[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Using magnets to hold on glasses
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: pierced glasses.jpg (48 KB, 290x217) Image search: [Google]
pierced glasses.jpg
48 KB, 290x217
So I've been tossing around an idea in my head after seeing this guy. He got a nose bridge piercing, put magnetic holders for frameless lenses on there. I want to do this, but without getting a piercing or magnetic implants. If I put a little neodymium magnet on each side of the nose, would the attraction be strong enough to hold the glasses on through the bridge of a nose? Never really toyed around with them but I hear word they're really stronk.
>>
I would work on not being a faggot.

Get your priorities straight, and everything else falls into place.
>>
>>996818
I'm not thinking from a "look cool" POV, which is why I think using body modding to do it is stupid. Earpieces are an uncomfortable pain in the ass and they break all the fucking time. Just looking to avoid that.
>>
It might work, but if the magnets were strong enough they could cause damage to the nose bridge. I would look into finding something to modify the nose piece so it would hold onto the bridge of the nose rather than trying to use magnets.
>>
>>996820
stop shoving your glasses up your ass and the arms wont break. stop buying hipster glasses with plastic frames and arms thicker than the cow tales candy.
>>
>>996823
I have memory titanium frameless lenses nigger. Glasses arms are shit across the board.
>>
>>996817
just get a set of pince nez and be done with it you hipster faggot.
>>
>>996829
Hadn't heard that term, but that's essentially the morpheus glasses, right? You're having a nigga moment on a thread about glasses Poindexter, calm down
>>
>>996830
Yes. You too can be the matrix.
>>
>>996825
I've been wearing cheap glasses for 14 years and not once have I broken one of the arms. Are you regularly slamming things into them or getting punched in the face?
>>
>>996817
The magnets will pinch the fuck out of your face.

I wouldn't advise the piercing idea either. One bad bump and you have a face-full of agony and blood
>>
File: WP_20160522_001[1].jpg (2 MB, 2000x3552) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160522_001[1].jpg
2 MB, 2000x3552
>>996817
>putting neodymium and metal anywhere near your eyes

Jesus, we already have a cringe thread. That being said unless you have a very square nose bridge I can't imagine it working that well just because they would want to slip off without a really high friction padding between the magnet and your nose, which would be uncomfortable in it's own right.

I would say don't fuck with Neodymium unless you have a reason too. Then again, I might be biased from all the blood blisters I got from fucking around with it when I was a kid.

>Pic related is me fucking around with Neodymium to prove a point
>>
File: WP_20160522_002[1].jpg (2 MB, 3552x2000) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160522_002[1].jpg
2 MB, 3552x2000
>>996888
Size refrence, in case anyone wanted it. It's a 6" ruler and the magnet is about a 1" cube
>>
>>996817
Sure, it'll work. All you need are those magnets... yeah, those magnets are all you need. That's all you need. Well... and those glasses, just those magnets and glasses, that's IT. Maybe some glue too, but that's all. Just those magnets, those glasses, and some glue, and you're all set! And then you'll find your purpose, OP.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 566x292) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 566x292
>>996825
Are they like these? if so they will always break at the bend by the lenses. Get a type with actual folding arms and you'll be golden.

Went from glasses like those to some from the same brand with actual arms and have had them 5 years so far. The old ones I'd have something break at least once a year. They are at least repairable unlike full frames but each part was priced at $98 so not exactly cheap
>>
>>996830
Yeah Morpheus invented them
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaz2hxZLycY
>>
>>997153
you sir ARE TALKING TO A NIGGER!!!
>>
>>996833

To be fair I've faceplanted from a skateboard more than once with negligible damage to my glasses. They always come off, but so far have never broken.

Op - Stop buying ridiculously weak frames is my advice. Stop buying ethereal frames made of spider silk and wondering why your clumsy hands keep snapping the arms. Or if it's that you're part time myopic, put them down somewhere safe.

Of course, if you keep sitting on them you probably need to wear them more.
>>
>>996833
I agree with this man. I've severely scratched glasses, dropped them on pavement, accidently kicked them while trying to catch them falling off my face. Never once broken off an arm.
>>
Hahah wow what a gay fucking idea.
>>
>>996820
Yeah because people never care about their appearance. Fuck off you think this dumb shit looks cool.

Cringy as hell. Terrible excuse to do this by the way

Hurr hurr I broke my glasses again, better use magnets on my face
>>
Your not the first to do this. And having magnets that close to your face is going to give you headaches and im not specularing or over exaggerating I tried this for a while when I was in high school and my migraines got worse and it will eventually affect your ability to relax your eyes please please take it out . Im not trying to be mean just for your sake don't.
>>
File: 91625.jpg (40 KB, 1000x316) Image search: [Google]
91625.jpg
40 KB, 1000x316
Seriously? Your first thought is magnets? And not "A small clip" have you ever heard the term K.I.S.S.? Stands for "Keep It Simple Stupid"

You're overcomplicating the shit out of this. Either way it will be more trouble than it's worth, there is a reason 99% of glasses have arms that hook over your ears since their invention, it is the best way to keep something in front of your eyes without it weighing down and becoming too uncomfortable on your face.Having a clip or 'magnets' on your nose will pinch the shit out of it because it doesn't have the needed support and has to compensate that by being tighter on your nose.

Just buy some tougher glasses, ones like >>996909 are shit, unless you're very careful with them, they will break, get something that isn't made of shitty plastic like those thick rimmed hipster frames are and you should be good.

Picture related is what I've been wearing for the past few years. Yeah yeah they are faggy frames, but they were given to me free and last a long time so who cares.
>>
You cannot directly suspend objects from subdermal magnetic implants. It's a cool idea, but it has been shown in the past to kill the skin between the points of contact.
>>
>>996817
>So I've been tossing around an idea in my head after seeing this guy. He got a nose bridge piercing, put magnetic holders for frameless lenses on there. I want to do this, but without getting a piercing or magnetic implants.
It is entirely possible that more than one person has done this by now--but the first guy I read about who did that, didn't use magnets at all.
He has a piercing and the glasses screwed together. The post/straight nose bridge was attached to one side of the glasses, and screwed into the other side somehow.

>>997638
>You cannot directly suspend objects from subdermal magnetic implants. It's a cool idea, but it has been shown in the past to kill the skin between the points of contact.
This is truth^^^. If the magnets attract hard enough to squeeze much at all, it's enough to starve the tissue of blood. This is the main medical fear when little kids swallow magnets.

>>996909
>Are they like these? if so they will always break at the bend by the lenses. Get a type with actual folding arms and you'll be golden.
(not OP)
I have a pair of those in titanium from Zenni optical, they are fantastic. Much lighter weight than any of the hinged glasses, and they don't squeeze your head either.
The titanium ones are $45 for the frames. The stainless ones are $25 and maybe a bit heavier & prone to breaking.
They came shipped folded up inside a normal eyeglass case, but I never fold mine up tho.

IMO--glasses are a lot like shoes: you gotta wear them every day, so spend money for ones that fit comfortably.
Over the long run, the money you save on cheap ones is nothing compared to the misery they will cause you.
>>
>>996817
>pierced glasses

Contacts

>magnets to hold on glasses

Contacts.
>>
>>996820
I've worn Glasses for 25 years. Never broke one pair stop being a fucking moron
>>
>>996904
>10/10
>>
>>998009
>Main medical fear.
>Not the magnets ripping and tearing holes
>>
>>998297
OP is too much of an edgeknob for that
>>
>>996817
Nah, too far. Besides your nose would hurt if the magnet was somehow strong enough. Might as well get a pince-nez like Morpheus, or use some kind of body glue. Magnets won't work :(
>>
>>999133
Thank you. It's telling that this board jumps right on the Morpheus allusions, but the "opti-grab" is barely noticed. Getting old I guess.
>>
>>996820
I bet you fucking sleep with your glasses on.
>>
>>996817
Not worth
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.