[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cut Media Wire Outside, How to Repair?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: 1463851541117.jpg (45 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1463851541117.jpg
45 KB, 540x960
Anyone know how to fix this wire that got cut outside by accident. I have no tv or internet. And I don't want to get charged by verizon to do this. All I could find so far was this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-a-cut-TVinternet-cable/

but that's for a round coaxial cable. How do i do it for a flat coaxial cable like this?
>>
>>996609

Please explain yourself, friend.
>>
>>996610
i saw this wire sticking out in the front yard when i first moved in. I had landscapers doing some excavating and they cut it by accident. Now I have no internet or TV.
>>
File: 1463851551388.jpg (146 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1463851551388.jpg
146 KB, 540x960
>>996609
extra pictures
>>
>>996611
well no internet or TV for you

also no good boy points for you
>>
>>996611

Then tell the landscapers to fix it.

You have to run new line from pole/pedal stool to demarc of house.

It's a simple and uncomplicated process. You can buy coax rg6 at lowes/homedepot/hechenger.

That doesn't look like coax though, and I was leaning almost toward fiber.
>>
Need more pictures, do you have enough length to make the two ends meet?
>>
>>996615
well can you help me out here. its not my fault idiot verizon installer had this wire sticking out. now i don't want to have to pay for something that they didn't do properly.
>>
>>996616
what is demarc of house. i think its a fiber wire too.
>>
What the fuck is that?

Do you have fios/uverse/google?

I honestly can't tell what that is. It's flat and the jacket looks like a 2 pair aerial drop, but there's no conductors. The flakey fibrous shit also looks like non-metallic aerial drop, or fiber drop. That shouldn't be on the ground if it's copper though.

I'm pretty sure it's fiber and there is absolutely no way you can DIY a fiber repair. Just need to call the company and ask for a truck role. Own up to cutting the drop, it'll reduce costs to you because they won't need to waste time troubleshooting.

Bill your landscape company to fix it since they fucked it up.
>>
>>996619

Demarc is the point at which your ISP enters your premise. For you it's your ONT since I am pretty sure its fiber. Technically if you have MoCA, the have a duty up to your modem/router.

Please take a picture of where the wire enters your home, and of the pedal stool or pole from whence the wire comes.

"Also called point of demarcation (POD), demarc extension, or demarc, it is the physical point at which the public network of a telecommunications company (i.e., a phone or cable company) ends and the private network of a customer begins - this is usually where the cable physically enters a building."
>>
>>996620
You could try burying it again, and calling USA, and have them locate your yard for your excavation (like you were supposed to) and then they won't locate it because verizon didn't use the right type of drop with a tracer wire on it. (Unless they did, your pictures are kind of shit)

You called USA before dig -> USA didn't locate un-locatable wire -> Verizon's fault they didn't use a wire that was to code.

There should be a little copper wire bonded to the edge of the jacket, but there doesn't seem to be, I think they used an aerial fios drop instead of a buried one.
>>
>>996620
thank you for clarifying. I'm calling a tech to repair but no available tech for 14 days lol! I'm fucked.

>>996622
im not at my house now, but now I know what you are talking about.

thanks everyone. ugh i can't even charge the landscapers for messing this up since they are doing a service for a cheap price.
>>
>>996623

I agree, it looks like aerial wire. The jacketing and sheathing look all kinds of fucked up.

>>996622

Get dem pictures yo!
>>
Its definitely fiber. And you shouldnt have to pay for shit it should be buried it shouldnt be visable from the ground. Whoever dropped the line fucked up. Yeah you could have avoided it and called them once you saw it sticking out of the ground but you didn't.
>>
thanks again for all the replies.

verizon is hooking it up by fixing it tomorrow and giving me 10gb free data credits. yea baby! i just have to weave my way with tech to say that it wasn't my fault some other tech was a douche to leave an exposed wire.
>>
>>996632
In california our PUC says that needs to be 12-18" deep, and have a tracer wire. Local values may vary. Worth looking up so you can hold them to it so they don't charge you. The tech will probably be a contractor or shit eating manager, Verizon is still on strike.
>>
>>996611
It will be down to them to pay for the repair. If they knew it was likely they were going to damage the service they should have mad provisions with the cable supplier to have it temporarily moved.
>>
>>996642
Really this. They are pretty hard-assed about you damaging the cable, especially if there was no USA locate record.

The best you can do is threaten to leave to their competitor.
>>
>>996609
good luck "repairing" a chopped off optic cable by your fat self, lad
>>
>>996658
>assuming hes fat
>not reading that its most likely fiber optic
>>
File: KEK.jpg (89 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
KEK.jpg
89 KB, 604x604
>>996660
>reading
oh, you gave me a good giggle here, lad!
>>
Fiber optic splice kits run over $1000 and the fusion splicer is over $10k so you're not fixing it yourself.
>>
Just pay some mexican tou stare at the ends of the fibers and when he sees flashing, flash the other end of the cable with a flashlight.
>>
File: 525307.gif (778 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
525307.gif
778 KB, 480x360
>>996923
There's not enough 5 hour energy in the world....
>>
>>996609
Call your service provider. You may not even be allowed to fix that cable yourself, it all depends on your contract.
>>
With Cox in Phoenix I only needed to pay for wire repairs on the house side of the splitter on the side of my house. Landscapers use to cut my main up the side of the house 1-2 times a year. Repair was always free. It was a rental so I couldn't drop a plate over the wires to protect them.
>>
>>996626
You absolutely can and should. Cheap doesnt mean "wrong." That, my friend, in your pictures is WRONG.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.