[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of my coffee table? It's made from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
What do you guys think of my coffee table? It's made from 70 year old wood from my barn that was destroyed by a Tornado in March.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 750x1334
Here is the barn before the tornado
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 960x720
And after
>>
>>996447
So much great old wood. Looks good other than weighing 900 pounds.

I like heavy furniture though so 7/10 would put feet up on.
>>
>>996447
I dig it, you planning on staining it or leaving it as is?
>>
>>996464
This, it looks nice but I'm wondering if giving it a light sand + finish wouldn't improve it.
Not a woodworker.
>>
Op here, I did some more sanding, I'm gonna leave it as is.
>>
>>996447

Now that's my kinda table.

That is exactly the type i want all my wooden furniture to be, beds, tables, chairs, dressers, drawers, every kind of wooden furniture should be made like this
>>
Was this interior untreated wood originally? I'd be worried about lead content.

It looks great though. I'd buy it after a negative lead test (kids, dogs, and cats try to eat everything.)
>>
>>996554
There's no paint on it, anon. You'd have to eat the whole thing to get enough lead to hurt you, yes even a kid. Go on OP, rock their world and tell them it's wood from a stripping room... I like it, by the way. Definitely a man's style of furniture.
>>
I'm hoping my dad doesn't sell the old farm before I get some of the wood from the outbuildings.

>>996489
I would use cutting tools to finish (planes, scrapers, and steel wool). And then just oil it, with many applications. Maybe with walnut oil or tung oil. I bet the grain is gorgeous. Tung oil would harden up and darken the surface over time.

On a design level, it's heavy and clunky. Not my taste. It looks like a workbench. I appreciate the rustic look, but you could have done something more elegant with the legs (maybe quarter a section of beam and use that for the legs? Or build it with only two thick legs?). It seems like it would dominate the room and feel out of place.

Ergonomically, I don't like the sharp corners. I can imagine banging my leg on that ten times a day.

Craftwise, it looks sloppy, which is a shame since you have access to a nice shop. Why the hell are the boards all uneven?

Not trying to bag on you, gg for using this wood instead of selling it to hipsters or throwing it out. Just trying to offer some constructive criticism.
>>
Really like this OP. Would like to see when it's oiled or varnished or however you finish it.

Note to others. This is how you do rustic reclaimed furniture. Not shitty pallet wood.
>>
I'd clear poly it.
>>
File: ents.jpg (533 KB, 827x1093) Image search: [Google]
ents.jpg
533 KB, 827x1093
>>996689
>I'd clear poly it.
you dont mean like that stuff that dries like a hard shellac?
Because that would ruin the whole aesthetic.
Leaving it unfinished or with a light oil finish will allow it to age and gather memories. things like spilled coffee stains and beer bottle rings, little dents and scratches from where things happened and show it got used.
>>
>>996447
Looks heavy as fuck.

10/10 would break my toes on it any day of the week.
>>
>>996754
>Coffee stains and bottle rings

Oh right I forget all you plebs are gross as hell.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.