[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I own a house over 110 years old. I've had to replace 5
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: handle.jpg (2 MB, 1728x2304) Image search: [Google]
handle.jpg
2 MB, 1728x2304
I own a house over 110 years old. I've had to replace 5 windows. They are stiff and I'd like to get some handle for them so they are easier to open.

PIC related is what I have elsewhere in the house on some french doors. I'd like to find something identical or at least similar. I've been looking around ebay but no luck. Does an /diy/er have a good source for old handles?
>>
If you have the cash, there are services that will reproduce old hardware. Be prepared to have your ass thoroughly ravaged though.

Have you considered having the windows fixed? Chances are they are out of square due to age. Do they have counter weights in them?
>>
>>993936
The 5 windows in question where replaced 1.5 years ago. They are stiff because springs in the sides press against the window. This is a Good Thing as it creates a tight seal, preventing hot air from getting out.
>>
>>993951
If they're single pane it doesn't help too much.
>>
>>994448
ever heard of thermal window panes?
>>
they're cast.

unscrew one, and have someone make a mould, and cast in bronze. I could do it, but I'm unlikely in the same country (UK)

not going to be cheap though.
>>
Why don't you just unscrew them and make new door / window frames
>>
Why don't you burn down the house instead? That way you would get rid of your windows and that means you also get rid of all the problems.
>>
>>994714
I laughed way harder at this than I should have
>>
>>994481
Interesting idea.

Note that I'm not looking for something identical. If I can find something similar I'd be happy.

>>994712
>>994714
>>
>>993951
Yes, windows should have a good seal but they shouldn't be hard to open.
>>
>>994842
It's about leverage. There's no lip or handle to get your hand on. So you are pressing against the window frame as well as up.
>>
Make silicone molds of those nice handles, then make metal/resin/whatever copies. As many as you want.

Failing/nixing that, try thrift stores, flea markets, and definitely look into architectural salvage places.
>>
>>993923

Just nail a couple of bananas on the frame, bananas are designed to be gripped so make ideal handles for windows
>>
>>994828

See if someone can replicate the part (either handle sculpt another few sets or 3d scan and 3d print) and do some kind of lost casting to make some copies.
>>
Guess I should say : I'm not looking for something identical, though that would be nice. I would like something similar or at least contemporaneous.

I like the idea of casting, but a lost wax method would be a lot of work.
>>
>>994849
Why did you buy such poor windows?
>>
>>994980
Gotta love /diy/

>Hey, I need some help finding some handles
"OMG OP THOSE WINDOWS SUCK"
>but you've never even seen them
"DOESN'T MATTER I KNOW MY WINDOWS U SUCK"
>>
>>995334
underrated
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.