[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
0 power lighting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: abdv65wzghhcajg5.jpg (40 KB, 557x338) Image search: [Google]
abdv65wzghhcajg5.jpg
40 KB, 557x338
Looking to see what lighting alternatives that are available to a 0 electricity building? I've heard of a charity who are using plastic bottles filled with water and chlorine in the roofs of african slums to create a light source (pic related)
In the aim of maximizing light into a room/campervan so that plant's etc can still get adequate sunlight
>>
>>996514
Is this how the Egyptians built the pyramids inside?
>>
>>996514
Get a used sliding glass patio door and install it as a skylight. Just build a box up and use flashing properly to make it waterproof. If you don't do the flashing correctly it will leak; same as any other roof installation.
>>
>>996514
>so that plant's etc can still get adequate sunlight
This will take decent window space (much more than your image). Chemical lights aren't bright enough. Before electric lighting, buildings were designed for natural light during the day. Building with this in mind is easier than remodeling. What's your situation?
>>
>>996519
I have no idea I'm afraid
>>
>>996522
I was hoping to minimize on roof coverage as id like to set up some solar panels eventually. Although if all else fails i will resort to glass roofing tiles with open beams
>>
>>996519
They used torches. The pyramids were built with ventilation passages.
>>
>>996527
Im in the process of designing an off grid house build, and was hoping to be able to minimize roof coverage for solar panels whilst maximizing natural light. I'm completely cluesless as to how chemicals filter sunlight and reduces its benefit
>>
I should add; im trial running its effectiveness on a small shed roof before i get building on the new house
>>
Those things are literally cleaned soda bottles filled with water and a drip of bleach to stop algie growing. Drill out a hole in the roof, push it through, seal thoroughly and voila instant skylight without the skill or cost requirements.

They don't produce light, just act as solar bulbs to illuminate indoor spaces that lack windows.
>>
>>996532
>off grid house build
Then go for a passive solar design. Large, south-facing windows. None in the roof (passive solar and a ventilated roof should greatly reduce heating/cooling needs). Plan the house so all rooms have wall space for windows. A relatively open floor plan would make that easier. Why the focus on the shed roof?

>how chemicals filter sunlight and reduces its benefit
What? If you're referring to my comment about chemical lights, the problem is the amount of light they produce. Things like enzymatic lights are only good for low-light visibility, and while torches can be made bright enough (though supplying the gas to run them off-grid would be a logistical issue), a torch bright enough to grow plants wouldn't be suitable for an inhabited space. Sunlight is a hundred to a thousand times brighter than typical modern lighting standards, which are themselves an order of magnitude or two brighter than pre-electric artificial lighting practices. Only high-power electric lights or actual sunlight can supply plant-growing light practically.

If those comparisons sound big to you, consider that sunlight is about a MILLION times brighter than moonlight, and most people can see fine with moonlight. LEDs running from solar-recharged batteries could easily provide enough light for you to conduct your affairs at night. Providing enough light to grow plants is a MUCH bigger task.
>>
>>996538
This. Its literally a hole in the roof. In a non nigger tier country you can get translucent roofing panels. Especially for this kind of design, you just rip up one panel and drop in a translucent one.
>>
>>996538
They are stupid as fuck. What do they need light inside their mud huts for? So they can see the mud and shit and dirt better? Utterly pointless, just another example of the white man trying to circle jerk themselves and feel good about themselves by 'helping' 'poor' people.
>>
Candles
>>
Gravity to pull weighted pully that turns generator just re lift it once its reached the ground like a grandfather clock
>>
Crystal batteries ;^)

Im not even joking
>>
File: Dentistry 101.jpg (39 KB, 304x304) Image search: [Google]
Dentistry 101.jpg
39 KB, 304x304
>>996514
>Remove roof
>Hallelujah
>????
>Prophet
>>
just order a bunch of solar driveway/gardening lights off amazon or chinese sites like alibaba
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.