[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone know of anyone that still makes old school power
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 10
File: pb250396r.jpg (972 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
pb250396r.jpg
972 KB, 2560x1920
Does anyone know of anyone that still makes old school power switches/buttons like this? I mean with the art deco styling, not just a beefy on/off switch. I'm restoring a few vintage machines that had all of their power switches replaced with standard light switches and they look like shit. EBay has them of course but they are $60+ and I don't have the budget for that.
>>
File: pb280447[1].jpg (1011 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
pb280447[1].jpg
1011 KB, 2560x1920
>>996283
Once like this would be fine too.
>>
File: s-l1000[1].jpg (104 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000[1].jpg
104 KB, 750x1000
>>996285
Does need to be new either, just the right look, working/repairable and cheap.
>>
I used the DPDT version of this on an old shaper I restored. Off/Forward/Reverse.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-motor-switches/=12hyaoy
>>
>>996312
Meant forward/off/reverse
>>
>>http://www.mcmaster.com/#enclosure-mounted-push-button-switches/=12hycdq
>>
File: 3933200.jpg (14 KB, 450x267) Image search: [Google]
3933200.jpg
14 KB, 450x267
>>996283
Lot of that kind of stuff is pretty scarce now, fairly much everyone had no regard for old electrical equipment over the last 100 or so years and its all ended up as landfill.
Taking what >>996314 suggested, you could mount switches like that in something like a die-cast aluminium box, get it powdercoated or painted to match the machine's colours and they'd look at least period.
>>
you can get that stuff on ebay cheap. You would be amazed what goes for 10 bucks when someone scraps out a factory.

Also alot of that stuff is still made to exact old specs. Alot of replacements require exact part number replacement to maintain certifications grandfathered from way back. So if you call up distributors and stuff with part numbers you would be surprised what is still available new in box. Just be ready to pay full fuck you industrial client prices.
>>
>>996337

also assuming your not an electrician and your not planning on doing anything electrical with it. Alot of the stuff from china that china actually uses and sells as industrial equipment is still like that. Just search ebay for push button box or operator push button station etc you will find what your looking for hilariously cheap.

Cant say i recommend actually using them anywhere near their rated voltage or with mains electrical grid connections.
>>
>>996340

assuming you are an electrician. The art deco china stuff should be fine if you remember the rating is bullshit and keep it low volts or 120vac from behind a control transformer.

It is on ebay, your just not looking correctly, I have loads of this stuff.
>>
>>996312
>>996314
Ouch, starts at $35 and goes up from there. The eBay stuff is looking more enticing

>>996343
Can you provide a few example searches to find this stuff on eBay? Clearly my search-fu is weak.

This stuff is all going to be used for 110v AC and probably under 10 amps.
>>
>>996349

I already posted a few, try all combinations of:

Push button
box
enclosure
operator
knock out box
control box
etc

The used stuff usually includes at least a few things that were installed in it, odds and end that all cost 100 bucks each list.

Are you an electrician? Some of the things has me uneasy about this whole thing.
>>
10 amps 120vac is no joke. Thats well above what i would consider using on chinese stuff. If you want to run those kinds of loads you want to use surplus industrial stuff.

Also just search used allen bradley, their stuff still looks old.

I'm having a hard time even giving you search advice because its so obvious, and I feel like if its not obvious to you maybe you shouldnt be doing this.

Throw the word "lot" on those combination of search terms for the deals. all this stuff is listed for crazy prices and it rarely sells but there are lots of deals if you are patient and keep searching 10-30 searches each week.

Also "din rail lot" tends to pull up gold, I've gotten a few and they have included like 5-10x the value of the auction for just a few of the odd bits that came with it. Like contactors and overload modules and E-stop relays.

and 35 dollars for a push button isn't expensive, thats actually really cheap. Gotta remember what this stuff is made for and how its made. This isn't meant for people who are worried about how much it costs. Its for people who are worried about how much one hour of downtime costs.
>>
search allen bradley cast enclosure, for one of the most art deco modern production push button boxes.
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (244 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
244 KB, 1600x1200
>>996366
Like I said, this is just for home and light industrial grade power tools. Old stuff. 1920s up through the early 70's. Many of them have household switches on them and, frankly, they look like crap. Stuff like pic related (reproductions) are closer to a household switch but even those cost $25 just for the switch plate.

>search allen bradley
Them and Cutler-Hammer seem to be the major suppliers of these things back in the day.
>>
>>996375

dont forget square d, eaton, westinghouse, and others I can't pull off the top of my head.

Westinghouse probably has the best style of what your looking for but its relatively rare.

Like i said this stuff all has crazy ask prices but if you look for lots/bags you can get a whole bag of shit for the price of one item. Its just gonna take time and research, you will find the deals.
>>
>>996392

Also all these names have merged and broken apart a 100 times, so just looking in their modern catalogs at product line names reveals alot of the old companies.

Like how when I said Allen bradley i forgot to mention, rockwell, because they own them now.

other players you might want to keep an eye on are, abb(which is different than ab), reliance, schnieder. weidmuller, rittal.

Those are just the ones that still exist so i remember them. If i can remember ill take a picture of some of the stuff i work with. It might give you some ideas for what to search for.

I regularly visit a machine full of components from the LOVE corporation, and its the most art deco shit ive ever seen.
>>
also search manual motor starter, you will find stuff, you might have to swap out the overloads based on what load you put on it.

Technically all the motors should be on motor starters with overloads anyway, but sounds like your already way way past the grey area of safety anyway with home diy rewired old equipment that had questionable safety to begin with.

I dont mean to be a prick but I just want to mention like 5 times that this is probably unsafe.
>>
>>996349
>industrial controls are expensive
No shit.

Look up "22mm switch" on amazon to find cheap Chinese import imitation pilot buttons/switches/lights:

www.amazon.com/Green-Momentary-Button-Switch-ZB2-EA31/dp/B009IQJY5Y/
http://www.amazon.com/YW1B-M1E11PR-Signal-Momentary-Button-Switch/dp/B008LT2Z7I/
www.amazon.com/Dimart-Control-Station-Switch-Protector/dp/B00PFB84K2/
www.amazon.com/Green-Momentary-Button-Switch-ZB2-BA3311/dp/B0097B6A9S/

Merry christmas.
>>
>>996413
Almost forgot: Automation Direct has the cheapest pilot buttons you can buy that aren't complete garbage.
>>
>>996395
I don't see why it would be unsafe. If you went out and bought a consumer level table saw today it would use the same type of switches. They are all capacitor starting induction motors. Same kind of stuff you find in power tools today. Or washing machines for that matter. You don't need a manual motor starter for a 2 horsepower table saw let alone a 1/4 HP scroll saw.
>>
>>996417

Your modern variant probably has a thermal overload internal to the motor.

Considering the last guy is using wall switches there is no telling what else has been removed, and those are the first time anyone has given any hp ratings.

AND this guy doesn't know what he is looking at. I'm basically just trying to get him to look at what is out there and realize he might want to read about the topic for a minute. If he knew what he was looking at he wouldn't be asking for basic search terms. There is loads of this stuff cheap but linking it almost seems like aiding in self injury.
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (145 KB, 1009x1500) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600[1].jpg
145 KB, 1009x1500
OP here.
>>996433
>those are the first time anyone has given any hp ratings.
>>996349
>This stuff is all going to be used for 110v AC and probably under 10 amps.
I thought I was pretty clear what the power limits would be. These are not industrial level motors. Single phase, 110 volts, fractional horsepower motors.

>Your modern variant probably has a thermal overload internal to the motor.
I have a bunch of old 1950's and 1960's motors and they all have thermal overload protection. These are little half HP motors too. Its been a bone standard feature for decades. Motors older than that tended to be repulsion-induction motors and didn't need thermal overload protection because their ampere draw at startup was lower than that of an induction motor. They also don't require capacitors. They never die. I've got an old Westinghouse that uses plain bearings and weighs about 40 pounds. It generates a staggering one half horsepower at 8 amps. Efficient it is not.

>If he knew what he was looking at he wouldn't be asking for basic search terms
I know what I'm looking for and I know how to find generic switches like picture related. What I want is old school looking art deco switches. I'm not looking for some high end industrial switches that cost $60 back in the day. I want the normal switches that came with the tools. You could walk into any power tool dealer's place back in th day and walk out with a nice tool with a badass looking switch. Not some plastic, Mattel looking turd like picture related.
>>
File: switched[1].jpg (100 KB, 530x799) Image search: [Google]
switched[1].jpg
100 KB, 530x799
>>996439
This is a 1970's Rockwell drill press. Its motors is 1/2 HP and that is the original switch from the factory.
>>
File: PICT7893[1].jpg~original.jpg (106 KB, 799x531) Image search: [Google]
PICT7893[1].jpg~original.jpg
106 KB, 799x531
>>996439
Craftsman motor from the 1950's. Notice the thermal protection reset switch.
>>
File: OperRight1400[1].jpg (197 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
OperRight1400[1].jpg
197 KB, 960x540
>>996439
Early 1960's DeWalt Power Shop 1400. I've had to take the switch on one of these apart and there is nothing side but bits of metal. Its just a switch. All the good stuff is in the motor.
>>
File: ts-switch-front[1].jpg (68 KB, 667x500) Image search: [Google]
ts-switch-front[1].jpg
68 KB, 667x500
>>996439
Here is a picture of what I don't want. That looks awful.
>>
>>996285
Just once?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.