[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HVLP pros, got any tips for a noob? First project out of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 600x906) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 600x906
HVLP pros, got any tips for a noob?

First project out of the gate: Gotta put weather seal on the deck. I have on trusted advice that I should mix it with paint thinner and strain it before putting it in the pot.

Second project: spraying Minwax fast drying poly on a solid maple tabletop.

Any advice? I just got a pneumatic HVLP gun from Harbor Freight FYI.
>>
By the way, I'm only accustomed to spray painting from rattle cans.
>>
>>998133
>HVLP gun from Harbor Freight

the $10 one?

you need to completely take apart and clean those suckers immediately after you're done or it will quickly turn to a paper weight

get a piece of scrap and really practice getting the spray correct
>>
>>998184
>get a piece of scrap and really practice getting the spray correct
So much this. When I got my first one I thought I would repaint an old metal toolbox that had super fucked up paint. First attempt looked like ass so I stripped it down and had another go. Still ass. Third attempt: ass. 6 times I had to strip that fucker down before I got it right.
>>
practicing is good but rattle cans are a start
however you may never want to use them again after getting a HVLP . I know I don't

cleaning is very important search youtube for this . you will need thinners / white spirit / 2k thinner depending on what kind of paint you used . white spirit is cheapest

setting up
http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/set-up-hvlp.html

hope this helps . have fun
>>
>>998457
Thats a completely different thing.

I thonk OP is talking about those Airless Sprayers that come with a small electric compressor.

They are good for home use if you want to replace painting with a brush or roller.
They basically chuck paint at a wall. They do not atomize it like an automotive spray gun because its too low pressure.

The needles and nozzles are all plastic.
I have one from lidl. Cost me €59.
It makes quick work out of painting interiors and works best with water based paint.

I used it to paint a forklift and a metal door with alkyd oil based enamel and it was a bitch to clean up. I ran nitrothinner trough it and called it a day.
The next time I went to use it found that the needle was still covered in paint and that the paint cup was stuck to the gun because two drops of paint got in the threads.

In conclusion, its a good tool for moving large amounts of paint with little overspray and cleanup but be sure to disassemble and clean thouroughly.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.