[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I want to make a light bar for my pickup. My plan is to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: data:.jpg (15 KB, 336x336) Image search: [Google]
data:.jpg
15 KB, 336x336
So I want to make a light bar for my pickup.

My plan is to get 25 of those Chinese 100w leds and put them in a row. Attach the plastic dome lenses to the front to focus them. And that's as far as I got.

For this application, will I need to water-cool the LEDs?
After all it is 2500 watts or so I have the cool.

Should I bring in 120v and convert down at the LED to reduce wire size? Or just use big wires and buss bars?

Any experience with the cheapest of all 100w leds? They are probably all rejects, but they will still work sans 1 or 2 elements right?

How should I drive them?
>>
You will also need 25 led drivers. Check the input voltages.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEFneTFl6_4
>>
>>994348
why in fuck would you need 2500W LED in the first place? Protip: you don't.
>>
>>994348
Are they 100 watt leds, or 100 watt equivalent? Heat sinks on the back might work, definitely easier than water cooling. Some have heat sinks built in. It would entirely depend on how much heat they generate and how you have them enclosed.

2500 watts is a lot of power for lights
>>
>>994355
I was just going to build drivers for each LED. It's just two transistors and a resistor iirc.

The chips are 36v so about 70 amps.
Actually, that's just 6ga wire, or even two banks of 8ga. I probably won't need to step up the voltage to get it there.
>>
>>994357
Yeah I do. It will make it easier to see at night on the highway home.

>>994359
Watercooling doesn't seem too difficult. There's some cheap blocks for industrial equipment on eBay that can cover 3 LEDs and then I just tie it into the truck cooling system. I want this thing sort of compact and discreet.
>>
>>994363
You mean the truck cooling system thats running about 80-100*c? I think there might be issues there.
>>
Using 100C coolant will have those leds fried in 10 seconds or less
>>
>>994398
It was to my understanding, the max for the LEDs was 150c. 100c at worst water is fine if it transfers 80% efficiency.
>>
Either way, even if I have to make a separate cooling system for the light, it won't matter too much.

I suppose I should state my use case.

I'm planning on a lot of desert offroading at night and need lights anyway. So I might as well go hardcore with it. The previous video with 18 of them is exactly what I am looking for. Perfect visibility.

I don't think passive cooling will be compact enough to fit without looking stupid, but I'm open to try.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.