[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seized basin tap spindle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: seized_tap_spindle.jpg (72 KB, 502x725) Image search: [Google]
seized_tap_spindle.jpg
72 KB, 502x725
So I needed to change over the washers in my basin taps and thought "no big deal, I've done this enough times before at other houses I've lived in", but the tap spindle in this one is seized and stuck pretty damn firmly. I have applied a number of doses of WD-40 hoping that would help but to no avail.

I came up with the thought of holding a can of compressed air upside down and spraying the shit out of the spindle near where it enters the housing to see if the metal would contract just enough to break the seal. Is this a good idea or am I likely to fuck the entire thing? What are the chances of the metal actually cracking or something which would just create a bigger headache and more leaks.

Pic is said tap...... yeah I know I've munted it up a bit with the multi-grips but they were the only thing that would grip well enough considering I also had to grip the housing to prevent that from turning.
>>
Get a decent shifter or some irwin vice grips would be better on that smaller hex & give it a shunt with the palm of your hand. Like you are pushing a nose bone in to the brain
>>
File: 41v78WYGh9L._SX425_.jpg (18 KB, 425x302) Image search: [Google]
41v78WYGh9L._SX425_.jpg
18 KB, 425x302
Pair of stilsons would shift it.
>>
>>991338
You are asking to break the sink if you apply cold to it
Go buy the correct sized spanner at the hardware store.
>>
acid to eat at the oxidatoin and baking soda to wash it away
>>
>>991338
Maybe you could try liquid nitrogen before wrenching it?
>>
File: 87412504k.jpg (54 KB, 800x190) Image search: [Google]
87412504k.jpg
54 KB, 800x190
similar situation, pipe wrench was too big and other tools were not up to the challenge. Ended up getting a Knipex slip joint spanner and worked like a charm
>>
believe me or not im a plumber, and heres a secret, tap it. tap the nut with something to loosen the debrit underneath. wd-40 isnt going to help.
>>
>>992032
plumber again, and use a cresent wrench, not vice grips. youre the reason i stay in business...
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.