to some local stores and warehouses and ask for busted up pallets and any shitty wood they have lying around. My neighbor burns them for firewood - he does the rounds of local places with a trailer once a month and gets 20-30 each time and that's in a small town.
>>
>>998781
You know people give away solid pine furniture for next to nothing.

Trust me it is a lot easier to sand off old varnish from furniture boards than to plane and sand pallet wood into furniture boards.
>>
>>998781
I used to get mine from a place that sells roofing supplies to contractors. Hundreds free for the taking.
>>
>>998809

>hey guys how do I get this
>he guys I got a whole load of this what should I do with all of this?
>>
>>998781
pellets are shit tier product, that is not meant to be in close daily contact with humans indoor. Wood has been treated with the nastiest crap to prevent it from rotting/getting insects.

Also this
>>999008

>enjoy your cancer that you get from the coffee table
>>
>>999452
>pellets are shit tier product, that is not meant to be in close daily contact with humans indoor. Wood has been treated with the nastiest crap to prevent it from rotting/getting insects.

Not only that, you never know what the pallet has been used to transport, could be anything from bacteria from old rotten meat to caustic chemicals on them.
>>
>>999538
>>999452
What's a better alternative for free wood? Not OP but I was just about to try to find some pallets to build some furniture, but as you both said I'm sure they aren't good to be around.
>>
Just start buying your non perishables in huge bulk orders.
>>
>>998781
The pallet supply has been taken by people using them to shore up underground shipping containers. No more left. Sorry.
>>
>>999554
>go to nearest forest
>drive along service roads until you find a newly downed tree
>get a buddy to babysit it
>go rent truck/flatbed
>haul it away
Or just look through craigslist's free section, people will give shit away because it's easier than posting an ad and trying to get the price right
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.