[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any way to weaken the strength of a binder clip?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: binder clip.jpg (63 KB, 956x1038) Image search: [Google]
binder clip.jpg
63 KB, 956x1038
Is there any way to weaken the strength of a binder clip?
>>
Open it farther than it's supposed to with pliers?
>>
>>992198
Currently attempting.
>>
>>992203
Shit. It snapped away from the pliers and I lost it. Getting another binder clip.
>>
>>992207
Continuing attempt
>>
>>992198
It's a little weaker I guess but it's not as weak as I need it to be.
>>
>>992196
Heat, getting it so hot it almost starts to glow will soften the metal.
>>
If you have a grinder or a file you can grind away part of the back side of it. That'll make it much less stiff.

Trying to pry it back with a pliers is probably a bad idea though, since even the best case scenario would probably mean that it won't fully close anymore.
>>
>>992215
I don't have that level of tools

>>992221
Will a regular metal file work?
>>
>>992224
>I don't have that level of tools

you don't have a propane grill? a fireplace?
>>
>>992233
I have a regular grill and it can't get that hot.
>>
>>992196
If you heat it up it won't be a spring anymore. Try the file, it shouldn't really work, but it probably will. Try to file it evenly.
>>
>>992244
>it shouldn't really work, but it probably will
What's that supposed to mean
>>
>>992244
>>>992196 (OP)
>If you heat it up it won't be a spring anymore.
It should still work, just have no clamping force when closed, right? That's assuming it doesn't warp too much when heated up
>>
>>992224
Yes, it would be best if the file had a round side that you could use, instead of being rectangular. But any file should work.
>>
>>992196
You cut the flat bottom of it in half, that will weaken it's strength.
>>
>>992241
What?
Like a charcoal grill?

To get it hotter all you need is more air getting into the coals there are many videos on youtube showing how to make a charcoal furnace

They get hotter than shit and they are easy enough to make
>>
>>992196
Drill some holes trough the back side.
>>
>>992246
It means it's probably shit steel, hardened and tempered shittily, just enough to work... a little.
>>
>>992248
It's dicey. It may act like you're saying, it it may just bend and not close at all.

>>992329
If you can still holes in it, and it's easy, and it doesn't crack, it's definitely shitty steel. But it may just work.

They're cheap OP, buy a half dozen and experiment. Report back, I'm kind of interested.
>>
While this is all very interesting academically, is there some kind of novel application you're aiming for? Or are you just doing this for shits and giggles?
>>
>>992196
Stick it in a vise with the solid end sticking out and the wires sticking into the vise, so you have good access to the solid end. Get an angle grinder with a cutting or grinding wheel and cut one or more notches in the end. Cut a little ways into the sides to help avoid stress concentrations that could lead to cracking. Deburr with a jeweler's file.
>>
Probably wants to put it on his nipples or balls.
>>
>>992359
Exactly. Leave it a little springy. It's no fun if there's no pain, OP. Try putting it on the oven at 500°. That should leave enough spring to have him/her squirming sufficiently.
>>
>>992340
I'm thinking of clamping the side of my laptop monitor to get rid of a green tint
>>
>weaken the strength of a binder clip?
i drill small holes into the back side (curved side). more holes the less stiff it is.
>>
A regular power drill was not enough to drill into the metal. Now trying the file.
>>
>>992468
What about a chip clip or clothespin?
>>
>>992553
What?!
Put some tape down on the surface and use your body weight but slowly goes it.
>>
>>992606
I don't have clothespins and don't know what chip clips are.
>>
File: K0959 (3).jpg (39 KB, 458x452) Image search: [Google]
K0959 (3).jpg
39 KB, 458x452
slide binder
>>
File: 1463062455420.jpg (159 KB, 1074x747) Image search: [Google]
1463062455420.jpg
159 KB, 1074x747
>>992615
>>
>>992645
That... just might work.
>>
>>992213
just use something to pry it open farther than it's normally supposed open.
do this repeatedly until you can feel its clamping effect becoming waker.
shouldn't take much.
OP, this is one of those things that should be fairly intuitive.
>>
>>992714
I've been doing that. That was the first thing I thought of but it's still very strong. It has gotten weaker though but not weak enough.
>>
File: 1459053931797.jpg (146 KB, 521x547) Image search: [Google]
1459053931797.jpg
146 KB, 521x547
>>992645

Wang hangers?
>>
>>992645
A metal one worked perfectly. Thanks.

I tried sanding off the edges of the binder clip, and then keeping it way open overnight which made it so that it didn't close completely which would be fine but it was weakened too much and too open so that it didn't get a strong enough hold on the side.
>>
those things are made of "Spring Steel" a very stubborn metal when formed into it's final shape. all the tension in this clamp comes from the two shoulder creases at the top. Open the clamp and somehow keep it wide open, place it against a firm backing then with a nail punch or a fat ass nail, place it in the center of each crease and a sharp blow with a hammer will weaken the crease and hence the grip strength. Wadda ya think?
>>
>>992718
then pry it open some more times. I've literally done this exact thing to every typical "office sized" binder clip I've ever had or used (i like to fiddle with things)
It really doesn't take that much.
>>
>>992468
>gren tint
?
>>
>>992196
wrap the handle with a rubber band
>>
>>992196
I love how a question that should'nt need to be asked turns into an interesting thread on /diy/

>when you're browsing 4chan, but arguably not wasting your time.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.