[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
simple question how would one make these scales? in mass if possible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: scales.jpg (11 KB, 270x186) Image search: [Google]
scales.jpg
11 KB, 270x186
simple question how would one make these scales? in mass if possible
>>
>>997309
Out of what? How thick? What size?
>>
>>997312
inch long aluminum
and as think as it can be and not bend without a wrench
>>
Probably have to make a machine that stamps them out
>>
>>997322
i do have a hydroponic press
>>
Just buy them from theringlord.com, it's about $5 for a hundred. It'll cost you more to make them not to mention the time and effort.
>>
>>997329
im not sure it will cost more
i have the material already and for things im working on i need a few thousand
>>
>>997333
So email the guy and ask him about a bulk discount. You lose nothing, may as well ask
>>
>>997337
fair enough its worth a shot
>>
>>997309

You'd use a hydraulic press and punch/die.

But, as has already been pointed out, if you plan on making less than tens of thousands of them, it's not going to be worth the money, time, and hassle.
>>
>>997348
lets say i do wana make that many

i have the press how would i go about getting the die
>>
>>997352
You can make them out of 5mm O1 tool steel for a couple of bucks usually, (compared to the x$100's the bought ones cost) but it does require a bit of machining talent so to speak.
>>
File: simple die.jpg (23 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
simple die.jpg
23 KB, 560x420
>>997352
It wouldn't be a real complicated die OP. If you have a drill press and a die grinder you can pull it off.
>>
>>997362
i have a full machine shop so i mgiht be able to
>>
>>997371
>has a full machine shop
>owns a hydrolic press

>still asking how to do it

Shitty fucking machinist you are.
https://youtu.be/hXslNcD1tqI

Lets say you ARE a machinist, and let us say your time is worth $20/hr.

You set up your die and press and your strip and you feed the material in by hand. You can get one scale popped out on average lets say every 2 seconds thats 1800 in an hour or a savings of about $20, not including the labor and materials of cutting a die punch set. For armour you'llyou'll need about 8,000 small ones so you'll be sitting at your press for at least 5 hours straight listening to the constant droning of a painfully slow hydrolic press. For a total savings of about $100

Now lets say you really do want to make tens of thusands of them... you buy, or build, a real cutting press as shown in the video. And try to go into production against a hugely succesful company that is already well established and can beat your operating costs in every way.
>>
>>997387
This is DIY, not buyfag
Op has access to machine shop. Op did not claim to be a die maker(different trade than machinist)
OP will build his first die, gain experience, and you will stay a naysaying faggot.
>>
>>997348
ArenĀ“t those usually slow as fuck? I mean you could make a multi part die, but I doubt that will go smoothly.
>>
>>997323
Does it grow plants well?
>>
You can cut a RT die with a jewelers saw, steel plate and a slant surface jig. Super easy just takes time. 45 mins probably for that leaf shape. Then a circle punch for the holes
>>
>>997768
The key is the slant the cut in such a wa. That the cut on either face is offset by the width of the sawblade, so when squeezed together it sheers anything between the parts. Its one part btw, like abookmark. RT die is what you wantto research
>>
>>997387
>hurt durr you gotta calculate your own labor cost for a hobby
>>
>>997333
You'll lose out in time as compared to just ordering it, even if you value your time at minimum wage. If you need a few thousand, you'll spend days making them.
I make chain mail. I hammer every single ring flat to strengthen them and add a more authentic look to the piece. Each ring takes seven to ten seconds to finish. It literally takes me all day just to get enough rings to get started on a project. Consider too that if you stamp them out on a press, you have to smooth out the sheared edges, both to make it safely wearable and aesthetically acceptable. Trust me, if you start you'll think "Why did I not spend $100 for 2000 of these things?"
>>
>>997817
And you don't? Not the guy you replied to but I mean, I won't even consider a hobby unless it turns a profit. Especially since my time otherwise is worth $75 an hour.
>>
>>998050
So how much do you make shitposting on here?
>>
>>998050
>won't consider a hobby unless it turns a profit
>hurr durr my time is worth $75 an hour
>posts on 4chan

Get fucked you colossal faggot.
>>
>>997323
>hydroponic press

That's incredible! I have a hydraulic garden!
>>
>>997524
/diy/ is about being practical, not going full minecraft autism mode and trying to dig up your own iron ore to build a motorcycle.

You have limited time in your life. By buying something where it makes practical sense, you have more time to /diy/ something else.
>>
File: ayyyy.png (216 KB, 308x353) Image search: [Google]
ayyyy.png
216 KB, 308x353
I just ordered 200, 2" 20g bronze circles from ringlord for $60 total, I wouldn't even be able to buy a 3' square piece of bronze sheet for that much.

By ordering them I save both time and money.
>>
>>998049
You could tumble them to save time getting burrs off the edge.
>>
>>998049
So you make ringmail?
>>
>>998653
Good job.
>>
>>998653
Aren't the circles and rings made from wire?

New fag to the thread, make the scales for the experience of making them. Otherwise just buy them and continue with the main project.
>>
>>998653
>ringlord
Hadn't heard of this site... damn, wish they existed back when I used to make chainmail and shit years ago.
Still, they've got some cheap wire I'm gunna get off them which is hard to find.
>>
>>998653

That MIGHT have something to do with the fact that 200 2" circles + waste is only 800in^2, even cut inefficiently. A 3x3' sheet is nearly 1,300in^2.

>>997528

The only faster way would be with a rotary punch. Those are much more complex and difficult to manufacture than a plain punch and die set, and, as such, are typically reserved for parts manufactured, at minimum, in the hundreds of thousands.
>>
>>997362
Likely could get away with using a cheap grinder, plasma cutter, and bench vice grip.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.