[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>He doesn't live in a shipping container What's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 23
File: 05-8jSRcXn.jpg (195 KB, 750x421) Image search: [Google]
05-8jSRcXn.jpg
195 KB, 750x421
>He doesn't live in a shipping container

What's wrong with you?

Do you do anything yourself?
>>
>>992866

shipping containers are more trouble then they worth

move along
>>
>>992868
>shipping containers are more trouble then they worth
Why? They're only $2,000
>>
>>992869

transportation, plumbing, electric installation, heat isolation, water proofing, reinforcement, interior design etc. etc.
>>
>>992873
What's a cheaper option though? The lumber for a cabin costs tens of thousands of dollars.
>>
>>992874
What treeless desert do you live in where lumber for a shipping container size cabin would cost that much?
>>
File: 1462312456614.jpg (727 KB, 766x1200) Image search: [Google]
1462312456614.jpg
727 KB, 766x1200
THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER THIS MEME IS CANCER
>>
>>992876
That's what the jewish man at the lumber yard told me.
>>
Where I live, a shipping container would never be passed by a building inspector for permanent habitation, doesnt matter how much work you do to it.
>>
>>992866
But I do.
>>
>>992882
>Living somewhere where you have to deal with building inspectors

sounds like slavery desu senpai
>>
>>992866
because codes, nowhere around here would let you have a shipping container on your property indefinitely.
>>
>>992898
That's a real shitty way of trying to excuse redneck degeneracy.
>>
>>992898
Better than living in a fucking shipping container. Just build a normal house for less money
>>
>>992928
>freedom
>redneck degeneracy
canada pls
>>
I live in Finland
>>
>>992884

i'm going to need proofs m8

On a more serious note, if you really do, could you post pic and/or describing what's better or worst than regular houses by your experience?
>>
>>992878
>Jewish
Theres your problem
>>
>Round window in the back
>>
>Building a house

Why? Just buy a place and get a mortgage. It's better to pay a bunch of small monthly payments then to drop down the enormous amount of cash required to install plumbing, power, etc, and that's not even the huge cost of making the house itself.
>>
>>992869

because you have to frame out the inside, add insulation and GWB, and at that point you basically have a standard exterior wall assembly, but inside a fucking shipping container.
>>
>>993095
>It's better to pay a bunch of small monthly payments
>small monthly payments
>small
What is a large monthly payment in your dictionary?
>>
>>992866
>>>992869
>
>because you have to frame out the inside, add insulation and GWB, and at that point you basically have a standard exterior wall assembly, but inside a fucking shipping container.
This is the truth. It should really end everyone of these shity threads.
>>
>>992869
>fancy designer builds a showcase shipping container home, to show the possibilities of low-cost/recycling/eco-sensitive living
>home involves a ton of work, filled with designer finishes, placed on prime overlook property
>total cost $200K
mfw
>>
>>993213
Anything over 1,500
>>
File: ebin dbz gril.png (549 KB, 600x631) Image search: [Google]
ebin dbz gril.png
549 KB, 600x631
Guys we're all going to go live in a missile silo remember? 150 of us are going to live in a cramped toxic death pit
>>
File: ShippingContainerHomes.jpg (36 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
ShippingContainerHomes.jpg
36 KB, 550x366
>>992869
$2000 shipping container (looks like more than one in OPs pic). Finished with $250,000 of premium architectural materials, sitting on a large, wooded, $250,000 lot.

Yeah, right.
>>
>>993329
>150 of us are going to live in a cramped toxic death pit

College dorm.
>>
>>992866
That picture is fake as all hell.
>>
File: apartment_traditional.jpg (70 KB, 550x397) Image search: [Google]
apartment_traditional.jpg
70 KB, 550x397
>>993368
Those don't look any worse than normal buildings.
>>
File: AWqyHqk.jpg (170 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
AWqyHqk.jpg
170 KB, 2560x1440
>you will never live in a comfy af cyberhouse
>>
>>993368
>>
>>993759
You forgot to add 'in third world countries.
>>
>>993772
Yeah, and the fact the dump in pic was considered as an eyesore even there.
>>
>>993761
Source?
>>
>>994778
Tron kek
>>
>>993772
>>993774

Take this crap over to /pol/ there's gotta be at least a few people who will agree rusty old shipping containers are ugly. Then you can
pat yourself on the back that you've contributed something amazing to to the public knowledge base.
>>
>>993761
1. Live in normal house
3. Fill will ugly buy comfy AF furniture, don't bother with any decorations
3. Put AR tracking markers everywhere
4. Put on VR headset
5. Activate AR vision
6. Never remove headset
7. Enjoy comfy AF cyber house.
>>
>>992942
>normal house
>less money

Pick one
>>
>>993095
It's called a loan you dip
>>
>>992874
>What's a cheaper option though?
Not living in shipping containers.
>>
>>992866
They're not shipping containers, they're wooden sheds designed to shipping container dimensions.
>>
Why would anyone want to live in something that is 8ft wide?
You need at least 10ft not to feel cramped.
>>
File: >in a van.jpg (563 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
>in a van.jpg
563 KB, 1280x1024
Before I even consider getting a shipping container, I'd rather live in a campervan pissing into jugs.

Having a boathouse sounds also great at first, until you realize you live in a fucking boat.
>>
I live on a 23ft boat I picked up for £2400 for 1 person is absolutely perfect. Been in here almost a year and its great.
>>
I live on a 23ft boat I picked up for £2400 for 1 person is absolutely perfect. Been in here almost a year and its great. Especially if you can do all the work yourself.
>>
File: boatjack_horseman.jpg (82 KB, 1230x692) Image search: [Google]
boatjack_horseman.jpg
82 KB, 1230x692
>>995217
Doesn't it get wobbly in there?
Do you live on land like in pic related?
How does it feel to be a captain?
Are you taking me on a ruse cruise?
>>
>>995221
Not really too much being on a river. You get used to the movement of the boat after a while and its quite nice.
Live on the boat full time, its sweet lol being 23ft x about 6ft 10" and made of grp I have a log burner and a proper oven, efficient 12v fridge, instant gas boiler for hot water and shower, a double bed and a sofa area lol.

Lots of people dont think of living on boats and through chance I got a job working with boats and got my own. Having looked a lot into all forms of alternative living and stuff for a number of years the boat seemed perfect.
>>
File: simons susie libra.jpg (44 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
simons susie libra.jpg
44 KB, 800x600
Same model as mine but image from google. Amazing amount of space and super cheap living.
>>
>>995226
How much's harbor rent tough?
Do you own land with water access?

Anyway this sounds sweet. Good on ya.
>>
>>995231
My mooring is £149 a month, then I also pay £40 a month for shorepower electricity which is unmonitored and there is water access and toilets here too. Wish I owned some land but really for under £200 a month you cant knock it.

To take it out I need to get a river liscence which is about £260 for the year but ill do all that once Ive got everything perfect. Little 10hp 4 stroke honda engine on the back for good fuel effiecency on the rivers and there are places I could moor for free but its nice to be at a boatyard and have electricity and water near by.
>>
>>995229
You should get a guest-house-boat and become an Admiral.

Any interior pics?
>>
File: only the best.jpg (387 KB, 1728x1254) Image search: [Google]
only the best.jpg
387 KB, 1728x1254
>>995249
>>995229

Do it, Capp'n!
>>
>>993761
>tfw i wont have the entire first floor as one open living area and 1 bathroom in a corner
>tfw i wont have half of my first floor wall roll up into the ceiling
>tfw i wont have my entire second story as one giant studio bedroom

the layout of the building is what gives me a boner
>>
>>992874
M O B I L E. H O M E

Find a used double wide trailer for less than 10g, bust out the interior walls to open the entire thing up, and build new walls to make a more open space. New walling, hardwood flooring, etc, may end up costing you less than 20k.

You can, on the other hand, try to cram your life into a $40k single shipping container where your toilet is in your shower and your kitchen doesn't have a full stove.
My favorite cheap living idea is to get a 25x25 steel building that's around 20ft tall, and insulate/finish the inside like a house, complete with an upstairs bedroom and a loft.
>>
File: 1463716034511.jpg (1 MB, 5628x3348) Image search: [Google]
1463716034511.jpg
1 MB, 5628x3348
>>996007
what about a tugboat?
>>
>>996022
Not all of us live in boat friendly climates.
>>
>>996007
Living in a shipping container or a tiny house is hip, young, refreshing, bucking normal convetions, you are in touch, modern, aware

Living in a single or double wide trailer, is, well, trash, who wants to be trailer-trash and live in a trailer park, might as well get a pit bull and start a family with my sister and my daughter, be sure to remove a few teeth

Only things lower than living in a trailer is living in a car (van living is also cool and hip) or living in a cardboard box under an overpass

Jesus a trailer, give me that underpass any day

Lastly g_d hates trailers, hurricanes, tornadoes, never hear about container or tiny homes getting exploded into bits, g_d hates trailer trash
>>
Why go through the pain of doing up a container when you can buy a small RTM?
>>
>>996040
First of all, who gives a flying fuck what you look like. Currently, ~50% of twentysomethings still live with their parents. Fuck that. I just bought some land and put my trailer where it isn't visible from the road or the neighbor's houses. I'll be living there until I've got the money saved up to build a house on this land

Also, this "g_d" character sounds like a real bitch to deal with. Good thing we haven't met.
>>
File: space-dandy-2-ep01-truckers.png (593 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
space-dandy-2-ep01-truckers.png
593 KB, 1200x675
>>996007
How about building a small home from a truck's interior?
That'd be sweet I imagine.
>>
File: adam-kalkin-old-lady-house-4.jpg (128 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
adam-kalkin-old-lady-house-4.jpg
128 KB, 800x531
>>993761
>>
File: adam-kalkin-old-lady-house-2.jpg (204 KB, 800x546) Image search: [Google]
adam-kalkin-old-lady-house-2.jpg
204 KB, 800x546
>>996191
http://www.quik-build.com/quikHouse/QuikHouseBooklet.pdf
>>
>>995209
My dream is to refit a old 100-150' fishing trawler or cargo ship into a house and put a crane on it so I can take a car with me
>>
File: Castle-Truck-Foldout-2.jpg (58 KB, 600x315) Image search: [Google]
Castle-Truck-Foldout-2.jpg
58 KB, 600x315
>>995209
Livin down by the river sounds nice...with the right van.
>>
>>992866
https://vimeo.com/147232218
>>
>>995209
Wow, they actually included the piss jars in this pic.
>>
File: borealis.jpg (558 KB, 1280x578) Image search: [Google]
borealis.jpg
558 KB, 1280x578
>>996351
This sounds awesome.
Far better than living in a bunker for example.

I think you might have upgraded my plans for an ideal retreat.
>>
>>995209
>toire
>toire
>toire
Lost it
>>
>>996657
>This sounds awesome.
Until you have to refuel it.
>>
File: objection.jpg (11 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
objection.jpg
11 KB, 360x360
>>996718
>Until you have to refuel it.

This only happens if I ever win the lottery that is life.
It implies I'd also have enough money to afford fuel long-term.

Also it'd be stationary most of the time.
Plus it would need to be at proximity to some shore,
since sat-internet sucks major league with the latency and costs associated.

But yeah solid counter-argument, a yacht would be less effort in terms of fueling.
>>
>>996751
If you want something more achievable then look for a smaller full-displacement trawler and a motorcycle. If you don't mind sacrificing speed for fuel efficiency then you can get something that does 7kt. @ 1gph
>>
>>993761
The tron sequel I think.

I imagine many issues with temp control and vermin
>>
File: Red-Shipping-Container-Home.jpg (534 KB, 728x483) Image search: [Google]
Red-Shipping-Container-Home.jpg
534 KB, 728x483
>>
>>996919
>>
>>996891
>not having a space heater
>not having a cat
>>
>>996040
>>996007
>>996101
Yeah, the real downside of trailers is 90% on a trailer park. which is a scam and a trap. the point of buying is that mortgage payments are generally significantly less than rent. when you add a $600 ground rent to a $300 mortgage payment for a 30k trailer, you might as well buy a regular sized fixer upper house with an $120k mortgage and pay the same $900/month.
Also, the reason tiny houses are popular, is that trailers are designed to be cheap to make @ trailer trash, and not ergonomic or efficient use of space. Small stuff like insulating the floor can add a lot of comfort, but it's easier to do when building than trying to tear out the floor and retrofit.
>>
File: 1 (2).jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1 (2).jpg
7 KB, 259x194
>>997009
Yeah I was looking to buy an rv for living in at school. A place to park it is like 500/month. What the fuck is up with that. I can rent a room for $400/month including utilities.

Kikes, kikes everywhere.
>>
>>997009
> $120k for a "average sized fixer upper"
OK, where the fuck? Average sized needs-work houses in my area are around 50k

Also, tiny houses don't address the use of space in an innovative way in order to challenge trailers - if they wanted to do that, they'd use the same concepts, but build at the same size as trailers: 700+ sq ft. Anything less is simply not an option for someone who has to store a vacuum cleaner, home appliances, pet food, a toolkit, etc. Tiny houses make good RVs and that's about it. Half the tiny homes I've toured would require a significant back porch, covered and somewhat sheltered, just so you could have a place to put a washer/dryer
>>
>>993759

Man way to go RC Cola. Kicking some ass with the locals.

I lived in a third world country for a bit. There were amazing 16 story high rises next to tin roof shanties.
>>
>>997219

I hate to respond to you and your anti-semite bullshit, but this is an interesting article on why trailer parks are such expensive ass places to live

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/may/03/owning-trailer-parks-mobile-home-university-investment
>>
>>992866
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQGd2AlSPh8
>>
Why not build a shipping container out of pallets, and line it with altoids tins for insulation? You can laser cut any parts you might need, too. 3d printers can spit out all the plumbing fixtures and stuff you'd need, as well.
>>
>>998006

JIDF detected
>>
>>995178
It can be if you're not an invalid. Plus you don't have to live in a fucking cube
>>
>>992876
Phoenix, wiseass. Even cactus lumber cost a lot.
>>
Is this the new craze that came after tiny houses and burying shipping containers? Do I at least get a pump and dump crypto coin if I build a shipping container tiny house?
>>
>>998251
Where do I store the crab meat?
>>
>>997009
> 90% on a trailer park

not around here, no, almost everyone who owns a trailer just buys an acre of land and lives on it there. Trailer parks are looked down on.
>>
>>996193
basic kit $76k+ aaaand that settles it, can buy a massive used double wide a few years old for that.
>>
If you are serious about using shipping containers, shut up and build using them because no valid questions about them are ever posted on /diy/.

If you are serious, you already studied their successful and UNsuccessful use cases, their construction, how they are modified. permitting if required, and so forth.

If you are serious, you already found ways to get experience working with them such as building the fucking shop you need to construct your home or other structure. You know how easy they are to join, and you know how to roof over and why you should.
>>
>>996657
You'd better be fucking good at marine repair and maintenance because paying for it is NOT cheap.
>>
>>999155
This. The only reason Chinks can do tons of shipping of their shit is because their government keeps marine shit artificially cheap.
>>
>>992866
I would live in that cabin so fucking hard.
>>
>>996919
Honestly love the way the red pops out there, but of course it's all about the location for this type of thing, wouldn't look right anywhere not at least somewhat tropical/subtropical.
>>
>>999155
But if you only plan to live in it, not go out to sea most of the repair isn't super important so long as it floats.

Good luck finding somewhere to park something that huge though lol. Even a 30' slip is gonna be like $300+/month, if you can even find a marina that allows liveaboards.
>>
>>998083
why?
>>
Why not go for a sips steel frame house? Kit is $7k - $38k depending on how fancy you get it, put it on a $7k concrete slab, spend $3k setting up a septic tank, another $5k in permitting, $35k for wiring and sheetrock and plumbing and floors and fixtures and shit, and if you buy a fancy half acre of land in a good location to do it you may spend $25k on that, or you can buy 3-5 acres out in the boonies for the same price, and all in spend $100k for an actually usable house that won't look like a filthy hippie lives in it and it may, quite possibly, have some semblance of a resale value when you sorry out for adventure in Alaska or something.
>>
>>995236
where are you moored roughly?
>>
>>992866
>>
>>996351
My dream is to work my way up from third mate to captain, save money and buy such a ship, and just never fucking touch land again.

Travelling around like fucking Serenity in Firefly, taking on odd transport jobs to remote locations and generally living the life aboard a working ship.

>aint no laws out in international waters
Well there are, but literally who is going to knock on your door for lighting up while anchored around some no-name islet?
>>
>>995229
How dank and musty is it really? Do you empty your septic in the marina through some system of tubes and pipes, or do you go offshore and dump there?
>>
>>993371
Woman's restroom
>>
>>998083
what was the point of that?
>>
>>999000
Double trips referencing an epic troll. You win the internet today.
>>
>>996193
Thanks for the PDF anon!
>>
How about this kind of place in a shipping container.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB2-2j9e4co
>>
>>1000000
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.