[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
concrete pipe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: il_570xN.927379857_s9xx.jpg (44 KB, 570x428) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.927379857_s9xx.jpg
44 KB, 570x428
I want to surprise one of my friends with a homemade pipe. I'm considering concrete as a material. Does anyone have any experiences or thoughts on that?
>tl;dr is it possible to make a concrete weedpipe?
>>
>>991919
Yes it's possible. I don't know anything about pipes, but I think you'd want to start by making a "mold" of the inside of the pipe, and then form the concrete around that. You'd make the concrete into the approximate shape and then sand and polish it to the desired smoothness
>>
>>991924
Also, use small aggregate, or even just use mortar, ie sand is the only aggregate
>>
>>991924
sanding is no option, the mix I use is hard like glass when completely dry
my biggest concern is that it may contain some nasty chemicals
>>
>>991927
You can sand hardened concrete, but it takes a while. I'm curious what you mean though as far as your mix. Can you post either where you got it, if it's premade, or what you are using as aggregate and binder?
>>
>>991930
It's premade, the exact ingredients are of course kept secret by the manufecturer. It has some kind of fibres though.
>>
>>991933
Can you post where it's from?
>>
>>991935
Don't have the original bag at hand :(
My university got it for a concrete workshop from a sponsoring company.
>>
i would try and make a pipe like this so the smoke is more cooled.
you could make a mold of the inside and when its done just drill a hole in the side for your finger
>>
>>991942
>glass
>good thermal conductor
>burning weed in glass
>holding glass

Ain't shit getting cooled at all senpai. These are meme pipes for tumblr hoes.
>>
>>991944
glass is best for weed pipes because it's easily cleaned though. You just have to use salt and alcohol and everything comes off.
>>
>>991944
you seem like a scholar, what are your thoughts on concrete?
>>
>>991951
Fuck concrete, you want unglazed porcelin
>>
>>991933

>fibers

probably fiber glass or some sort of polymer (read plastic) strand

Either of those being burnt and entering your lungs would be significantly worse than your tobacco.
>>
>>991947
>You just have to use salt and alcohol and everything comes off.

Local smoke shop has tons of glass for $20 or less. Prices must have dropped significantly. What I used to spend $80 is now $18. I don't have the motivation to clean them anymore.
>>
>>991974
I've used synthetic fibers in concrete on many an occasion, and I can confirm that they do in fact burn very easily. I can't speak to whether it would be dangerous though.
>>
>>991919
Don't use concrete with fibers, they do burn really easily, you don't want their smoke in your lungs.

I'd create a mold, cast the pipe and drill the hole with a diamond drill. The small drill bits are really cheap and should create a nice finish. I've used a similar technique to create sculptures and jewelry.
>>
id use clay Instead of Concrete
>>
File: eZn5TYt.jpg (347 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
eZn5TYt.jpg
347 KB, 1920x2560
>>991919
I made this one almost a year a go out of cast aluminum. I would suggest that instead.
>>
>>993974
It's not a good idea to smoke out of aluminum. Stainless steel is what you need
>>
I wouldn't recommend smoking out of a pipe made of concrete.

I feel like parts could end up breaking off and getting inhaled, and I don't know if holding a flame to concrete wouldn't end up releasing toxic chemicals.
>>
>no drugs or drug paraphernalia

Anyway, it's possible, but make sure to get the bubbles out with a vibrator or a vacuum chamber.
>>
>>994100
Why not? Other than aluminum being a better thermal conductor and thus getting quite hot?
>>
>>994118
Hot Aluminum = Cyanide. no joke.
>>
>>994127
I call BS on this, half the shit used on my stove and in my oven is aluminum.
>>
>>994127
Are you trolling or just stupid? How the fuck do you expect to get CN- from Aluminum?

Hot aluminum, big surprise here.... Is hot aluminum.
>>
File: 1461636659589.jpg (6 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1461636659589.jpg
6 KB, 251x251
Op's friend's face when be gets suprised by a shitty concrete pipe
>>
>>991944
actually i have one myself, works like a charm
>>
>>994127
Don't you mean mustard gas?
>>
>>994208
sounds like youve got some ungrateful friends. normal people appreciate the fact that a friend took time to make something for them
>>
>>991944
Glass pipes dissipate heat better than other popular smoking pipe materials (metal)
>>
>>993974
Looks like a buttplug
>>
>>995357
hahaha
squeeze your ass while lighting the weed to suck the smoke up your ass.
>>
>>993974
aluminum fumes are toxic senpai.
Thats why welders avoid working with it.
And by heating up said aluminum you are literally berating in toxic fumes.
It's been linked with metal toxicity syndrome and links to Alzheimer
>>
>>995403
No, they avoid working with it because they can't get qualified on the procedures.

But seriously, the big risk with aluminum welding is argon and ozone exposure. The Alzheimers and aluminum connection has been disproven (or rather was never actually proven in the first place).
>>
>>995506
Aluminum deposits on brain crust in every Alzheimer patient ever.
>No correlation once so ever la la la la I'm not listening therefore its not true.
>>
>>995688
>correlation
Causation is the thing to worry about, you see. Aluminum composes over 8% of Earth's crust, and is naturally present in the human body from environmental exposure. Chrome is far more toxic to breathe, and stainless welding typically doesn't require any special precautions because most welding processes don't spew vaporized metal all over the place. Aluminum isn't welded much because it requires more expensive equipment than steel, the metal is more expensive, it's much more difficult to weld well, and there is much less demand for welding it.

Also:
>once so ever
It's "whatsoever".

>>995506
Argon is not a toxicity hazard at all. Aluminum can be an irritation hazard to lungs in large amounts, but the exposure limit to it is 50x the limit for ozone. Ozone can be a hazard in enclosed spaces, but again, it's not usually a problem.
>>
File: 95RFwKF.jpg (107 KB, 499x887) Image search: [Google]
95RFwKF.jpg
107 KB, 499x887
>>994208
>Op's friend's face when be gets suprised by a shitty concrete pipe
>Fix'd
>>
>>991944
Glass is not a good thermal conductor. Metal is a good thermal conductor. Also see: bricks.
>>
>>996076
Is that Becky?
>>
File: bamboo-eco-bong.jpg (323 KB, 600x1067) Image search: [Google]
bamboo-eco-bong.jpg
323 KB, 600x1067
bamboo bongs
>>
File: images.jpg (2 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
2 KB, 259x194
or pipes
>>
>>993974
Shoulda done bronze
>>
>>991919
Clay and fire it in an oven , there's also clay that u can fire in ur microwave oven . Also I think it'll be a better finished product
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.