[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Health and safety. Would be pleased he's wearing his PPE.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
Health and safety. Would be pleased he's wearing his PPE.
>>
>>993789
wire isnt frayed.
whats the issue? not everyone drops their expensive power tools like you.
>>
>>993891
>extension lead falls 240 volts surges through the swimming pool.
>>
File: 6m0b6.gif (609 KB, 313x192) Image search: [Google]
6m0b6.gif
609 KB, 313x192
>>993891
>>
>>993897
>implying its 240
Im sure youre right, only a eurocuck would do this.
>>
>>993905
Got it from a English page on facebook. So you're correct.
>>
>>993897
GFCI
>>
>>993897
>electricity makes the entire pool live and provides a path through the man to some secret hidden ground somewhere, perhaps he is wearing an anti static wrist band instead of what would actually happen (nothing) because the electricity would go from the line in the tool to the neutral in the tool and cause a tiny if any potential differential through the water nowhere near the man is standing.

even just telling him to stand with his feet together would be overkill in this situation.
>>
>>993941
All it takes is a little water on the tool to short it out and go through him to the water which is grounded since it is an in-ground pool.

>>993920
Don't trust your life to shit like that.
>>
>>993789
How many cords does he have laying in that water?

Anyone who does pool maint. for a living should consider air tools.
>>
File: 1387193637147.jpg (12 KB, 319x322) Image search: [Google]
1387193637147.jpg
12 KB, 319x322
>>994006
>worked on pools for years
>electric submersible pumps would regularly get frayed ends
>reach in pool
>that tingle
>>
>>994011
Surely 110v ain't that bad?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcrY59nGxBg
>>
File: its over.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
its over.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>995030
In some ways the single phase 110-240v is actually worse than say, big nasty shit like 3-phase 400-600v
Someone touches the 3phase they'll get punted across the room like a cartoon character, get singed and bruised, maybe a bit fucked up but they'll live... sometimes.
The lower volts just sort of 'grabs' hold and then muscles contract so they can't let go, start literally cooking and there's not a lot you can really do easily to get them off it, so they cook a bit more while everyone runs around like comical mad cunts trying to find the mains switch.

Kinda smells like overcooked pork and burnt hair.
>>
>>995054

This. I'm just glad we didn't have any electric center pivots when I worked on the ranch. Too many stories of people being found still holding onto the clutch on the pump/generator on those things.
>>
File: 1459615702901.png (60 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1459615702901.png
60 KB, 1200x1200
>>994002
>device literally designed and engineered to save lives
>"Don't trust your life to shit like that."
>americans
when are you cucks going to start adopting 20th century technology like earth leakage protection and the metric system? i get that 110 is non-lethal but that shit still hurts.
>>
>>995091
110VAC can definitely be lethal. It usually isn't, but it definitely can be.
>>
>>995054

Electricity doesn't hold or throw people.

It is the reaction of the individuals muscles that determines his movements. The shock interferes with the signals to the muscles and it is really up to how it runs through your body that determines whether your fist tightens, your arm jerks back, your heart stops or you fall off a ladder.

There is also no such thing as touching 3 phase vs single phase unless you some how touch all 3 phases at the same time. Even when you have a cable running all 3 phases you actually have 4 cables insulated from each other within that cable. 3 lives (lines) and a neutral.
>>
>>993910
link to page?
>>
>>993897
voltage doesn't matter.

It is the Amps that kills you.
>>
>>993910
That one took me a minute.
>>
>>995118
Mains 240V 10A has enough of both to kill you.
>>
>>995125
But the device pulling the current determines amp
>>
>>995129
you dumb fuckers. even a led draws enough current to kill you. with 240v it has the power to transfer it to you. current = volts and resistance.

fucking dumbest phrase ever heard. pfft amps kill not volts? go touch a 100k high volt power line
>>
>>993789
Oh, great, another BS thread that has no DIY project involved.
>>
>>995030
110v is no fun.
But you have to understand that the current needs to use you as a conductor. In a pool the current is going to go through the water, to a drain and to earth rather then taking the longer route through you.

People have seen far to many movies where a toaster thrown in the bath tub instakills everyone near the tub. Sorry, but physics don't work that way.
>>
>>995133
PPE, OSHA, and general /diy/ safety is directly relevant to this board faggot.
>>
>>995142
PPE, OSHA
No it's not, although professional contractors
think it is. This this is not a professional LLC
board.
If you weren't all licking each others cocks
after having your gay and happy PPE chat
you might realize that.
>>
>>995147
You have some real interesting ideas about what a /diy/ board should be.
Real outside of the box thinker!
>>
>>995129
Not when it's shorted out dumbass
>>
>>995118
I fucking hate when people say this, also most don't even seem to realise that without enough voltage, the current isn't going to do fucking anything to you.
>>
>>995163
>Real outside of the box thinker!

No. It's called "OUTSIDE of the DIY forum thinking".

Protective gloves
steel toed boots
toxic solvents
respirators
inorganic pesticides
DOT certified fork lifts
UL listed whatever
blade guards
hazardous waste material
CFCs
RoHS compliant paramilitary CB radios
sharp edges on homemade baby cribs
wear your seatbelt and drive 55
... on and on and on,

This is a forum for building neat stuff, not discussing every conceivable safety concern or OSHA regulation in the
industrial workplace.

If you find a thread that needs a safety nag, fine, jump in with some reasonable advice.
>>
>>995175
I am THOROUGHLY impressed!

I hope you applied to be a janitor, you can work your way up into being a mod!
From there you can change the board rules and put a STOP to these non /diy/ threads like this one. There is no place on this board for professionals to talk about the trades!

Do me a favor, once you conquer this board will you PLEASE make it clear in the sticky that the off topic trash will no longer be accepted here.
Please make sure to remove the "ask questions regarding /diy/ topics and exchange ideas and techniques." out of the sticky, because discussions about safety, talking about tools, brainstorming ideas are just not welcome here.
Clearly the mods that we do have dont know what they are doing!

I cant wait for you to liberate this place, its like the people here have no clue!

Until then, keep going into every thread and telling them to go to other boards like you have done all night.
You are the hero /diy/ needs!
>>
>>995181
>Please make sure to remove the "ask questions regarding /diy/ topics and exchange ideas and techniques." out of the sticky, because discussions about safety,
talking about tools, brainstorming ideas are just not welcome here.

It is you who are TRULY IMPRESSIVE.
You have the ability to intersperse one thing actually mentioned: safety for the purpose of talking about safety BS,
with the other intrinsic innovative aspects of DIY, AND, also managed to put in a clever plug for the "Licenced Contractor Tool Time Chit Chat Show"
at the same time.

You should apply at Makita or DeWalt as a janitor and you can work your way up to being a marketing executive.
After that you can conquer DIY with brand name tool wars, industrial jargon, government regulation issues, and how to select a occupational trade school.
>>
>>995191
Oh look, I found the
>MILWOOOKIE
faggot who likes to derail every tool thread, claiming that this place is filled with shills.

I didnt know you had such distaste for this board, why are you even here then?
>>
File: UnNamed-Drill-Action-650x410.jpg (40 KB, 650x410) Image search: [Google]
UnNamed-Drill-Action-650x410.jpg
40 KB, 650x410
>>995192
>for the next step, you drill a hole on the left side of the board
>it will work with any brand drill, ive made sure not to trigger any of my fellow /diyp/ patrons with a quick edit to my pic
>>
>>995192
>faggot who likes to...
i think people know why ur here
>>
>>995199
Let it be known, I am here to tell any and every OP to go to other boards, unless it is an explicit project thread. And let it be known, if they dont censor their images, they are no better than a tool shill.

I am here to keep the sanctity of my vision for /diy/ alive.

It will only be a matter of time when my shitposts in tool or trades threads will scare off these posters. Through my hard work and sacrifice at 5am in the morning, I will make /diy/ great again.

Starting with killing off this thread, this this is not a professional LLC board. Want to talk safety, go back to community college pedro.
Come back when you are copying a KipKay project.
>>
>>995196

>implying that is enough censorship.

Everyone knows that is a Milwaukee fuel drill because no one else provides fuel power enough to drill through that hard wood like that. Fuel means gas and gas means v8 power
>>
OY! FUCKING RETARD CENTRAL IN ERE, OR WOT? WISEN THE FUCK UP, FUCKEN LOTTA YI.

BUNCH O FUCKING SPANGLES, AN NO FUCKING MISTAKE. STFU or GTFO, FUCKIN NONE`SENSE and GABAGE KILL YOUR FUCKING SELVES, EVERYLAST DAMN ONE OF YOU AND GIVE THE REST o US FUCKIN PEACE ALREADY. FFS.
>>
>>995203
>>995203
>Want to talk safety
Other posters are talking about safety, you just don't like the commentary.
Take your own advice: anything is open to discussion.
>>
>>995206
No you fucking chink shill retard, that's a Dewalt®. You need at least a 20 volt MAX® tool to make it through that wood.
>>
>>993891
How do you know there's not a split in the wire? You assume there is and err on the side of safety. Same reason you unplug all wires before winding them up, if there's a split anywhere you'll run your hand across it while you're winding.
>>
>>995111
onthetools cant post the link the spam thing is stopping me.
>>
>>995642
mfw I wind the wire up on my way to unplug it
>>
>>995174
Welcome to /diy/
>>
>>995054
I've been shocked by 120 probably 6 times and was able to let go instantly.
>>
>>995097
This guy knows. People mistakenly think that each phase of a three phase 480 VAC setup will have 480. The potential difference between any of the two will be 480 but only half that on one.
>>
>>995131
>What is lighting strike survivor? (Millions of volts)

It's literally the amps through the heart that kills. 0.2 amps through the heart can stop it.
>>
>>995129
>wouldn't touch a 1F capacitor charged to 3V because "hurr durr amps kill, not volts"

Touch the terminals of your microwave's 1uF capacitor if you think that "amps kill."
>>
>>995174
I think it's just meme trolling at this point.
>>
File: 1416959247151.jpg (13 KB, 389x198) Image search: [Google]
1416959247151.jpg
13 KB, 389x198
>>996397
>>
>>995129
1) You can't "pull current". Like almost everything in physics, current is pushed, not pulled. If I hold up a superconductor, it does not "pull" an infinite current out of the air.
2) Electrically, humans are pretty interchangeable.
>>
>>995141
>the current needs to use you as a conductor.
Humans in water are generally more conductive than the water, so standard parallel-resistor calculation applies.
>>
>>996385
>>995131
Lightning is static electricity, which is not the same thing as a constant-voltage supply like batteries or the mains.
>>
>>997036
Is right, your skin is only a good insulator when it's dry.
>>
>>995120
this would actually work though
>>
>>997037

People have been killed by lightning. People also have survived lightning strikes.

People have been killed by 110 and 220. People also have survived 110 and 220.

There are more variables than just HURR VOLTS VS AMPS WHICH KILLS YOU SCIENCE HAS GONE TOO FAR MR SKELTAL HELP
>>
>>995642

The only reason I unplug the wire to wind it up is so that the end can turn while being coiled so I don't actually twist the wire.
>>
>>995091

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/window.asp
>Inb4 >Snopes

Safety equipment is intended to protect you when best practices fail. Fall Arrestors are the last defense for when non-slip shoes, staying the fuck away from the edge and keeping your center of gravity low fail to keep you from slipping.

I don't need to throw my hand against the blade guard to prove my equipment is safe, just like I don't have to bathe with my toaster to prove my GCFI works.

I understand you're trying to be humorous, but don't mock safety, that shit's the reason tort law has gone to hell.
>>
>>993789
Rubber boots = nothing would happen, they insulate him.
He could even reach in for the grinder if it fell. It would hurt like hell, but no kill.
>>
any one here ever heard of an isolation transformer? Separates you from the mains and ground return loops. the wires feeding the tool only have voltage ( and current ) relative to each other, not to ground

i have and use a 240 volt 20 amp rated isolation transformer whenever i work with wet items
>>
>>999046
You do realise that if there is a potential difference between the two wires, at least one of them has to have a potential difference relative to ground? If both wires were neutral to the ground at the same time there would be no current flow.
>>
>>994011
My father got almost killed by a pump when he was building the house. There was like three men working in some big water, and they all got out.

My father got back first and he checked the water for something, that's when he felt something is fucked up.

They could have been all electrocuted for good.
Fokken pumps, man.

>>993891
We used a properly certified, well made extension cord at the company. It was in use for years, but it was never used tangled, always were used gently, etc.

One time we worked on some PLC, and had to go back to the car to check something. On the way I saw a red glow in the cable, like it had a LED or something.
Yeah, cable had a break in it... we would have made a nice fire...
>>
>>995097

>There is also no such thing as touching 3 phase vs single phase unless you some how touch all 3 phases at the same time

you haven't seen inside a lot of electrical panels eh? There is a video around that shows some maintenance guy dropping a spanner which hits two bus bars (L1+L2 presumably) and throws him back and kills him.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.