[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So these small nuts broke loose from my laptop screen frame.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
So these small nuts broke loose from my laptop screen frame. Was thinking of giving superglue a try but I think the bond will be too weak.

You got a better solution? Let's hear it!
>>
>>993732
since the plastic rings seem broken i would recommend using epoxy glue and glue the metal to the frame itself.
>>
Replace the plastics. There is nothing that will work better.

Once new plastics are installed, check the screw tightness regularly. Loose screws are the only real reason the plastics fail over time to the point the retainers fall out. Screen hinges put a lot of force on those screws, so they wiggle out over time, which gives the motion more leverage and wobbles the retainer intul it splits the plastic and the whole thing falls to bits.

Ugh, you might, and I emphasize MIGHT, get away with hot melting new plastic into the holes, then use a soldering iron to melt the retainers into the new plastic, but it would still be a shit patch, and likely fail again within two or three open/closings of the lid.

Time to cost ratio = cheaper to get new plastics and swap the parts over.

Source: Repairing far too many laptops over the years, commercially and for family.
>>
Cheap ugly solution: drill holes through both sides of the frame, add some material to make the hinge snug against both sides, sandwich it with metal plates, bolt them together.
>>
>>994008
This, glue wont work. Too little surface area.
>>
File: DSC_0094.jpg (128 KB, 1072x712) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0094.jpg
128 KB, 1072x712
>>993732
>>993740
>>994238
If those solutions don't work, a replacement screen bezel can be bought on ebay for real low cheap. Type the model number into eBay and see what comes up, i'm guessing no more that 20smeckles including postage. Changing out the bezel is straight forward, some manufacturers even have a maintenance manual with step by step instructions available to download.
>>
>>993732
I had the exact same thing happen to a laptop, ripping the little barrel connectors out making the hinge stop working.

It actually happened on BOTH sides because one side went, you ignored it and eventually the other did.

>took the threaded barrel connector to hardware store
>found the correct sized bolts (micro sized shit, like 2mm) as the originals but were much longer
>put the barrel connectors back into the computer case where they ripped out
>drill hole all the way through the back of the case
>JB weld the barrel connector in its original spot
>use new bolts to attach the hinge to the barrel connector, through the back of the case
>put a washer and a nut on the end of the bolt, outside of the case, maybe slather JB weld on that too

You can tighten the fuck out of it, and when it all dries it isnt going anywhere.
Cost me less than 5$ to do it, but that laptop wasnt worth much to me in the first place. Its my garage laptop now.
>>
>>993732
Computer shop fag here.
JB weld is the best option fallowed by good epoxy or high temp hotglue.

Glue the brass nuts in there original location with as much of the surrounding intact that you can. A easy trick to prevent the glue/epoxy/JBweld from getting in the screw holes is apply it with the screws in.

You can also cheat a little on some hinges. There is a nut on the end of some that you can loosen to lower the resistance of the hinge.

Combine lowering the resistance of the hinge with well applied epoxy or JBweld leads to a repair that holds up very well.

That being said the "correct" repair would be to buy a replacement bezel behind the screen.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.